Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp won't start in Windows 8

Hi All,

I got the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display this week and I installed Windows 8 Release Preview with Boot Camp. The reason I used Windows 8 is because the Retina Display is not supported in Windows 7 yet.

The dual boot and drivers are all fine. The only problem is that the keyboard doesn't work as how normal windows keyboard... For instance, the function keys only work when fn is pressed, or they are basically doing special tasks like changing the brightness, etc.

I know this is the default behavior in Mac OS and you can set it through keyboard settings. I also know that Boot Camp in Windows should be able to deal with that too. However, when I try to launch Boot Camp in Windows 8, it always give me me this error:

---------------------------

Boot Camp

An error occurred while trying to access the startup disk settings.

You may not have privileges to change the startup disk. Make sure you have administrative privileges and try again.

OK

I used to use the 27 inch apple display with Windows 7 before, so I know this is realted to the fact that the system is using AHCI driver instead of ATA driver for the harddisk. Seems like with Boot Camp 4.0 and Windows 8 Release Preview, the system natively boots into and supports AHCI mode. I verified that in the device manager in Windows 8.

So, how can I use boot camp in Windows 8 with AHCI driver? If I cannot do that, is it possible to get back to ATA mode? Or, is it possible to change the behavior of the keyboard without using boot camp? (Of course I can use the default driver for the keyboard I guess, which basically make Fn doesn't work and make "delete" doesn't work since delete = fn + backspace).

If none of them are possible, when will Apple update boot camp to run with Windows 8? Or, when will Apple release the retina graphics driver for windows 7?

Thanks

Ti

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4), Windows 8 Preview Release

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 7:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 5:18 AM

There are bugs with using Apple drivers and you can bet that no one knows when Apple might release something, they tried releasing Boot Camp 3.0 before Windows 7 RTM though at the end of RC, rushed to say the least to put it on snow leopard DVDs months before 7 was ready, resulting in buggy drivers.

Luckily Boot Camp Assistant works. Bad news: they could tie Windows 8 drivers and support to Mountain Lion. Some Macs would fully support 8 but not 10.8. Posting the drivers seems to be ignored // out of the question and has never been done. Nor does Apple's software udpate in Windows seem to be used for Boot Camp related drivers.

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2012 5:18 AM in response to AfflatusX

There are bugs with using Apple drivers and you can bet that no one knows when Apple might release something, they tried releasing Boot Camp 3.0 before Windows 7 RTM though at the end of RC, rushed to say the least to put it on snow leopard DVDs months before 7 was ready, resulting in buggy drivers.

Luckily Boot Camp Assistant works. Bad news: they could tie Windows 8 drivers and support to Mountain Lion. Some Macs would fully support 8 but not 10.8. Posting the drivers seems to be ignored // out of the question and has never been done. Nor does Apple's software udpate in Windows seem to be used for Boot Camp related drivers.

Jul 2, 2012 4:03 PM in response to Mnight

Sadly, the answer is no.

However, seems like the situation isn't too bad. If you installed boot camp driver, you should be able to use two finger touch + click to right click. There isn't a way for us to tap to click unless apple officially fix the boot camp...

Not sure if you had any problem with keyboard. In case you have, my approach to solve the problem is to uninstall the keyboard driver installed by boot camp. This will turn all those F1-F12 to work normally without needing Fn to be pressed. Also, I installed a software called KeyTweak (free) to alter the position of my Command and Option key so that it acts more like regular keyboard. Also I mapped right Command to Delete key.

Of course, Apple should be hurry to fix these issues but in the mean time, these are the tips I can give you.

T

Jul 2, 2012 7:11 PM in response to AfflatusX

I just have problem with the trackpad. I can't use the two fingers, secondary click without setup in the Trackpad-Bootcamp Control Panel frist.

My keyboard, Fn function, Brightness, Volume work fine. However, after changing the Bootcamp properties, reinstall it many times, my bootcamp doesn't start automatically when start up, I have to open it manually.

I will come back to window 7, and wait for the update from Apple.

Jul 3, 2012 11:45 AM in response to Mnight

I also can not open boot camp on my new MBP with windows 8 CP. So I can not modify the brightness and the trackpad. I believe the brightness somehow is relating to the display driver since there is no display driver for windows 8 now.

