1 2 3 Previous Next 37 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2014 8:27 AM by anotherkate
paulanderson Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello,

I'm having a problem with my playlists on my iPad 2. I can sync the playlists I have ok from my iMac, etc., and I'm using iCloud and iTunes Match too, but for some reason my iPad has also made some Genius playlists on its own (not on my iMac or iPhone though) and I can't find any way to delete them. Does anyone know how to delete these? Thanks!

Paul

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1
  • 1. Re: Can't delete Genius playlists on iPad
    rbrylawski Level 6 Level 6 (10,790 points)

Read the Chapter on Genius in the iPad user guide (Conveniently Bookmarked in Safari on your iPad).  Once you have created a Genius Playlist and you have synced to the cloud or your computer, you can not delete the Genius list directly on iPad.  But you can on your computer via iTunes sync.

• 2. Re: Can't delete Genius playlists on iPad
    Demo Level 9 Level 9 (76,360 points)

I don't use iTunes Match. But this is how I remove the Genius playlists on my iPad.

Launch iTunes on your Mac. Go to Store>Turn Off Genius. Then sync again with iTunes. Your Genius playlists should be gone.

• 3. Re: Can't delete Genius playlists on iPad

That would be the correct way Demo as it can't be done directly on iPad.

• 4. Re: Can't delete Genius playlists on iPad

I tried doing it through iTunes on my iMac before, but under Store, it only shows that I can update Genius, not turn it off...?

• 5. Re: Can't delete Genius playlists on iPad

It's been some time since I used Genius, but if memory serves, Genius is on the left side of the iTunes page, below where your device would be listed if it is connected and if you click it, if it is on, that is where you turn it off.

• 6. Re: Can't delete Genius playlists on iPad

I had Genius unclicked in preferences so it didn't show in the left sidebar, so it seems it was turned off already, because when I re-added it to the sidebar, I got the message that I had just turned it on. ;-)

But from the top bar in iTunes, I can still only update Genius, not turn it off from there (but I could turn off iTunes Match from there if I wanted to).

Maybe Genius just isn't playing nicely with iTunes Match? It would be nice if they updated Music on the iPad so you could just delete or turn off Genius mixes right there. I don't have this problem on my iPhone (also using iOS 5.1.1 and iTunes Match), just my iPad, oh well.

• 7. Re: Can't delete Genius playlists on iPad
    Demo Level 9 Level 9 (76,360 points)

That is why I prefaced my remarks with "I don't use iTunes Match". I have no idea how it works if you use iTunes Match, but Genius Playlists are very easy to turn on and off for me just as I stated in my post.

You turn it off and on in Store>Turn On Genius or Turn Off Genius, the Genius Mixes and Playlist headings show up on the Left side of iTunes when turned on,

• 8. Re: Can't delete Genius playlists on iPad

I don't use iTunes match either, but my guess would be if you turn it off, you'll be able to turn Genius off as well. 

• 9. Re: Can't delete Genius playlists on iPad

Demo - yeah, it seems to function a bit differently if you are using iTunes Match. iTunes now doesn't give me the option to turn it off the way that you can. But unclicking it in preferences *seems* to turn it off as then it doesn't show in the left sidebar. Doesn't fix my iPad problem, but oh well. Might just have to wait for another update to the Music app or iTunes Match or something.

Thanks for everyone's help!

• 10. Re: Can't delete Genius playlists on iPad
    rfs from nj Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Open the genius playlist on your iPad.  Click save.  Click edit.  Individually delete each of the songs in the playlist.  Go back to the playlist screen.  Hold your finger on the playlist until the "x" appears in the upper left-hand corner.  Click the "x."  Voila!

• 11. Re: Can't delete Genius playlists on iPad

That only seems to work with non-Genius playlists. The Genius ones don't open to see the songs, they just start playing when I click on them...

• 12. Re: Can't delete Genius playlists on iPad

If you're talking about genius playlists created by clicking the genius icon visible on each song in your collection, my directions work exactly as described.  I just created another playlist, then opened and deleted it the same way.  If, on the other hand, you're talking about genius mixes created by iTunes, they can only be deleted in iTunes.  Connect your iPad to your computer.  Click on the iPad under devices.  Click on the music tab (between tones and movies).  Uncheck entire music library.  Check playlists, albums, artists, genres.  Uncheck all genius mixes, or just the ones you don't want.  Just a thought...do you have the latest software installed?  I have 5.1.1 and that might make a difference.  If you do have it installed and my instructions still don't work, you might want to call tech support or stop by your local Apple store with your iPad.

• 13. Re: Can't delete Genius playlists on iPad

Yes, these are playlists that were created automatically on the iPad, not by me. I can't delete them in iTunes either because when I go to the Music tab, it just shows that my iTunes Match is on, nothing else, so I can't uncheck anything. But, I can try turning off iTunes Match temporarily and then see if I can do it... I do have the latest software version on the iPad, 5.1.1. Thanks!

• 14. Re: Can't delete Genius playlists on iPad

iTunes Match and iCloud are buggy. If you temporarily deactivate iTunes Match you should be able to delete the playlists, but they will probably come back when it's reactivated. Unless I'm mistaken, iTunes Match is a paid service which should entitle you to tech support. Good luck!

1 2 3 Previous Next