Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: one or more items can't be changed because they are in use

I am trying to copy over 1TB of data from a internal hard drive (in a hard drive dock) to a new internal hard drive when I attempt to copy the data I get the message in the topic title.

I was originally trying to do this transfer on Snow leopard and when this problem surfaced decided this was a good time to upgrade to lion and blow away the old system with all the rubbish and start a fresh but as you can tell I am still getting the same error even after formatting the hard drive before installing lion and not doing anything with the system except attempting to transfer the data.

I have copied larger amounts of data than this previously so have no idea what is going wrong.

Posted on

Page content loaded

May 1, 2012 8:23 PM in response to macnewcomer22 In response to macnewcomer22

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

Drag or copy — do not type — the following line into the Terminal window, then press return:

sudo lsof | grep 'Hard Drive 2'

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up. You don't need to post the warning. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command.

The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear.

Post any lines of output that appear below what you entered — the text, please, not a screenshot.

If any personal information appears in the output, edit before posting, but don’t remove the context.

May 1, 2012 8:23 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: macnewcomer22

Question: one or more items can't be changed because they are in use