Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why doesn't my device show up in itunes?

I am having trouble syncing my iphone with my computer. My device (iphone 4s) doesn't show up in my iTunes. Any ideas why?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2017 12:37 AM

Hi Roxy,

Thank you very much for posting this helpful instructions. I am having iphone 6S and my iphone was not detecting on my windows laptop's itunes. Initially I tried with updating the itunes to the latest, restarted both iphone and laptop. But that didn't work. Then I found your article. It exactly solved my problem. Hurray !!🙂

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2017 12:37 AM in response to RoxyM6

Hi Roxy,

Thank you very much for posting this helpful instructions. I am having iphone 6S and my iphone was not detecting on my windows laptop's itunes. Initially I tried with updating the itunes to the latest, restarted both iphone and laptop. But that didn't work. Then I found your article. It exactly solved my problem. Hurray !!🙂

Feb 13, 2013 4:04 AM in response to uwagirl

I know I'm stating the obvious but mine didn't show up either so I played around and it was there, you just have to know how to find it now in the new itunes (11.0.1.12). Apple in their wisdom have gone from the most intuitive based software to something very hard to understand. Their devices are fantastic, but when you plug them into a computer to sync, add music etc things get a lot harder for the average person.

Anyway back to the point. I clicked on the library button on the right hand side and presto there appeared a button with my iphone name and the "library" button changed to "itunes store". Looks like a toggle between your computer & i-devices library and the itune store.

Just click on your iphone button and all should be similar to the old itunes version.

Don't know if this is relevant to your issue or not as it's 8months old now but might help someone else???? At least until they change/upgrade itunes again to make it even more difficult to use!

Feb 14, 2014 7:12 PM in response to Papciak84

I'm glad I found this topic tonight and hope it might help someone else. I noticed tonight that I couldn't locate my iphone on iTunes once I plugged the phone in. Nothing I did seemed to bring up the word "iphone" so I could sync it and update my music. The advice here to make sure you use a rear-facing USB port was what did the trick!

Thank you for the help.

Oct 20, 2015 2:50 PM in response to uwagirl

I encountered this problem recently with my iphone6! My phone was plugged into my laptop and it showed as a device on the laptop itself, but not in itunes. I know this post is really old, but im just replying to help any other people that my have this same problem in the future. This iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support is what helped me. User uploaded file

I was really surprised since i had searched everywhere to fix it and tried everything i could.

why doesn't my device show up in itunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.