Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari windows invisible

OS 10.6.8, Safari 5.1.7 (a reinstall), Office 2011

This started while troubleshooting some problems with Outlook 2011 (designating safe outgoing (to contacts, whitelist addys, or randomly after sev messages in a thread) into unsendable for "spam characteristics." Safari itself has had various issues for a year or more. Just seems to be a bit buggy.

So, Safari will open and the menu bar appear, but no Safari windows, prefs window, or About window (no title bars, nothing). Opening a new window via Command-N or from menu produces nothing on screen, but the window will appear in the list of open windows in the dropdown Window menu. Ditto for a bookmarked or History item--all show up in Windows menu dropdown as they would normally, but all are simply missing on screen. Help, Downloads, and Activity windows open and are visible.The only extensions I have installed are AdBlock and a Flash blocker (though window listing extensions is invisible, too, so can't double check). Definitely no toolbar except the usual Google (which I think comes with, not an add-on, right?).

Since then:

-Sev HD reboots, sev Safari relaunches, both from dock and from Apps window

-Ran Disk First Aid from CD, repaired a zillion permissions, but no HD problems found.

-Ran BitDefender for 12 hours before giving up--all its hits were files from an Entourage archive that is stored on my backup drive by Time Machine, and all said they could not be quarantined or deleted.

-Ran ClamXav, which reviews said was more compatible with Snow Leopard. Many hits, all but a handful being Outlook messages. Two notes: I was only offered my own user to scan in ClamXav; couldn't scan the whole HD. And, the hits from the two anti-malware apps were altogether different. Makes one wonder...

[As a general note: I'm pretty careful about hovering to check links in emails, and err on the side of caution. I do download stuff from the Web from time to time. Scanning for viruses/malware is fairly new to me (on Macs since '84); not savvy about behaviors, etc.]

-Reinstalled new download of Safari followed by reboot of HD (since I couldn't see the About window when this first began, I can't be certain what Safari version I was running, except to note that everything I have is set for auto update).

I tested all the suggestions in this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2745899 . No change.

I think that's it. Your help very much appreciated. It's a nightmare to not trust a Mac!

iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 duo w 4GB, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 1:16 PM

Did you reinstall Safari as that thread advised?

Before going any further I would back up all data to another computer or exteranal drive.

Have you tried deleting all Safari preference files?

30 replies

Jun 17, 2012 1:24 PM in response to Susan Hull

Susan Hull wrote:

-Ran BitDefender for 12 hours before giving up--all its hits were files from an Entourage archive that is stored on my backup drive by Time Machine, and all said they could not be quarantined or deleted.

Generally speaking, there is no need to scan your backup drives. If and when you find malware on your main drive, you should simultaneously delete those files from backup using the backup utility and not the Finder. Doing the latter will almost certainly render your backup unusable. I assume you know that the Entourage archive is one huge file that contains all your e-mail, etc. and if BitDefender had been able to do anything with it you would have lost everything.

-Ran ClamXav, which reviews said was more compatible with Snow Leopard. Many hits, all but a handful being Outlook messages. Two notes: I was only offered my own user to scan in ClamXav; couldn't scan the whole HD. And, the hits from the two anti-malware apps were altogether different. Makes one wonder...

I don't use Outlook 2011 yet, so I'm not sure whether it stores e-mail as individual messages now or still uses the old model of one huge databse. Either way, you need to be cautious with any e-mail infections ClamXav finds. You should never allow ClamXav (or any other A-V software) to move or delete e-mails as this will corrupt the mailbox index (and as I said could cause you to lose everything with certain e-mail clients). It may also leave the original message on the e-mail server, depending on the type account you have and certain preferences on the server and your client.

The correct way is to right-click/control-click on the infection or file name and select "Reveal In Finder". If it's an individual message, then double-click it to open in Outlook, read the message to make certain it was correctly identified as junk/spam/phishing (especially if Heuristics was used to identify it) and either use the Outlook delete function to delete it from both your hard drive and server or if you need to keep the message, return to ClamXav and tell it to ignore the file in future scans.

If you already allowed ClamXav to quarantine/delete those files, then you will need to rebuild the mailboxes that they came from. Your Scan Log can tell you where they were if you don't know. They may also show up again when you next check for mail if they were left on the server.

I don't know anything about BitDefender for Mac. They had a good reputation with Windows but along with several other A-V vendors are new to Mac OS X, so I hesitate to recommend any of those until they have proven they understand the Mac environment. I can only guess why the results might be different.

Jun 17, 2012 1:29 PM in response to Susan Hull

Susan Hull wrote:

I was only offered my own user to scan in ClamXav; couldn't scan the whole HD.

Sorry, forgot to address this.

Yes, ClamXav has always been designed as a per user scanner for security purposes and will only scan files you have read access to. If you're an admin then you will be able to scan anything an admin can but won't be able to scan directories you don't have read access to, such as other user's documents and a few corners of the operating system.

Jun 17, 2012 1:46 PM in response to Susan Hull

HI Susan ..

So, Safari will open and the menu bar appear, but no Safari windows, prefs window, or About window (no title bars, nothing). Opening a new window via Command-N or from menu produces nothing on screen, but the window will appear in the list of open windows in the dropdown Window menu. Ditto for a bookmarked or History item--all show up in Windows menu dropdown as they would normally, but all are simply missing on screen. Help, Downloads, and Activity windows open and are visible.The only extensions I have installed are AdBlock and a Flash blocker (though window listing extensions is invisible, too, so can't double check). Definitely no toolbar except the usual Google (which I think comes with, not an add-on, right?).

Try troubleshooting Safari: Unsupported third-party add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues

Since then:

-Sev HD reboots, sev Safari relaunches, both from dock and from Apps window

-Ran Disk First Aid from CD, repaired a zillion permissions, but no HD problems found.

