Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 5.1.1 Battery won't charge

I upgraded to iOS 5.1.1 last week this has been the only changes on my iPhone 4 other then normal app updates... Last light I pluged in my device for charge as is normal. Today I woke up and the device indicated that it didn't charge and is showing that I have about 35% of the charge remanding. Pluged in the device to another charger / cord and while the battery charging icon shows that it was charging but after 2hrs I still only had 35%.

Friday was the first time i knowest any issue with my battery charge and I'm pretty sure my iPad 2 showing a greater then normal battery drain

This seems to be a little different issue then others have reported. Anyone else having this problem? FYI I've trieda hard reset.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 14, 2012 8:02 AM

30 replies

May 14, 2012 6:45 PM in response to Evan Santé

HELP….

I took the iPhone4 ATT 32gb to Apple Store and they were there typical NO HELP!! But they did confirm that the Battery was OK.

I just finished a iOS restore original settings… didn’t restore from any previous backup so the iPhone is set to factory settings the Version indicates 5.1.1 (9B206).

My iPhone has now been plugged into my MacBook Pro (Windows 7) using my normal iPhone Connecter cable. It has been 90 min. since I finished the restore. The battery gage indicates that the battery is at 9% charge and is charging however the percentage hasn’t gone up or down in over an hour it seems to be stuck at 9%.

The icon for the device in iToons dosn't show the charging icon as it normaly does and the lock screen on the iPhone shows the Battery Gage but it also dosen't show the charging icon... the only place that shows the charging icon is the upper right corner of the home screen

ANY one else experiencing this type of problem?? Or any idea what I might now do?? The device / Battery / Charger have been working perfectly the only change is that I updated to 5.1.1 … HELP PLEASE

May 15, 2012 9:37 AM in response to Evan Santé

Issue still unresolved!!!

I plugged in my iPhone into a charger overnight, when the device was not plugged into a wall it was plugged into a Mophy External Battery….and the device is still reading 9%... It indicates that it is charging on the upper right hand corner of the home screen but the number never changes still running only factory settings.

Am I the only one who is seeing this????

May 15, 2012 9:51 AM in response to Evan Santé

Hello Evan,

From what I have read, this sounds, like a software bug. The only thing I can strongly suggest is ensuring Apple are aware of this bug or error, from there latest "software upgrade".

Until then have you tried letting your phone battery go completely flat? Whether this will have an affect, also when the battery gets closer to the dying stage does the battery percentage change from 9% for example down to 8,7,6,5,4,3,2 and 1%?

If so maybe and hopefully on its next charge / reboot it will have an affect and re-show your battery percentage, as Apple have said that battery seems perfectly fine. I'd also suggest having a look through the iPhones and iOS 5 user guide:

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#iphone

Good luck & hope the above helps!

May 15, 2012 10:17 AM in response to Jamalam10

I don't have any of the options you provided... with the new iPhone less than 6 mth away I’m not going to buy a new one... I have a great repair shop in NYC that will replace the battery at a reasonable fee but the battery was working fine prior to the iOS 5.1.1 update so I don’t think replacing the battery will help.

It’s one of two things: because it’s a 18 mth old phone the logic board has gone bad but I agree with you it’s more likely an issue with the iOS update.

But why does it seem to only affect my Phone??? If it was an update issue then others would be reporting the problem, like those who are experiencing battery drain issues.

May 15, 2012 10:47 AM in response to Evan Santé

An I see your point, if you are getting a new phone within the next half a year then their not 100% much point. I say if Apple have said the battery is perfectly fine, theirs not much point in replacing battery, as it's more the software which is showing the percentage left of your battery.

That is a good question, and I haven't seen anything like this before either. This must be a new issue they're facing with the software update, only thing I can suggest is maybe contacting Apple again; and make them aware of this issue. Plus also keeping an eye on the forums for anyone else experiencing this issue.

May 15, 2012 10:50 AM in response to Evan Santé

I am having the same problem. I have the iphone 4 and updated to the 5.1.1 and now my phone doesnt charge. I brought it to the Apple Store and they told me I needed a replacement iPhone which will cost $150 (great service...NOTTTTTTT).

