Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone tried Samsung ML-2165W on OS 10.7.4?

I tried numerous different times to connect Samsung ML-2165W printer wirelessly and it's not connecting.

Any suggestions or anyone have this printer working properly with the OS 10.7.4?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 4:09 AM

Hi,

I got it working after few steps. Here's how:

1. Get device's IP address. It should be printed on paper when

"(Cancel or Stop/Clear) -button" is held down for 5 secs. Did not work for me thought. Got the IP address from Samsung's "Easy Printer Manager" after I installed printer through USB. For me it was 169.254.112.195 ( maybe it is the default )

2. Change your MacBook to use the Samsung's own adhoc-WLAN. On OSX Wi-fi list there was SSID "sthrough" or similar ( can't remember anymore ) under "Device" -section.

3. Now connect to the Syncthrough Website http://169.254.112.195/sws/index.html ( use the IP you got in item 1. )

4. Login as admin ( password is in the installation guide or google, I guess I can't write it here )

5. Configure the Device's Network settings to use your own WLAN with correct SSID and password. You can choose your WLAN's SSID from the settings list ( good way to check that Samsung sees your WLAN )

6. Apply and http-connection is lost.

7. Add printer with OSX tools. If you can't find it Restart printer ( I did this just to be sure that it refreshes the connection to my WLAN )

Note: Not sure if you need to install Samsung's drivers from the installation disc. I did while troubleshooting.

Optional: Add the device's MAC address to your AirPort Extreme's allowed clients -list. ( If you use this feature )

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2012 4:09 AM in response to Jonny_NYC

Hi,

I got it working after few steps. Here's how:

1. Get device's IP address. It should be printed on paper when

"(Cancel or Stop/Clear) -button" is held down for 5 secs. Did not work for me thought. Got the IP address from Samsung's "Easy Printer Manager" after I installed printer through USB. For me it was 169.254.112.195 ( maybe it is the default )

2. Change your MacBook to use the Samsung's own adhoc-WLAN. On OSX Wi-fi list there was SSID "sthrough" or similar ( can't remember anymore ) under "Device" -section.

3. Now connect to the Syncthrough Website http://169.254.112.195/sws/index.html ( use the IP you got in item 1. )

4. Login as admin ( password is in the installation guide or google, I guess I can't write it here )

5. Configure the Device's Network settings to use your own WLAN with correct SSID and password. You can choose your WLAN's SSID from the settings list ( good way to check that Samsung sees your WLAN )

6. Apply and http-connection is lost.

7. Add printer with OSX tools. If you can't find it Restart printer ( I did this just to be sure that it refreshes the connection to my WLAN )

Note: Not sure if you need to install Samsung's drivers from the installation disc. I did while troubleshooting.

Optional: Add the device's MAC address to your AirPort Extreme's allowed clients -list. ( If you use this feature )

Aug 2, 2012 9:18 AM in response to Mr.Anselmi

Thanks Mr.Anselmi. This helped *a lot* since configuring this beast through USB is impossible using the software provided.

However, please notice that the ad-hoc connection (Printer's own wifi access point) isn't activated by default. It turns out that luckily using the so-named "Easy Printer Manager" app is able to set up the printer you are able to activate it, then connect to the AP and eventualy connect to the printer's own IP adress.

The default login is : default | sec00000.

Sep 2, 2012 10:20 AM in response to Jonny_NYC

It might sound strange, but I discovered when reading a review that it works by installing it in Windows on your Mac. I tried it via Bootcamp and indeed it works. Running through the windows installation procedure. Then starting up in MacOS mode again and in the system prefs, you will notice the wifi printer when adding a new printer. Of course, you need to have Windows on your Mac...

Sep 8, 2012 10:32 AM in response to Mr.Anselmi

Hi Mr. Anselmi,

I have tried your suggestion but I am unable to get pass step no 3. I am able to get the IP address but was not able to open the page. Also I did not get it from the easy printer manager instead I got it from a print out from the printer. I saw the SSID on the airport manuel under device but it cannot be connected.

Any advice please. Thank you.

Sep 24, 2012 7:47 AM in response to Geert

I just bought a Samsung ML-2165 (not wireless) and can't install it on a MacBook with OS 10.7.4 (Lion). Samsung says it is a known issue with Apple and to download the printer driver provided on the Apple web site instead of using theirs. I tried that, with no success, even though the installer reported success installing the driver. I got the same message when I tried to add the printer as before: "The software for this printer is currently unavailable. Contact the printer's manufacturer for the latest software". (At one try I got a different message: "Unable to find and appropriate software on your system after searching...", but I have been unable to replicate this one.)

