Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?

I first noticed this after my MBP [Retina] had gone to sleep, but: when returning to the login screen (since I have it set to require a password whenever the computer is idle long enough) I noticed what appeared to a very faint ghosting primarily noticeable on darker backgrounds.

After messing around with it a bit, there seems to be a fairly consistent in-display ghosting that occurs without much time at all; I was able to leave my screen on (a little above half-brightness) for about 10-15 minutes and the ghosted "burn" would be of the screen I left it on (which I deliberately reconfigured so that everything would be a new position).

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a normal thing that I just have to get used to? It's not really noticeable at all in standard use.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 10:26 PM

9,629 replies

Sep 23, 2018 1:07 PM in response to MacOSX10.6

Have you tried using quotes (escaped) around EDID? As in the following:

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Also, you may be able to determine the lcd manufacture via the Color Sync utility. See the following post:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4034848?answerId=23529826022#23529826022

and then:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4034848?answerId=23586131022#23586131022

Hope that helps.

Jun 12, 2018 5:44 PM in response to Veraxus

I went in to the store on the 20th to complain about the IR and they tested mine and said it fell within spec. I politely asked to speak to a manager and explained this was unacceptable for a top of the line machine and insisted they fix it. They agreed to replace my screen but said if the next one has the same issue they won't replace it, and this was written on my work order. I told them they can replace the screen but if the next one is worse, they can't expect me to just roll over. They said at that point, should it come to it, they might just have me return the machine. I bought it in June my return period is well past.

I say all this because just be pushy and forceful. Ask to see a manager and explain, politely and courteously that you just can't accept such poor performance for a machine that is supposed to excel on image quality.

Jun 12, 2017 7:26 AM in response to mittense

I am having this problem right now on my MacBook. I first noticed it a few months ago and it is a permanent burn-in of all my 'favourite' websites listed at the top of Google Crome. When I look at photos or try watch movies where there is supposed to be black shadows, it instead appears as like an inverse, negative orange, green or blue colour. When I have been using my MacBook for a while the burn-in gets worse and more applications that I have been using start to burn in everywhere. I only notice it on a black screen but it is the worst case scenario I've seen from what I've read and seen online. When my screen is on a black or dark screen it flickers and flashes and a couple times it has even completely failed for a few long seconds and then turned back on. The other day when I turned it on the edges of my screen had a large white shadow outline around a centimetre wide outlining the whole screen and this effected it even when my screen was light up with pale, light colours. I found out I have to have the whole screen replaced. Luckily my MacBook is only 9 months old, however, I am disappointed that this has happened don't like the idea of my MacBook being in the hands of other people to replace the screen. They could scratch it or damage it and not take as good care of it as myself. And I don't get one to use as a loan while this one is being fixed. That's why I have had to wait a few months to get it fixed, as I have had uni.

Aug 26, 2017 9:46 PM in response to techguruu

Have been using Mac's for 20 years now. Big problems started for me with the 2011 Macbook Pro. Graphics card issues which required replacement of entire logic board. I've had mine replaced twice now. Problem is I know it will fail again eventually given the fact that I do a lot of heavy photo editing. It's been a work horse with a really nice colour accurate anti glare screen. With pending failure in mind, I bought a second hand mid 2014 Macbook Pro just recently. It's in impeccable condition and as I write, still under warranty. When I opened my 2011 machine next to it I was horrified to see the yellow green colour cast of the 2014 model. I took it straight down to my local authorised Apple reseller and insisted they replace the screen with a new one, which they did. Absolutely no difference. The native white point is very yellow. I have tried to adjust it in the calibrate expert mode but the best I can do is a flat looking greenish cyan cast. When I took it to the reseller I put it next to the new MacBooks they had on display to show them the difference and they immediately said they couldn't see what I was talking about. I was gob smacked. Seems to me they have been told by Apple to give a standard response. I don't have any ill feeling toward them for that, they are doing what they have been told to do. I told them about all the forums on the net regarding this problem and the answer I got was "yeah well people will say anything". I don't know what to do. Do I go into an Apple store while other potential buyers of their computers are in there and create a scene? Point out that almost all new releases of their laptops have had serious issues? Explain why they are so expensive due to the fact that they are constantly having to replace faulty parts? Point out that it has now become high risk to spend good money on an Apple laptop as there is a very good chance something is going to fail, and also a good chance that you will be told that it's not something Apple has any obligation to repair or replace, or that the perceived problem is a figment of your imagination. Sadly, unless this colour cast issue is resolved for me.... my Apple days will be over. As other people have pointed out, if Steve Jobs was still with us we could all have a bit more faith that our money would be well spent. It sure as **** isn't now.

Jun 18, 2012 10:13 AM in response to mittense

I had this same thing happen a year ago with the iPad 2 model. The unit was used a little bit and then when I opened the app Pulse, which has a solid gray background, I could see the silhouette of the search bar for safari, and the header for my email Apps still there. I tried the same thing but in a different orientation and after a few minutes of usage the ghost image would be in the new position.

If you are getting this, take it back now as it only will get worse. When I was at the Apple store looking at the new Retina MBP I wanted to buy one very badly. However, I remembered the first run of some ot the last Apple products I purchased and how those products faired. Try another one and if you don't see improvement, I'd just hold out for the next generation they release next year and let the kinks get ironed out. The initial concern with Apple always seems to be get as many units out to the customer and quality will come in time once production is ramped back down.

Jun 18, 2012 10:28 AM in response to anthonyvallone

If I were you I would atleast call the store you purchased it from, get the manager's name and explain you wish to return it but are not able to from where you are. If they want to send you a shipping label, assuming you have everything with you, that you can send the unit back that way too. I have learned that it is becoming increasingly difficult to abide by the store's rules with such a silly 15 day return period. I like to ensure my products are fully functioning and as a result I think 4 weeks is much better than 2 for a multitude of reasons. They likely will work with you, but get some sort of confirmation on it now rather than later.

They wanted me to go through the genius bar with mine and I know more than most of the employees working back there pertaining to computer hardware. I took pictures of mine with the image retention and just wanted out with my money back. Quality is important to me. Especially at the pricepoint that Apple wishes to command. I hold them to a higher standard as a result.

Jun 19, 2012 12:06 PM in response to mittense

I'm having a very similar issue and it seems to always be around one area of the screen. Its a bit above the dock and to the right of center. Are you guys seeing it there as well? I only started noticing it because I changed my background to solid blue.

I'm also having this graphics issue, which I believe is software/driver:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4036736?answerId=18690202022#18690202022

MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.