Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore Lion Server Postgres database only from Time Machine Backup

I just transferred our server from one box to another, and in the process, seem to have dumped our Postgres Caldav database, but not to a file, so it's gone. I know have no calendars and no way to access them. I do have a recent Time Machine backup of the server, but am not sure how to get my calendar data back so I can properly export it. Honestly, I'm not that sure how to properly export it either once I have it back. I'm afraid the previous postgres dump command I use will just do the same thing. Anyone have experience in the matter? Thanks!

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 9:54 AM

7 replies

Apr 23, 2012 10:36 AM in response to woz.was

All I know about that file is it's used (I think) by TM when restoring from a TM backup. I don't know anything else about it unfortunately.

seem to have dumped our Postgres Caldav database, but not to a file, so it's gone.

I don't get it... SQL dumps are nothing but raw text files with SQL statements that will restore your database. You had to have dumped it to a file somewhere that was specified as a path when you entered the command in terminal.

Apr 23, 2012 10:49 AM in response to woz.was

I was helping you out with this in a thread last week: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3890595

In that thread I pointed you to Charle Edge's blog at Krypted where he goes into detail how to backup and restore your iCal database. I also told you this in my instructions:

These instructions assume that you have a backup of your caldav database sitting on your desktop, and it's called 'caldav.sql'.

So you we're supposed to make a backup of your database as the first thing that you do. dropdb wipes out your database completely, it doesn't restore it. You were supposed to make a backup of it first (instructions for this were at the link I gave you to Krypted).

Did you make a full backup of your server before you ran this command?

Apr 23, 2012 11:04 AM in response to woz.was

You're very welcome.

the only backup I have is the Time Machine backup, which I assumed (realize now incorrectly) was enough.

I'm not so sure. The dumpall file is used by Time Machine when restoring from a backup (again I think this is how it works. I don't use Time Machine for server backups so I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's right).

Maybe somebody else on here who has more experience with TM would be able to help you out from here.

Restore Lion Server Postgres database only from Time Machine Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.