Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto wont tranfer pictures from iphone

I cant transfer pictures from my iphone to iphoto because i get an error message saying "Error downloading image.

iPhoto cannot import your photos because there was a problem downloading an image"

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on May 12, 2012 11:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2017 6:45 PM

I think it's because you are using I-cloud back-up. I switched mine off and was able to DL all photos (only photos that were taken after I switched it off). Otherwise you need to get them from iCloud.com. Go to settings, icloud, photos, then choose download and keep originals (vs optimize iPhone storage). Pain to get them from iCloud but moving forward you can download them easily.

41 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2017 6:45 PM in response to Rira

I think it's because you are using I-cloud back-up. I switched mine off and was able to DL all photos (only photos that were taken after I switched it off). Otherwise you need to get them from iCloud.com. Go to settings, icloud, photos, then choose download and keep originals (vs optimize iPhone storage). Pain to get them from iCloud but moving forward you can download them easily.

Jun 10, 2012 8:09 PM in response to Rira

I have an iphone 4S, and I am having the same problem. Can't import photos into iPhoto or Image capture. In Image capture, i get the error message "an error occured while importing. The item 'IMG_0071.MOV" was not imported." in iPhoto I get "iphoto cannot import your photos because there was a problem downloading the image"

I decided to use the USB cable that came with the iPhone instead of the cable I had been using before, which came with an ipod or something.
All the images and videos downloaded instantly. So, i wonder if those USB cables are significant to the device they came with. I noticed my iPad will only charge with the cable it came with. Even though all the apple USB cables look exactly the same.

Try using the cable the phone came with and see if that does the trick.

Aug 20, 2012 11:57 AM in response to Rira

Hi there...

I have had the same problem... I have been using my iphone camera for a few years without a problem. Suddenly one day I could not upload to iphoto. I tried everything you can imagine. Nothing. I even tried to upload to Picassa. No Joy. I called Apple support and they suggested I email to myself whatever photos I wanted to keep and delete the remaining and weed out the offending photo/file... This was not an option. I decided to trawl through my photos one by one and I suddenly noticed that some of my photos on iphone were taken in HD. I remembered I started taking some photos on HD just to try it out. I only had about a dozen of them. I then remembered that these photos were taken about the same time as I started having to upload problems. So I deleted all the HD photos. I re-connected to iphoto and guess what? .... IT WORKED! ..... Happy days! ... Try it and let me know if it works for you! Good luck!

Aidan, Dublin Ireland :-)

Aug 20, 2012 5:14 PM in response to Rira

Here's what worked for me:

- I had 350 photos, and it errored out 12 times at various intervals, even after I rebooted everything.

- So I highlighted only the first 150 and they imported fine, then deleted them from phone. Then imported the next chunk, deleted from phone, etc. until all done.

It appears Apple couldn't handle the size of all of the pictures. After rebooting the devices, I got much further (almost to the end with only 24 pictures left to import) but then it errored out again, and none were imported. So, by importing in smaller chunks, it was able to handle it fine.

So, if all else fails, try that!

Dec 2, 2012 2:39 AM in response to Rira

I had the same issue.

OSX 10.8.2

iPhoto 9.4.2

iPhone 4s (IOS 5.1.1)

I did have about 8 photos in iPhoto. I kept getting "Unable to import files" File Type is Unrecognised... IMG_0016.JPG type error.

Tried turning Off BT - nope.

I just thought bugger it... need to create a new Library - this one might be corupt.

Selected "File > Switch to Library..." then selcted "Create New" button.

New Library Opened and I was able to import 840 Images and Movies from my iPhone 4s without any problems.

Iphoto wont tranfer pictures from iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.