Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro no audio in ??

I notice there is no microphone in socket on the new Macbook Pro Retina.

I need to record voiceovers via a mic for FCP, how will I do this now ?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2017 1:57 PM

This kind of thing is why Apple will eventually lose market share. The people that kept Apple afloat during the tough times are being completely ignored.

Remember what happened to BlackBerry? You guys are headed that way......

30 replies

Dec 1, 2017 8:18 AM in response to benburn

This is the cost of making devices smaller and lighter - you have to remove unused/rarely-used ports (have you seen VGA ports on the side of a recent Windows laptop?). I think it's worth it.

Good to hear the capability for input is still there, with the use of a microphone-stlye adapter for those of us who only need this on rare occasion. I have noticed that my iPhone headphones do let me do dictation etc., so audio-in still exists but neatly combined into a single port, which I think is pretty cool.

USB in/out works extremely well for pro applications, I've used it at our radio station and it's awesome for line in/out.

Jun 24, 2012 6:36 AM in response to DCGOO

Yes, disappointing. Although I have a 2010 MacBook Pro and, hopefully, won't be purchasing another one anytime soon, I'm using my optical audio port to send purely digital audio from a surround sound card connected to my iPad via the Camera Connection Kit. WIth the new MacBook Pro, I won't be able to do this...bummer indeed.

Aug 24, 2012 2:31 AM in response to DCGOO

Hi,

how come you say Apple has dropped Line IN support on the Macbook Pro Retina? Profiler says it has a combo connector and apple website [1] says it is compatible with iphone headset

Mountain Lion seems to have a bug -> http://www.nerdsonsite.com/blog/2012/08/16/mountain-lion-on-macbooks-incompatibl e-with-3-5mm-microphones/

[1]

Apple Webite states:

• Stereo speakers
  • Dual microphones
  • Headphone port
    • Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone
    • Support for audio line out (digital/analog)

Jan 3, 2013 10:19 AM in response to PRJ1227

Hi, I just recently received a Macbook Pro retina and had the same problem. I mainly got it for recording, but quickly discovered there was a problem. After a little research, I bought a Berhinger U-CONTROL UCA222 USB Audio Interface, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-u-control-uca222-usb-audio-in terface

It was a mere $29 US dollars. Let me say, this thing works flawlessly with my mac. I run the audio out of my mixer board into the UCA222 and I connect my speakers to the outputs. It uses power from the USB port and requires no drivers to work! Hope this helps anyone else that stumbles upon this post.

Macbook Pro no audio in ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.