Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Collating several individual pages

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help.

I have several individual documents which I wish to collate into one. N

Each individual page is a collage of images and text. Is there a way of flattening the layers so that I can copy and paste each page into a new document or is there another way? I used the Word Processing layout. At the moment I cant seem to copy and paste the entire page, just the object clicked on.

Many Thanks

DD

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 10, 2012 8:28 AM

18 replies

May 10, 2012 1:37 PM in response to DD67

It would help if you told us what you are doing this on.

On a standard keyboard there is the normal backspace (delete) key and above the cursor keys is a forward delete key.

On short keyboards or laptops you get the forward delete by holding down the function key when you hit the delete key.

When you have trouble locating the cursor where you want, use the cursor keys to "feel" your way around and then use which ever delete in which ever direction to get rid of things.

Peter

May 10, 2012 1:40 PM in response to DD67

DD67 wrote:

What happens is I delete the blank page with only a layout break visble but the page that I want to keep gets deleted. aaagh!

You have made a bit of a mess, I suspect, trying to push things into place by hammering away at returns and spaces. When you do that and have floating objects with text wrap on things can pop in and out unexpectedly as various characters fit around the objects.

Peter

May 10, 2012 1:57 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Its the keyborad that came with 10.6.8 mac. In the bottom right there are 4 arrow keys pointing r,l. up and down.

I am unable to get anywhere with the keys re this instruction. I can get rid of the line but then the page its been linked with goes and I cant get it back until I copy and paste it again from original.

The pages took ages to create but I may have to redo them at this rate.

Any further thoughts?

thanks

DD

May 10, 2012 2:22 PM in response to DD67

10.6.8 is OSX, the system software, not a Mac.

It sounds like you have the short keyboard. There should be a function key bottom left, that modifies other keys.

As I said you have a mess of returns and floating objects with wrap. When you disturb it it makes things pop.

Pages doesn't show pages with no text on it, so when the text retracts off a page it disappears, The floating content that was on it, is still in the document but on the missing page/s.

You should cut and paste the floating objects into the text, so they don't get mislaid.

Text is like a long string winding its way from left to right and down the document. Inline objects are part of that string acting like big fat characters. If you don't understand the interactions of floating objects, the surrounding text and the text wrap around the floating objects, stick with inline objects as much as possible, pasting them on their own lines if possible.

Peter

May 10, 2012 2:43 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks very much Peter but no joy. Will have to come back to it tomorrow.

Its terribly frustrating to not be able to remove a simple line but I cant seem to.

feels like it should not be this difficult, I spent hours on the newsletter but cant send it out with 3 "blanks" and cant find the text or other objects that are hidden somewhere. facing having to redo the whole newsletter now. I was planning to send it out as a pdf.

I will know better than to use pages next time! Shame because the design stage was really smooth for a beginner like me.

May 10, 2012 3:17 PM in response to DD67

Hi DD,

Having read the whole thread, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why Peter's suggestions are not working. If you'd like to email me the (combined) document, I'd be happy to take a look at it to see what can be done. You can get my address by clicking my name above this message. Include Pages Collating in the subject line, please.

Regards,

Barry

May 11, 2012 4:06 AM in response to DD67

Thanks so much Peter and Barry, thats such a kind offer of help.

I am sure I have had sound instructions from you Peter but I cant seem to follow them! I am on a steep learing curve with this.

Anyway, I tried to attach the collated document to an email but the file size is too large. From a forum search here, it looks like by reducing the file size I risk losing the quality of the images. This may not be an issue as the newsletter wont be printed but thought I should check with you first. But here is another possiblity which avoids you ahveing to work on it..

.... converting it to a pdf and then just deleting the pages that were "blank" .This has worked except for the fact the numbering is now not sequential and not sure whether the file size gets automatically reduced when I convert to pdf or whether I will still need to find a way to reduce the file size before I send it out.

It will also need to converted into a word document.

Any thoughts?

Once again thank you DD

Collating several individual pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.