Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change owner's name? Just bought macbook pro off my son and want to put my name on the computer instead of his. please help.

Please can someone tell me how to put my name at the top of my computer instead of the name of the person I bought it from?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 11:42 AM

Change it from the Sharing pane of System Preferences, and create a new administrator account in the Accounts pane.

(67108)

20 replies

Jun 19, 2012 7:30 AM in response to Walwal

That's because his account is still present and you are logged into that. You could remove his and set up your own in Sys Prefs>Accounts. However, there may be some applications or items specific to his account you might want to keep. For the time being, I would suggest keeping his account. Just log in to the new one you create.

In addition, if his account has administrator privileges, you don't want to remove that until you set up your own with same. However, it may be safer to run as standard and keep an admin account around, a new one or his, for purposes of authenticating when required.

Jun 20, 2012 10:47 AM in response to WZZZ

Some of the links from the link you sent were no longer available but I did find an apple support page (can't find it again) that showed how to enable root user, except when I got to the final screen "enable root user" wasn't an option. That was supposed to lead me on to changing his name to mine without removing anything else - I think!

Looks like I'll just have to make do with the new administrator account I''ve set up for myself and ignore his account. Thanks for your input.

Sep 5, 2013 8:18 AM in response to Danica43

Danica43 wrote:

Changing your Mac’s computer name:

The OP want to change his own name where it appears in the menu bar - i.e. he really wants to change the name of the Home Folder, which is a risky thing to try. You are talking about the computer's name as it appears to other computers on the network. This does not appear in the menu bar.

Nov 21, 2013 6:35 PM in response to Walwal

Walwal wrote:

Some of the links from the link you sent were no longer available but I did find an apple support page (can't find it again) that showed how to enable root user, except when I got to the final screen "enable root user" wasn't an option. That was supposed to lead me on to changing his name to mine without removing anything else - I think!

Looks like I'll just have to make do with the new administrator account I''ve set up for myself and ignore his account. Thanks for your input.

=======================

I got to this same point but figured out that you need to select "Edit" from the top of the screen and not within the "Directory Utility" window. The edit drop down has the "Enable Root User" selection. Click on that and follow the rest of the directions

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1428

Sep 2, 2014 8:26 AM in response to Walwal

I think this is the solution; however, I can't recall where I used to get the other name appear again to validate. Give it a try, and if proven the correct method, please pass this on to other discussion as I see many people facing similar challenge.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/57278/changing-the-name-attached-to-my- macbook-pro

NOTE: mainly, you have to go into contact and change "My Card" to your own card. If you see the wrong card, you should delete it first, and if it is a useful card, just add it back in again.

How do I change owner's name? Just bought macbook pro off my son and want to put my name on the computer instead of his. please help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.