I'm ****** because i take great care of my iphone and this is the only time I have had problems with it. All because I updated to 5.1.1

I have a replacement battery coming in to see if the update made the battery shot, but well see

May 15, 2012 11:10 AM in response to trueliu

THE PEOPLE WHO WORK FOR APPLE ARE *%#&% #$@*^!!!!!

The only reason I wasted my time going to the Apple Store is because they have access to tools and a KBase that isn’t publicly available. I really don’t think it’s an issue with the battery. If it isn’t the OS then it’s a logic board problem…

I’m going to try and reinstall firmware thru OSX and not Windows to see if that might work??? Between this and a problem with Adobe I have lost 4 days of work and I’m NOT HAPPY!!

May 15, 2012 11:23 AM in response to Evan Santé

I have a feeling if you downgrade back to 5.1 that the phone will work normal. The only problem I have that is my phone is dead and hoping the new battery has some juice in it so my machine will recoginze it. It was only about $6 for an OEM replacement battery (surprisingly). But I read downgrading it you need to have the SHSH blogs saved because Apple made it harder to downgrade firmware for what ever reason. I am going to try anyways.

But I think you might be right about the logic board...do you know if there would be a fix for that?

May 15, 2012 12:44 PM in response to trueliu

I know that if you could easily downgrade to 5.1 that it would resolve the problem… but in order to do that you have to jailbreak your phone… there is no legitimate downgrade path to the firmware.

I did a quick search and it seems that there are companies that will replace the logic board but when you start to go down that path you’re just asking for trouble. It’s technology and once it starts to go bad your just wasting money trying to repair it… unfortunately for me this is an 18mth old phone I was hoping to use it until a new iPhone came out…

FYI - I tried switching to OSX and downloading / reinstalling 5.1.1 thru MAC OS. That didn’t resolve the issue. At 2% now… going to brick my phone now... drain the battery to see if maybe that will work... probably won’t but… please let me know if replacing the battery works for you

I realy don't know why I hate more Apple or Adobe!!!

May 16, 2012 12:50 AM in response to Evan Santé

It's not just you. I have had my iPhone 4 for about 15 months with no problems, did the upgrade to 5.1.1 over the weekend. Since then I have not been able to charge it - all devices are coming up "charging not supported with this accessory". I have done all the appropriate resets, restores etc. Tried it on numerous chargers. I rang Apple, who of course said this was the first they heard of the issue. If I left it on overnight it would charge to 5%, despite never actually showing that it was charging. I have insurance, so took it into the shop today. I am going to be out of pocket, which I am not to impressed about. I have an iMac, iPad and this is the first time I have ever had any problems with any Apple product. Good luck to everyone, but in my experience nothing I could do has fixed the problem.

May 16, 2012 9:40 AM in response to Sammyjo007

Just an update…

IT IS AN ISSUE WITH 5.1.1!!

I took my iPhone into my local non-Apple fixit place on 23rd street…

The tech I spoke with, I have worked with in the past and have a good relationship, indicated they had received an in ordainment number of devices with battery issues since 5.1.1 was released.

He had 3 iPhone4 open, 1 was running 5.1. I asked him to put my battery in the device to see if it would charge and YES IT DID CHARGE PROPERLY!!!

I went ahead and replaced the battery on mine, after all it was a 2 year old battery, and all is working perfectly… after a full charge I unplugged from wall and after 14 hrs. with miner usage my battery has only drained to 85%

So the good news is that the fixe was to just replace the battery but %&^ Apple. My belief is that they are fully aware of the issue and did it in order to sell more iPhones.

This is just like the issue with my iPad… I have an iPad 2 and a MacBook Pro so I should have no problem charging the iPad directly from the USB port. However if I plug it in while the MacBook is running OSX the iPad charges perfectly… However if I plug it in while Windows 7 is running (It is the only OS on my internal Hard Drive) the iPad will not charge.

I would love to know if anyone else can duplicate the results to confirm what I saw yesterday!!!

May 16, 2012 9:59 AM in response to Evan Santé

Hey Evan,

Are you sure the fix is just to switch the battery and nothing else with the logic board or anything. I am still waiting for my battery to come in the mail and hopefully switch it and have that be the fix(very excited). Are you sure your friend tech didn't do anything else to it?

I am happy your iphone is fixed and hoping I will have the same results.

iOS 5.1.1 Battery won't charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.