Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.mov is audio only. Mpeg -2 issue?

Howdy. I just hired a videographer who gave me .MOV files that won't work on my MacBook Pro / Snow Leopard 10.6.8

It's a .MOV file

1920 x 1080

COdecs MPEG-2, Linear PCM, time code

Color profile: HD (1-1-1)

The audio works, but no video.

I've tried using Quicktime PLAYER, as well as VISUALHUB to try to translate it to DV.

I'm bummed because I need the footage, and it cost a great deal.

Is it a conversion problem? Is there a way for me to get these clips into Final Cut Express 4?

If you can help, you'll be my hero!

Brad in Denver

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on May 2, 2012 9:17 PM

16 replies

May 2, 2012 10:09 PM in response to Roy Bercaw

Yes, I'm updated to 4.0.1 Sorry... I should have been more clear.

Do you think this is something that I can take my files to a more experienced/well-equiped shop and have them ...er... translate the files somehow?

The cameraman was able to see the files playback on his camera, so we are pretty sure that my copies are the same. Yet they are currently worthless.

Soooo bummed.

Any more ideas, my friend?

Brad

May 3, 2012 7:47 AM in response to Bubalooney

Since this is MPEG-2 material, you do need the QuickTime MPEG2 Componentin addition to MPEG Streamclip in order to convert the video. MPEG Streamclip needs this component to read/convert MPEG2 video. Do you have the QT MPEG2 Component installed on your MBP?

Also, I noticed that you are using Snow Leopard (10.6.8). Do you have QuickTime 7 installed on your MBP? MPEG Streamclip needs QuickTime 7. By default, Snow Leopard only has QuickTime X, not QuickTime 7. You can install QuickTime 7 from your Snow Leopard install DVD (under Optional Installs) or download it from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923. After installation it will be in your Utilities folder.

Also, MPEG Streamclip v 1.9.2 would be a better choice, as it is the production version. Your 1.9.3.b2 is a beta version that has already been superceded by another beta version 1.9.3.b7.

May 3, 2012 8:15 AM in response to Bubalooney

The JVC GY-HM100u shoots a JVC-proprietary implementation of MPEG2. It can apparently be used in Final Cut Pro v6.0.4 or later (the original FCP, as in Final Cut Studio. May or may not be usable in Final Cut Pro X).

Whether or not it can be converted/transcoded for use in Final Cut Express - you will have to experiment. MPEG Streamclip is probably your best bet.

May 3, 2012 8:04 AM in response to MartinR

Martin...YOu rock. No, the cameralman just took his SD card out of his camera, I put it in my laptop reader and I copied the files over. No conversion.

I found the quicktime 7 and MPEG 2 Component... It' $20 which is totally worth it if it works. Do I need to upgrade to Quicktime PRO also? (I just have the player.)

(I'm a rookie.... is my goal to use quicktime (and the add'l component) to convert it to DV or some other format?

The goal is Final Cut Pro 4....

So happy for your help. Thanks... I'm starting to breath better already. 🙂

May 3, 2012 8:30 AM in response to Bubalooney

QT Pro is not necessary; just the QT7 player + MPEG Streamclip + the QT MPEG2 Component.

However, on a little further investigation, I think this is JVC's XDCAM-EX format; this is a JVC-proprietary variant of MPEG2 ... FCPro can import/edit it directly but not FCE ... you will just have to experiment to see whether or not it's possible to convert it for use in FCE.

Maybe someone else in the forum can chime in more about using XDCAM material in FCE.

.mov is audio only. Mpeg -2 issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.