There is another discussion stream related the the ML-2165, but I didn't see anything helpful there for my USB situation. We don't have Windows on this computer Installing in Windows seems to have worked, for someone, but maybe only wireless anyway.

I didn't see anything related to the ML-2165 on the Lion Printing and Scanning forum, but maybe I missed it and will check again.

Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions to offer? Is there any point in trying to call Apple for assistance? Not sure if I would have to pay for that. I will also post this under the ML-2165W (wireless) discussion thread.

Oct 12, 2012 3:50 PM in response to Blackhorse@29

Well, I've just set it up on 10.8.2. Here's what I did. First I plugged it in on USB and I've let the OS download the driver for me. Then I have downloaded the printer easy setup here http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/ML-2165W/XAA

After I've booted the "Samsung Easy Printer Manager" and pressed the fugly "arrow with a window" button on the toolbar to switch the app from the beginner mode to the pro mode to get at all the settings. Then I went to "Device settings" button and onto "Network", and opened the network conf. wizard. There I've selected our WiFi and set the WAP key. Then saved to the device. Once done, I've removed the USB printer from the printer list in System Preferences and clicked the Plus key below the list, and the printer was in proximity. I then added it and voila!

The only thing is - I left it on DHCP and I imagine unstable/new lease might make the print facilities in OSX address the printer with the old IP, but we will try it this way first.

Oct 19, 2012 1:08 AM in response to ajhd1982

ML2165W is NOT airprint-capable. AFAIK currently there are no Samsung models on the European market that are AP-enabled, but I've decided to upgrade from ML2010 to this one since I don't have an iPad and I have lots of respect for Samsung for their actually decent non-Windows support (drivers without the craptacular Control Centers, no all-in-one appliances and so on).

You could always forward your AP printing through your laptop though with some AirPrint gateway software.

Dec 12, 2012 9:11 PM in response to Julik T

Just a quick update here for anyone else who may be in a similar situation. Julik T's instructions above were insanely helpful.

Here's what I did:

• Unpacked and fired up my new Samsung ML-2165w this evening.
  • Running Mac OS 10.7.4 on my MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel i7.
  • After reading over several forum discussions (including this one) I checked in at Samsung's support page (guess I should have started there in the first place!).

Here's the link:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/ML-2165W/XAA

• Scrolled down
  • Selected the -Manuals and Downloads- tab
  • Clicked on -Software- (see image below), and
  • Found at the very bottom of the page a link to the Wireless Setting (Software) (ver.1.07) Mac OS 10.4 ~ 10.7.

Bingo.
Looks like it was last updated August 10, 2012, so available at least 4-5 months before this post.

Downloaded and installed the package. I had already installed the ML-2165w via USB earlier, trying to use the included software to connect to AirPort Express here at the house. Followed the steps, made a few quick changes to the wireless settings (typed in my SSID, password, etc.), unplugged USB when instructed. Boom.

Only thing left to do was delete the USB printer installation in System Preferences > Print and Scan once the Samsung was set up as a wireless network printer.

Now gotta do the same thing for my wife's laptop and we're good to go.

¡Saludos cordiales a todos!

User uploaded file

Jan 12, 2013 8:52 AM in response to Julik T

Thank you Julik for helping with this brilliant information when I was about to tear my hair out. They allowed me at last to set up my Samsung ML-2165W for wireless use.

On my MacBook Air, it was not immediately obvious to me that I should scroll the Device Settings/Network screen in Easy Print Manager to reach the necessary wifi information that needed changing. So be aware that you will need to do that!

But having done so and after telling it my home router's details, I only had to delete the printer's USB icon and find the printer on the network with the + button in the printers section of System Preferences, and all worked well.

Jul 25, 2013 8:40 AM in response to Lucian0

I've got a ML2165 at the office and setup to print via WiFi on my macbook. I followed the instructions and set it up with USB first.

The ongoing problem (OSX 10.8.4) is that every morning when I come in with my macbook it fails to print properly and I seem to have to delete and add it back which is partially successful. Rebooting the printer by unplugging it also seems to be necessary at times.

The easy-print manager seems to be slow and pretty much useless. It will tell you the IP address if you forgot it or have no other way of obtaining it. I looked on my windows machine's print driver which was faster than waiting for the "manager" software to find the printer.

The sync thru web never connects so I have no idea what that does or is supposed to do.

FYI, there's an iOS App that makes this available on your iPad and iPhone. I can't comment on it's use-ability, but it doesn't seem like you can print from your native apps (email, photos); you have to boot the samsung app, then find the item you want to print from there. That works, but it's irritating.

IMHO I give this printer very low marks for Apple compatibility, but it does work in windows so far.

Has anyone tried Samsung ML-2165W on OS 10.7.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.