Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 4s started making this strange sound like a ping/water drop! What is it?

First time it happened my phone was locked sitting in my lap, nothing lite up just made the sound, 15-20min later I plugged it in to charge and it made the sound again. Nothing ever comes up in notifications just bluooop sound! It has also happened while I have been using my iPhone, while in iMessage and other apps! I have checked every app on my iPhone and sound setting I can think of and can't figure out were it is coming from or why!!

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 11:28 AM

23 replies

May 2, 2012 11:06 AM in response to cookiemonster722

I have been hearing the sound for about 3-4 weeks now. I do not have Skype so it's not that. But I hear the water drip noise at least 5 times a day sometimes more. Sometimes when it's locked and sometimes when I'm on the phone on Internet, messaging, even when I have been playing draw something a few times. But have no clue what it is. Been looking on Internet for a few weeks about it and just recently actually started finding other people have been experiencing the same noise! If I cant find anything in the next couple of days I'm just going to call apple. See if they know anything!! All of my notifications are off in all apps. Maybe we can list our apps to see which ones we have in common?? I know that seems like a lot to do but it's the only solution I can think of....

The weather channel, pixlromatic, instgram, find iPhone, life 360, my AT&T, redbox, Netflix, pandora, eBay, etsy addict, craigs pro+, zulily, har, Pinterest, SAMs club, gas buddy, pic collage, emoji free, scan life, shazam, draw free, wheres my water, hey tell, tango, twitter, fbook, groupon.

This noise bugs the crud out of me so if anyone knows or finds out please let us know!!

May 2, 2012 11:14 AM in response to hchayes09

I'll just name the apps I have in common with you:

The weather channel, Life 360, MyAT&T, Redbox, Netflix, Pandora, eBay, Craigslist Free, Scanlife, shazam, draw free, twitter, and facebook.

My first guess (when the sound first occurred) was the weather channel app. I thought maybe it had something to do with rain coming 🙂

Now I just have to know what it is.

May 2, 2012 1:16 PM in response to cookiemonster722

IT IS Life360!!!

As soon as I open the app, it does the water droplet sound!!! Saying it can't find my location.

I think this is mystery solved for me! Thanks guys!

Edit: cookiemonster722, when you mentioned Life360, I realized I updated that app recently, and it's only been recently that my phone's been making the water droplet sound. Thanks!

Note: I checked notifications again, and Life360 is set to show me alerts and badges, as well as sounds. However, it only plays the water droplet sound, and gives me no other indication that anything is wrong, even though the APP IS CLOSED.

May 2, 2012 1:33 PM in response to cookiemonster722

Of all the apps that others have listed as having in common the only two I have are Facebook and Life360. I've had Life360 installed for much longer than I've been hearing these annoying droplet sounds (which are the same as the SoundBible file that transeffect posted, Thanks!). But I do seem to recall a recent update to Life360 coming thru the app store, so maybe that's when this all started. I have sound alerts for Life360 off, but badges and banners are on. That shouldn't allow Life360 to send sounds to my iPad, but it seems like that's what's happening. I don't actually use Life360, so I'll delete it and see if that does the trick. I will report back in a couple of days. Mahalo to everyone who worked to point us in the right direction.

My 4s started making this strange sound like a ping/water drop! What is it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.