Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grey Screen at startup

Hi folks,

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro 13" which has started to cause me some problems when booting. Now, normally I leave it on - just putting it to sleep by closing the lid when not in use. A month or so ago, I had cause to restart it and then the booting problems became apparent.

At this stage the MBP was configured as follows:

13" MBP 2009

8GB Cruicial 100% compatible RAM

500GB Seagate Momentus HDD

Snow Leopard

The MBP begun the bootup sequence, but would typically stop at the Apple logo and spinning asterisk.

I could start it in Safe Mode and Target Mode.

I used the Install disk to do a permissions repair and a disk check, both which concluded ok.

The problem remained.

I used Apple diagnostics (from my Snow Leopard disk) which claimed all harware was fine.

I replaced the HDD with an OCZ Petrol 128GB SSD, and tried to perform a re-install. No go.

I took it in to a Mac repair shop that I've used countless times before and who normally get the diagnostics and fix right first time (big up to Mac Centre Manchester). They did some tests, then installed Lion as a brand new install, wiping the drive on the way. The laptop finally started to play again and has worked for a week or so.

Fast forward to now.

My GF had been using the laptop, and she called me last night saying it had stopped working. So I've gotten it back and have been looking at it this morning.

From cold the laptop started up seemingly fine. I restarted it intending to run some diagnostics, but from then on in, it just gave me the Grey Screen.

Startup process: As the MBP starts up you hear the chime, then a grey screen comes up then nothing further.

I've followed the advice set out here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2570

I've reset the PRAM, and have tried to start in Safe Mode, Target Mode, Recovery Mode all to no avail.

I've put the original Apple memory back in, so it now has 4GB.

The mainboard seems hot, but the fan is rotating from stuartup, so don't know if that's good or bad.

I propose to leave it to cool right down and see if it will start up again.

Anyone any ideas how to progress this?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 3:52 AM

10 replies

Jun 22, 2012 7:31 AM in response to Jason Crouch

Have you put the original drive back in?

Boot with Command-S to enter single user mode. From Apple Support:

1. Start up your computer in single-user mode to reach the command line.
    Note: If necessary, perform a forced restart as described in the Emergency Troubleshooting Handbook that came with your computer. On desktop computers, you can do this by pressing the reset/interrupt button (if there is one) or holding down the power button for several seconds. On portable computers, simultaneously press the Command-Control-power keys. If your portable computer doesn't restart with this method, you may need to reset the Power Manager.
  2. At the command-line prompt type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

3. Press Return. fsck will go through five "phases" and then return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:
    ** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK
    If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message:
    ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
    Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in step 2 until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).
  4. When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.

Your computer should start up normally and allow you to log in.

Jun 22, 2012 8:46 AM in response to xtremecarbon

Hello there, and thanks for taking your time to post a reply!

I've not really been able to follow any of the "login as single user" "start in safe mode" type advice, 'cause as soon as this MBP starts to misbehave it stalls at the grey startup screen, just after the hardware test chimes.

So it won't boot in target mode or in fact at all!

Just got it out of the cupboard and started it up from dead cold. It seemed to work fine for about an hour - so I installed a temp monitor to see what temperatures it was getting up to. It didn't seem to be getting too hot, but sure enough it began to become majorly unstable.

Over about a 3m period the MBP became unresponsive and eventually froze. Each attempt to restart halted at the grey screen. I noticed that it became very hot where the logic board/processor parts are (left hand side near the ports). Now it might just not be getting far enough into the boot sequence to start dealing with temperature management properly I suppose, but I'm kinda clutching at straws at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Jason

Grey Screen at startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.