Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated Thunderbolt, crashed machine

Did update, said restart, got grey screen with error message to restart but did this repeatedly to no avail. Had weird message in upper left hand corner of screen. Finally called Apple. They are having me reinstall lion. We'll see if that work.

Has anyone else had this proble? If so, what worked for you?

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 6:05 PM

22 replies

Jun 11, 2012 7:42 PM in response to Comonapple

I just installed the thunderbolt update on my macbook pro.

After restart I got an error message saying something like, "None of the software could be installed. An unexpected error occurred."

It then offered me a restart button, which made the pop-up disappear when clicked. The computer did not restart.

After several minutes, I powered down by holding the power button. After restarting, I now get the gray screen of death when booting with kernel messages saying that the Mac OS version has "Not yet set".

Not happy about this one.

Jun 12, 2012 1:12 AM in response to Comonapple

I have the same problem here. I did 4 updates in 1 go, including the Thunderbolt update.

When I boot up, it gives me the option to log into my ID or Guest ID. If I log into mine, it goes to the grey loading screen but stays there. If I choose the guest account, it reboots to the guest page where only Safari is open.

I'm currently logged into that now and it works fine.

I have a 2011 iMac 27" and purchased the lastest OSX from the app store. I don't have any backups or disks.

Many people are talking about re-installing the OS to fix the problem. I need to know if this will overight, delete, erase or alter any files, settings, accounts etc. It would be disasterous to lose anything on my PC.

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying the entended Apple Care and Time Capsule as soon as I can afford it but there's no point if all my data is lost.

I do have 2 external drives and a MacBook Air on hand if there's a way of backing it up.

If anyone can help, I would be overjoyed.

Sorry for the novel, just really worried about this.

Ben.

Jun 12, 2012 5:15 AM in response to Ben0007

It was pretty simple to me. Press fn+ctrl+alt+cmd+p+r after you press the power button (really don't know which of them worked) and my Macbook pro asked me to download the lion again from internet and installed it automaticly. I "accidently" updated the thunderbolt twice today and had to re-install Lion twice. As far as I know, nothing is wiped out. Really don't know how to re-install it from a USB, sorry for that.

Jun 12, 2012 6:08 AM in response to shuangfromstockholm

Hit same problem myself - massive issue since I run my business on my imid 2011 27" Mac upgraded to 16GB memory. I accepted 4 or 5 updates this morning including Thunderbolt and iTunes. System told me install had failed and I should restart iMac then I got the failure to boot and the string of what look like kernel panic messages, Mac OS version: Not yet set plus a box saying "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power key until it turns off, then press the Power button again". Following the instruction just puts you back in the same place.

Tried option to resent parameter RAM (cmd+option+P+R) but this had no effect. Tried booting into safe mode (holding down shift key) that also failed.

I don't recognise key sequemce fn+ctrl+atl+cmd+p+r as my iMac does not have a "fn" key - which do you mean by this?

Updated Thunderbolt, crashed machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.