Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

URL now requires .com to take me to a site

I have noticed in the last week or so that when I type in the just the name of a company or web site into the Safari url line, I am now taken to a search page and not to the company in question. The URL line now requires a .com or whatever to actually go to the site.

What's up with that?

How do I fix this incredibly annoying problem? Current version of Safari.

Thanks.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 2:30 PM

23 replies

Jun 14, 2012 3:16 PM in response to starbird

Of course you need the top level domain such as .com, .org, etc. Otherwise how would your browser and DNS servers know you wanted to navigate to google.com rather than to google.org if you only entered google? Or tools.com rather than tools.org if you only entered tools?

Maybe you are talking about a bookmark you created rather than the URL line in your browser.

Jun 14, 2012 11:01 PM in response to starbird

Forget all that autofill stuff for the moment and try this experiment.

1. Type in some complete url and go there. The go back to previous page or dismiss the page so the page is no longer there.

2. Quit safari (with that test url page gone so it is not there when you relaunch safari).

3. Relaunch safari and see if it will now autocomplete that same url you used in step 1.

I'm beginning to think that the history and/or bookmarks are the suppliers of autocompletion.

Jun 16, 2012 1:27 PM in response to starbird

That's weird. I was working on the theory I mentioned above, i.e., autocomplete is coming from history and bookmarks. So the test was to create some history of a visited site. If that worked I would have said that perhaps your other sites were no longer in history or bookmarks. I didn't expect it would "fix" the problem because the old history was still there.

Oh well. Glad it's working for you again.

Jul 27, 2012 8:56 AM in response to Klaus1

Starbird is correct. Previous versions of Safari, in fact, have done the "http://www. _____________ .com" for years where one merely types in the word, and Safari would fill in all the rest around it (.com domain only). You could completely reset Safari, and it would do so. This was not exactly "autocomplete," more like "auto try." However, Safari version 6 with the new omnibar longer does that.

URL now requires .com to take me to a site

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.