If third party plugins aren't the issue, just so you are aware, just verying permissions does not veriy the startup disk for errors.

Launch Disk Utility. Select the startup disk on the left.

Click Verify Disk (not Verify Disk Permissions)

If necessary, click Repair Disk.

If the startup disk appears to be ok, try Starting up in Safe Mode

A Safe Mode boot takes longer than a normal boot so be patient. Once you see the Desktop click the Apple menu icon top left corner in your screen. From the drop down menu click Restart.

Then try Safari.

Jun 17, 2012 2:25 PM in response to MadMacs0

I used to use ClamXav with Thunderbird pop. It clashed with Thunderbird until I stoped it checking email as ClamXav advised. Thunderbird does not use a database - it uses traditional mbox files - these are long text files containing many emails one after the other with simple text delimiters.

I used have used several other virus checkers and none had difficulties with email.

For the record: Manually removing a complete email from mbox files does not cause corruption.

Jun 17, 2012 2:31 PM in response to Neville Hillyer

Thanks for your quick response. I'm backed up on an external drive in Time Machine, which is current.

I hadn't until you suggested it, but just deleted User>Library>Prefs>co,.apple.safari... There were only two files, one being RSS which I don't use in Safari. Deleting them rendered the open-Safari's Command-Q unavailable (greyed), but after forced quit and relaunch, I have windows (Yay!).

I'll see how it goes and report back. Will also address a couple other responses below.

Thank you so much!

PS: Curious to know whether, in your experience, users are having misc. issues with the later versions of Safari. It's still my preferred browser, but it does seem less stable and more prone to a variety of problems.

Thanks again.

Jun 17, 2012 2:41 PM in response to Susan Hull

Sorry Susan - I should have said quit from Safari before removing preference files. It would be best to do it again just in case the open Safari returned some old data to the file at the point of quitting.

Regrettably Safari versions 5.1 and later appear to be having more difficulties that one would expect - hopefully these will be resolved.

Jun 17, 2012 3:07 PM in response to Neville Hillyer

Neville Hillyer wrote:

I used to use ClamXav with Thunderbird pop. It clashed with Thunderbird until I stoped it checking email as ClamXav advised. Thunderbird does not use a database - it uses traditional mbox files - these are long text files containing many emails one after the other with simple text delimiters.

Thanks for that. I knew that it somehow aggregated messages, but wasn't certain how. Still makes finding the exact message being reported as infected more difficult. OTOH, it makes the file small enough that it can be scanned by the clamav engine which has file size limits. You say traditional. Are you aware of any other clients that use that technique?

For the record: Manually removing a complete email from mbox files does not cause corruption.

I would assume because there is no index involved. But at the same time if you allowed ClamXav to move or delete it, the entire mobox would get moved/deleted, thus requiring manual or client processing.

Jun 17, 2012 3:11 PM in response to Neville Hillyer

Neville, thanks. I just noticed you made other posts, so want to respond.

Yes, I followed that thread's many suggestions to the letter, I think.

I do know viruses are rare, but having had some issues with Flash a couple months ago, I tried BitDefender for the first time, in case I was one of the unlucky half million. It did find some bad files and deleted all I could, but I had to leave six in trash--two were .exe trojans, so no threat to me, two were ancient Word 97 docs, the others mail. Rerunning it yesterday, I don't know why it scanned my backup drive, as I did not select it. It appears the bad files were mostly very old files, including Entourage. Here's an example:

W97M.Class.{D,DB-DC}/Volumes/G-Drive/Backups.backupdb/Susan Hull’s iMac (2)/2011-06-29-001651/Macintosh HD/Users/Susan/Desktop/Entourage archive 1:22:11.rge/Mail/Folders On My Computer/Saved Messages/Accts & Pers Biz/zAIM/CLIENTS current/RecoveryNow/RN biz plan/RN biz plan.mbox=>recoverynow6.doc

Why it's dated a year ago I don't know. I haven't used Entourage for at least 2 years. It's also odd that the scan IDs files on backup but not on Mac HD--they should be identical. Whole business makes me nervous.

When ClamXav found bad files that were 99% Outlook messages, I have to wonder whether it has anything to do with the persistend issues with Outlook generally. There is a large Outlook database in Microsoft User Data>Identities, but there are also what appear to be individual messages in the Data Records folder in the same location.

Know nothing about AppleJack but will check it out. Thanks for all.

Jun 17, 2012 3:21 PM in response to MadMacs0

I think that originally all email clients used mbox. Sun used it on its Unix servers and it was practical to manually move a whole mbox file with 10,000 messages or more from server to client without downloading the messages one at a time.

Clients such as Eudora used a modified mbox - it extracted attachments and put them in a separate directory.

Thunderbird uses index files with an msf extension - if an incompatibility is detected it rebuilds the index from the mbox file.

Jun 17, 2012 3:25 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn, and thanks.

Only the two add-ons in Safari (Click to Flash and AdBlock), and both check out OK. I did run Disk First Aid on the disk itself (not just permissions), which was reported OK. I can say, though, that I can wait ten seconds after repairing permissions on any given day and find dozens more. Some experts say they don't matter, but I find I can end some misc hinkey behaviors by repairing them. I just wish so many didn't go bad again instantly. This has been true for me for years. Bad permissions constantly, and they can cause problems.

I didn't think to startup in any other mode, which I should have, because it would likely have pointed me toward what worked:

Deleting Prefs files produced windows again (see responses to Neville). I won't know for a business day or two whether the intermitted Outlook issues I associate with the Safari problem are themselves resolved, as they are random, and weekend email traffic is much less.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Safari windows invisible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.