Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1.1 Using 3G Data on WiFi networks

Hi everyone!

I have an iPhone 4 and it has been using from 10MB to 100MB of my data plan while I'm on a WiFi network. This usually happens at night or when my iPhone is on standby and is killing my 200MB plan. I am almost always on a WiFi network and the most data usage seems to be around 12AM - 6AM. I have just picked up on this when I was out of state and needed to have my 3G on to get good reception (data roaming was off). Before then I usually never had my cellular network on and never had much of a problem. Now i have come home to an AT&T M-Cell. I cannot connect to the M-Cell unless I'm on 3G.

I have read many forums that all say that you need to turn off your data while I'm on a WiFi network. However this is just a work around and not a solution to what is actually using so much data. Has anyone found a better solution or has found an app that will keep a log of what is taking up so much of my data plan?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1, AT&T 200MB data plan

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 12:20 PM

26 replies

Jul 31, 2012 6:50 AM in response to Blackwell37

It does not matter if you plug your phone into a power source. There are still certain things that will use the cellular data over the wifi.

I am having the same issue. It's not so much a big deal on my phone since I have unlimited data, but on the other phones in my plan, it kills the 200MB plan within a week.

On my own phone, even though it's not a big deal with unlimited, I am now using 3 times as much data as I used to before about 3 weeks ago.

This has only been happening since about the middle of July. I can't figure it out either.

Jul 31, 2012 7:01 AM in response to Blackwell37

There are two issues in play here. First, as stated by wjosten, WiFi is turned off when the phone is asleep, unless it is connected to power.

Also, the timestamp on entries on your bill or online usage on your carrier's web site are meaningless. The time shown is the time that a summary of usage was posted to the billing system. That usage could have occurred any time in the previous 24 hours.

The only ways to tell when the usage actually occurred is to note the usage at various times during the day (Settings/General/Usage) or install a data monitoring app such as Dataman, which will report all data usage, the time it occurred and where you were when it occurred. Note that Dataman runs in background continuously and will result in less battery life.

Jul 31, 2012 7:14 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Yeah, unfortunately they took Dataman Pro out of the App store, which is the app that tells you what exactly is using your data. The regular Dataman app just reports how much of your data is being used on a given day 😟

I leave my phone plugged in all night while I sleep, and I still get approximately 20MB use during the night, every night.

Jul 31, 2012 7:20 AM in response to arvetus

Here is a copy of my usage report for my phone with the 200MB plan. The data "hogging" began 3 days before the billing cycle ended on the 26th.

User uploaded file

I'm now 4 days into the new billing cycle and already at 50% use. This is absolutely rediculous and the fact that wifi stays on and is used when the phone is plugged in is bunk. The phone is obviously using cellular data.

Jul 31, 2012 7:30 AM in response to arvetus

When during the day is it using cellular data? If you don't know you have no idea whether WiFi is on or not. Unless you leave your phone plugged in 24 hours a day and you are still using cellular data you have no idea whether WiFi is on or off. As I said, dataman will tell you. But perhaps you don't want to know, because if you did know you might have no reason to complain.

Jul 31, 2012 7:50 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Wrong again. That is also a feature of Dataman Pro.

The version of Dataman currently available in the App store does nothing other than tell you what data was used during a given billing period (the entire month) and send you push alerts when you reach the thresholds you set in the app. No time stamps, no specific app usage, that's it.

So, it really doesn't help.

**edit**

Found "Data Usage Pro" which looks similar, but I don't see anything in the screenshots verifying that it splits up the data usage by application and timestamp.

Jul 31, 2012 8:00 AM in response to arvetus

Interesting. My version of dataman, which is not dataman pro, has a setting for Precise Tracking, which tracks usage every 10 minutes. Also has an option for geotagging.

If yours doesn't have that you will have to note usage periodically throughout the day, in particular, when it is plugged in and should be on WiFi.

I know that my 4S does not use cellular data when it is plugged in and on WiFi, so if yours does there is something wrong with it.

Jul 31, 2012 8:06 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Not sure what happened to Dataman, but it sure doesn't tell me much. I don't have that "precise tracking" option in my version of the app, which I downloaded yesterday.

I noted on Dataman's website that the "pro" version was removed by apple from the apple app store, so they may have scaled back their "basic" version that is in the store currently.

I am checking with the developer of the other similar app I found (Data Usage Pro) to see if it will do what I need to help in tracking this issue. I'll post if I get a reply.

Aug 2, 2012 11:59 AM in response to GZukes

Yeah, I've put it in airplane mode the last two nights and there's NOTHING between the time I turned it off and the time I turned it back on, unlike the other nights that had data logged during the night.

I completely deleted iCloud. I only had "find my phone" turned on before, and that had been turned on since I bought the phone at Christmas with never an issue. I'll leave data on overnight tonight and see if the iCloud has anything to do with it.

iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1.1 Using 3G Data on WiFi networks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.