Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attachment size issues/fixes for OSX10.7 Mail client?

When using the Mail client to send attachments from my Exchange account, there seems to be a size limit in place. I know that my sysadmin has raised the limit for attachments to at least 50MB. Is there some sort of built-in limit present in the Mail Client? I couldn't locate it in the Preferences, and Google doesn't have anything past 2009/Snow Leopard.

I'm not happy with Outlook, and don't really want to consider other mail client options. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3), Mail Version 5.2

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 7:58 AM

17 replies

Apr 25, 2012 8:25 AM in response to CT

Because several times when sending larger files (ie over 20MB) they either don't send (not in Sent folder, not in Outbox, no record of ever sending them...) or the files that arrive are corrupt or unusable. In one instance, I had sent several hi-res images (300dpi) in multiple formats to a printer: the recipient said that the files were unusable (blurry, pixelated etc.). I uploaded the SAME files to Dropbox, and she was able to view them without any distortion/pixelation etc. This has happened with multiple file types (images, PDF's, very large spreadsheets) to multiple recipients.

It's doubly infuriating because my boss (58 y.o. ex-marine) gets angry because he hates Apple and wants me to switch to a Windoze machine (even though I HAVE Win. on my machine via Bootcamp & Parallels).

Apr 25, 2012 8:36 AM in response to RyanShac

I see. A few things to consider...

* Even if your mail server has a big attachment limit, the recipients server may have a small one, which would lead to messages that disappear without a trace.

* Zip up your files before sending them. (Select files, control-click on them and select "Compress...".)

* Note that attached images enable a little menu in the bottom right-hand corner of the mail message which adjusts the quality of the image.

charlie

Apr 25, 2012 8:58 AM in response to CT

*I already considered the recipient size limit, but I checked with several of them, and they said they had experienced no issues on their end before.

*Compression of most files seems to only compress by about 10% (which is basically nothing...)

*Lastly, i'm an idiot... I didn't even know that this was an option. I'm pretty certain that this was the root of my issues regarding image resolution/clarity.

User uploaded file

Thank you so much for your help! Thank god that there are people out there smarter than me...

Aug 12, 2012 9:40 AM in response to RyanShac

I have a similar issue.

When I try to send attached files through my Exchange server using Mail (e.g., 4 Word docs at 1–3 MBs each, for a total of fewer than 10 MBs), it takes FOREVER before I even get a message saying Mail couldn't connect to the server.

As someone else said, compression doesn't do much, particularly on Word docs. The limit for our server is either 15 or 20 MB (can't remember now), so that's not the problem. The attachments aren't images, so it's not the quality issue. The files just don't send at all because it can't seem to connect, and like I said, it takes a long time for the computer to even tell me this.

When I don't have attachments, or when they're very small (a couple of MBs total), there is no problem connecting to the server.

I think there's a major bug in Mail when it comes to Exchange servers, which is sad because I like it more than Outlook otherwise, in most respects. 😟

Apr 15, 2013 6:13 PM in response to stevenzac

stevenzac wrote:

I tried a 60mb file today. It was about ten photos. I've had this same problem dozens of times. Will always work in outlook on PC but not in Mac environment.

I know my server will simply not permit that large an attachment, regardless of wheter it is sent from a Mac or a PC. It also brings into question the size allowance of one's mailbox on their particular server. I would hate to recieve a 60mb attachment and have to download it.

Pete

Apr 15, 2013 6:47 PM in response to petermac87

This isn't an issue of the server not allowing that big a file. I was sending it from my home while connected via vpn to the office account. I was sending it to someone else in my office. It just won't go in Apple Mail. Then I go to my PC in Windows....open Outlook and can send the same exact email and attachment without any problem to the same person in the office.

Attachment size issues/fixes for OSX10.7 Mail client?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.