But I did manage to make the trackpad work. You need to install trackpad++

(http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4967-trackpad-control-module.html), it will enable the trackpad driver on boot camp. After you install the trackpad++, trackpad++ will complain something. ingnore it. You should be able to enable trackpad. And you can now even uninstall the trackpad++, the trackpad will sill work.

=====

Macbook Pro, summer 2012

Windows 8 CP x64

Jul 3, 2012 4:25 PM in response to windx

Thanks for the tip for the trackpad.

About the brightness, what graphics card are you using? It might be due to the auto adjusting brightness running there. You can go to your power options, edit the one you are using (Change plan settings >> Change advanced power settings) and look for Batteries >> Enable adaptive brightness and disable the one you are using. After that, the scrollbar for adjusting brightness in power options should work again.

T

Jul 4, 2012 12:53 PM in response to dwight007

Thank you and AfflatusX for providing me the suggestion.

I tried that but it still wont work for me. I am not sure what graphics card I am using. But I just got my Macbook Pro 13' in less than one month and I check the configure, it should be Intel HD Graphics 4000 processor since mine is 13' and only the 15' has the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics processor which is called Retina display.

I checked the Device manager and found that I actually only have the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, which means that there is no actually right display driver for the x64 Windows 8 CP .

I even tried to get the latest beta version display driver for Intel HD Graphics 4000. It was installed with no error. But after I restarted the computer, the display became black and I could not see anything. I had to use the windows install disk to restore to the original basic original display driver.

To sum, there is no correct display driver for my MBP right now. This cause the video can not be played smoothly ( still OK but not smooth). It also possibly makes the screen too bright. :-(

Jul 4, 2012 2:38 PM in response to windx

Safe mode should always still boot and let you go to device manager and rollback a driver; or grab Driver Sweeper 3.2 and that will. Intel Downloads Center 4000 driver is up and didn't look to be beta to me.

Besides Device Manager an easy way to see devices, firmware even, driver versions is AIDA64

http://www.aida64.com/

In OS X System Profile should show what graphic devices you have. As well as the specs page

www.apple.com/support/macbookpro - they have rearranged specs and manuals a bit

Jul 4, 2012 5:16 PM in response to The hatter

Hi, thank you very much for all the suggestion.

For the x64 win8, I think the driver is beta:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphic s&ProductLine=Processor+graphics&ProductProduct=3rd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core% E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4000%2f2500&ProdId=3498&LineId= 3310&FamilyId=39

somehow I can not get the options to select safe mode or normal mode during windows starting by press F8 on my MBP. All I can is either come into the normal windows or by configue msconfig and reboot into safe mode.

Jul 10, 2012 11:01 PM in response to windx

After updating from Consumer Preivew to Release Preview, my system automatically installed the intel graphic 4000 driver. Now I can adjust the brightness and the screen not too bright for me.

Also, by intalling the trackpad++ and uninstall it, I was be able to enable the tackpad.

Still, I could not open the Boot Camp, but it seems for now I can live without the options in boot camp.

Jul 15, 2012 7:12 AM in response to AfflatusX

I got/get the same error when trying to launch the "Boot Camp Control Panel", but I just stumpled upon a solution.

I created a new Windows user, that was not Administrator. When I logged in Boot Camp updateded something and asked me to restart the computer.

After restarting and logging in with my new user, I could start the "Boot Camp Control Panel" configure tap to click and use F1-F12 as function keys.

Then I changed the new account to Administrator and now the control panel can not be startet again... but my settings remained... only on the new user only though.

I havn't tried changing the original user to "standard" and back to "admin", but I hope it works.

I don't have any problems with my bightness, keyboardbacklid or volumen controls or other fn keys.

PS: I'm running Windows 8 RP on the Macbook Retina.

Jul 18, 2012 5:01 PM in response to tjementum

I noticed this too (new MacBook Retina w/ Windows 8 RP)!

Unfortunately, having to use a secondary account all the time is a bit of an annoying workaround... but Boot Camp Control Panel definitely works correctly under a secondary, non-admin account.

So far, I've tried forcing Bootcamp.exe to run under a different account (the secondary account) to avail, as well as running it in compatibility mode (Windows 7) and as an Admin. Nothing works.

FYI, Windows 8 won't let you make the primary user a standard, non-admin account. It's locked into Administrator.

Whatever is wrong with Bootcamp Control Panel under Windows 8, it's uniquely tied to that primary user account. :-/

Boot Camp won't start in Windows 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.