Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I capture streaming online video?

Hello,

I may be wrong, but I don't think OSX Lion comes with any app to capture online video (youtube, etc.)

How can I do such?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 2, 2012 3:25 PM

23 replies

May 2, 2012 4:16 PM in response to bill299

In Safari, you can go to the Window menu, and choose Activity. This will open a new window and show you information about the page you have open. If it is a flash movie, you will see the file listed there. Usually in the Mb size, not the KB size as most the files will be. Double click that file, and it will down load the flash movie file.

May 2, 2012 6:26 PM in response to bill299

If you don't mind a copy of a copy you can use Quciktime's video capture (but you need to go through some extra gyrations to also capture the audio that goes with the video). Otherwise there are many flash downloaders available but the one I recommenced as the most general and full featured and also able to convert videos is Jaksta.

And I'm obligated to say that you shouldn't download from sites unless the site's terms of use permit it.

------

Here's a link to a macupdate.com search for flash downloaders.

Possible alternative screen capture utility could iShowU. Others of this category are shown in the Similar Software section of the iShowU download page I linked to.

May 7, 2012 8:33 PM in response to bill299

bill299 wrote:

I couldn't find much in the way of positive comments on Jaksta!

Your choice. Proably not many postive comments because it probably doesn't have as many users given its price. I only got with a 50% off in a macupdate.com promo. All I can say about many of the other flash downloaders is they are more limited in the sites where they can download flash. Jaksta is more general in the way it intercepts the transmission packets and also provides format conversion if desired.

May 15, 2013 9:58 PM in response to bill299

Update on an old thread:

A downloader in Firefox used to work on iMac. After Mountain Lion and an update on Firefox, it went away. Now, Firefox has a new one that works ok so far. I've only done it a couple times.

Also, there is another free app: iLivid. I also tried it and it worked as expected for 2 downloads.

Any other opinions?

:-) Bill

How can I capture streaming online video?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.