Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outlook Mac 2011 reminders won't go away after dismissal

I'm running Outlook for Mac 2011 and my office reminders keep popping up even after I've dismissed them. Additionally, I'm also sending out new invites to meeting attendees, etc. apparently. It's something with the calendar syncing with the iPhone I think but am not sure how to fix / stop it. Help?

iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 6:56 AM

Outlook is a Microsoft product, not an Apple one. You will get better and faster help by posting on Microsoft's simialr forums here:

Office for Mac forums

Those forums have the advantage in that MS employees from their Macintosh Business Unit often provide answers to posts.

You, like many others, been misled by counterintuitive forum labeling to the forum for iMacs made before 2006; they cannot run Office 2011, so I'm asking the Host to move your post to teh forum for current generation iMacs.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2012 6:56 AM in response to spollock228

Outlook is a Microsoft product, not an Apple one. You will get better and faster help by posting on Microsoft's simialr forums here:

Office for Mac forums

Those forums have the advantage in that MS employees from their Macintosh Business Unit often provide answers to posts.

You, like many others, been misled by counterintuitive forum labeling to the forum for iMacs made before 2006; they cannot run Office 2011, so I'm asking the Host to move your post to teh forum for current generation iMacs.

Jun 9, 2012 7:34 AM in response to spollock228

I support a lot of clients who use Outlook 2011. My first suggestion would be to clear the cache for your calendar in Outlook. It's easy. You do this by right-clicking your calendar(s) and selecting "Folder Properties". When the Properties window opens, click the Empty button under the Empty Cache section. This will clear your local copy of the calendar, and make Outlook download a fresh copy of all of your events from the server. I see this a lot. It's a synching issue in Outlook 2011. You can do this with all of the folders in Outlook (mail folders, contacts, etc). It's advisable that all users of Outlook 2011 do this frequently with large folders if they're on Exchange, Kerio Connect, or IMAP accounts. Outlook 2011 has some nice features, but I prefer Mail, iCal, and Address Book over Outlook 2011. They don't get corrupted, and they don't crash a lot if a user has a lot of email content. I hope this helps. I didn't want to redirect you some place else. The Microsoft forums have been a lot of help for me, but as an Apple Consultant, I've had to learn a lot about Outlook 2011 since it first shipped in Oct. 2010. It's really just a remodelled Entourage. It's still prone to the same old database problems that Entourage had, which is why I won't use it.

Jun 16, 2012 2:26 PM in response to spollock228

You may not be right-clicking in the right place. After you click Calendar in the bottom left side bar in Outlook, you will see your calendar list just above with all of the categories listed below your calendar. Right click Calendar there. If this fails to fix your problem, I would also suggest deleting your account, and then re-adding it. This will also clear the folder caches from Outlook. This happens a lot on Exchange accounts, Kerio accounts, and IMAP accounts. This is one of many reasons why I won't use Outlook. It just seems too error prone.

User uploaded file

Nov 9, 2012 11:10 AM in response to spollock228

KTG Howie, I'm with you on avoiding Outlook 2011. I'm having a ton of trouble converting from Apple Mail, ICal and Google Calendar over to Outlook for Mac 2011 because my company needs me to be on their Exchange server so that I can see my teammates calendar avail, and I haven't figured out a way to do this on iCal or GoogleCal. Outlook 2011 sounded good, but now that I'm into the conversion of data and Outlook is crashing like every 10 minutes, I'm wondering if it's worth it. I wanted to have everything in one place, but I can't find a way to get all of my personal calendars transferred and now Hostway tells me that I probably need to reinstall Outlook (either a bad profile, I didn't install it right or I have too much data on the server. Who knows? That's all I know is that I have reminders showing up from 2008 now and emails that I've deleted, keep showing back up. Ready to chuck it. KTG Howie, any idea if there's a way to set up iCal with Exchange so that I can see my team's availability without needing Outlook?

Feb 8, 2013 1:29 PM in response to Lmrich316

Starting with Snow Leopard, the Mac supports Exchange natively. There should be no reason why this wouldn't work unless there is an unusual Exchange implementation at your office, or it's older than Exchange 2007. It sounds more like you have bad IT guys with no creativity more than anything. My experience with Outlook 2011 has been dismal. If I was to state exactly what I think about it, I would probably get banned from this forum. It is the WORST choice for business email. It does not handle large mailboxes very well, and it constantly gets out of synch with the server. It's horrible.

Apr 11, 2013 9:18 AM in response to KTGHowie

This was very helpful, thank you. However, by clearing the cache it got rid of all of my existing calendar appointments. is there a way to get those back or do I need someone to resend them? The appointments currently live on the exchange server and I can see them in my GoodLink app on my iPhone, they are just missing from Outlook calendar.

Thanks!

Aug 15, 2013 9:15 AM in response to genag

Hmmm....I had this issue.....tried clearing the cache (which does clear everything out....I assume the downloading will bring things back!)...but added a new appt, & sadly the old one popped up as another reminder again.

So doesn't look like it worked for me :-(

I use blackberry, & that does NOT have the appt...nor does our outlook web access....so it is hidden somewhere else :-(

Welcome any ideas !

Outlook Mac 2011 reminders won't go away after dismissal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.