Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase Mac OS 10.7

Which name and format should I use in erasing Mac OS v. 10.7? Because everytime I try to do the erase, it is looking for the name.. I have no idea what it could be. I have macbook pro late 2011 model.

Anybody can help please?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 9:05 PM

21 replies

Jun 1, 2012 9:37 PM in response to andiglen

I tried to erase disk using Disk Utility and while doing the process, the name is missing and I guess I must type something in there... I could make it work. I have OS X v 10.7.3

I actually want to do a full system restore because the "OTHER" option of my mac usage is eating half of my memory and I couldnt do anything to get rid of them.

Jun 2, 2012 2:21 AM in response to Darko Ibrahimpasic1

My Macbook is already running OS X Lion v 10.7.3 and I would like to reinstall it... And during the process (erasing), in UTILITY DISK, is asking for name under the choosed disk... I don't know which name and format I should fill in there to make the erasing successful for the preparation of reintallation...

I would really appreciate if somebody could help me.

Jun 2, 2012 2:42 AM in response to andiglen

If it's the Erase process. It's just askign you to choose a name for the disk, (Macintosh HD is what most people have).

But if it is the Restore Process it's askng for the name of the disk upon which you'd like to install. Make sure you have it set as GUID and MacOS Extended Journaled or MacOS Extended Journaled Case Sensitive.

You can type the name in the box or drag from the list as it suggests.

Jun 2, 2012 2:41 AM in response to andiglen

Ok now I get it.. You are going about it the wrong way.. You can't delete a partition you are using... Think about it. It's kinda stupid analogy but you can't get rid of your car while you are in it. :-) if it is a new Mac that shipped whit lion, you should have a recovery partition. To boot up in it restart the Mac and hold down option key when you hear the sound. Grey screen pops up giving you choice to boot up into OS or recovery partition. If you upgraded from snow leopard, download fee utility called "lion recovery" or similar which will create recovery partition on your drive, then follow steps above.

Jun 2, 2012 2:55 AM in response to andiglen

When starting the system hold down the Command Plus the r keys (Command+r) at the same time. That will boot the computer to the Recovery HD partition on your internal drive. Once the system boots select Disk Utility and click Continue. Once in Disk Utility Select the Macintosh HD section (Partition) and click the Erase Tab. Once on the Erase Tab select the format, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and in the name area call it Macintosh HD (if that is not already the name in that area).

Then click the Erase button.

Once that is finished exit out of, close, Disk Utility and you be back at the original screen. Now Select Reinstall OS X and click continue. Have the computer connected to your internet router with an Ethernet cable.

Jun 2, 2012 3:17 AM in response to andiglen

The only problem with using WiFi is if that signal fails for any reason the downloading of the Lion install files will fail and you will have to start over. So it is best, In My Honest Opinion, to connect the system to your Internet Router to do this type of thing.

I don't really understand why this seems to be so hard for certain people. If you have WiFi in your home you have a internet router that has 4 Ethernet ports on it. That router is Someplace in your home. Is it so hard to actual FIND that router and place the computer near it so they can connect the computer to it with an Ethernet cable. Especially when doing the Re-Install of what make the computer work.

Whatever.

Good Luck.

PS

If you follow my instructions and the WiFi doesn't drop out in 1-3+ hours you will be greeted with the screen that comes up when you first turn on a New Mac.

Jun 2, 2012 3:41 AM in response to andiglen

OK Restart your system and just after the start up sound, the chime, hold down the Option key (that is the key bbetween the Control key and the Command key) for about 10 seconds then let it go. From the screen that comes up select the Recovery HD and hit the enter/Return key.

Then once the computer fully starts up follow the instructions in my first post.

Erase Mac OS 10.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.