Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

nike+ website temporarily unavailable

I have been trying to upload runs to nike+ via itunes and i keep getting a message that says "nike+ website is temporarily unavailable. please try again later." when i record walks, they upload but the runs are not uploading. i have 5 runs that appear on my ipod nano, on itunes but the error message keeps popping up. i tried for 2 days now the nike+ fixes without success. i have also read online from several people who have had issues uploading runs to nike+ and have gotten the same message. anybody know the reason why this is happening? any known fixes? if something happens to my ipod nano, my runs that haven't uploaded will be erased! please help.

i have the a mac mini, using latest software and lastest version of itunes. ipod nano 6th gen.

thanks!

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 6:33 PM

13 replies

Jun 20, 2012 6:37 PM in response to alexxx101

I have been having the exact same issue with an older Nano. Seems to have started when Nike updated Nike+ a few weeks back. The interesting thing about my situation is that I have two Nanos, one old one, one new one. The old one will not connect ("The Nike+ website is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."), but the new Nano connects just fine. I have tried reinstalling iTunes and resetting my iPod - but no luck.

Suggestions anyone?

Jun 21, 2012 7:07 AM in response to Ben Bauermeister

Ok. First, it really ***** that nike+ doesn't have their sh&t together when it comes to technical support.

I figured out the problem and solution.

Unfortunately, when this happens (nike+ website unavailable message) occurs in this context, it means that for some reason, one of the recorded runs, the actual xml file is corrupt. I went into the ipod and copied/pasted the runs that did not sync and placed them elsewhere. I then restored the ipod which deleted everything.

Then, i recorded a new test run. The run synced fine without nike+ website unavailable message.

THEN, i recorded a new test run and plugged one of the old runs that sync before. It synced both runs, new run and old run without issue. When i tried this again with another old run, the message popped back up.

Restore.

Recorded a new test run, plugged an old run again and it synced. Tried it again, message came back up.

Restore.....

Recorded a new test run and that last old run was not causing the nike+ website unavailable message to come back up. So, unfortunately, that was the corrupt file.

I emailed nike+ to help me determine how that file got screwed up! Specially because that run was a half marathon!! They were able to manually enter the run but all of this has been a pain in the ***!!!

Good news, i was able to save two out of three runs and the last run was entered manually.

Jun 21, 2012 9:02 AM in response to alexxx101

Alex - Thank you so much! This makes perfect sense. I have a question and another bit of info for you.

First question, which is totally lame, is how do you manually extract your runs from the iPod. I tried enabling disk use - but still could not find any run files in the device. My device is a fifth gen iPod nano (tall, thin, video enabled).

Second, after much drilling on the nike+ website, I found a support note from Nike stating that the 5th adn 6th gen iPods are not supported on Nike+ since the update in early June (2012) and it did not specify if they ever would be supported again.

So it will be interesting to me to see if, once I figure out how to extract the files, I can get a 5th gen device to work in the new Nike+ site at all.

Again, Thanks so much for digging into this. Glad you were able to save your half marathon. The one that is currently clogging my pipe is an 18.5 miler and it will win me a challenge if I can only get it posted!

BenB

Jun 21, 2012 11:55 AM in response to Ben Bauermeister

This is how you find the folder where your runs are:

1. Dock your iPod nano and wait for iTunes to launch. In iTunes, select your iPod nano from the left-hand column (under “Devices”). You should now be on the Summary tab for your iPod nano. Toward the bottom of the screen, you’ll see a check-box labeled “Enable disk use.” If this box isn’t already checked, please check it and click “Apply.”

2. Minimize all open windows so that you can see your desktop.

3. Create a new folder on your desktop that we will later move the workouts into.

4. Click on any blank area on your desktop. You should then be able to select Go >Go to Folder at the top of your screen.

5. In command window, enter: /Volumes/Your iPod name/iPod_Control/Device/Trainer/Workouts/Empeds/ [Note: where it says "Your iPod name" is where you will need to enter the exact name of your iPod as it displays in iTunes under "Devices".

6. Open the folder with a serial number on it or Nike Internal folder.

7. Open the "Latest" folder.

8. Move any workouts present in this folder to the folder we created earlier on the desktop.

9. Undock the iPod and do a short test workout of at least 0.02 miles.

10. Attempt to sync.

I ran this morning and I was able to sync the run to nike+ without any problems!

Jun 27, 2012 9:08 AM in response to dnwaterh

Update: I now have two devices that are exhibiting this same behavior - my old iPod 5th gen nano, and now my new iPod nano (current gen). Very frustrating. The main thing that we all have in common is that we are all clocking longer runs. My devices do fine on 4-8 mile runs -but if I log a big run (I've now lost an 18, a 16, and a 20 miler) that's when I get the device clogged up. I plan to blow a few mins today trying to find someone at Nike to scream at today.

Also, thanks to alexxx101's comments - I have been able to get the bug run data off the nano - but it has been hit or miss whether it gets me back to a point where the device will log new (shorter) run data.

Jul 5, 2012 9:23 PM in response to alexxx101

If you go into your Nano and allow "view hidden files," there is a pathway to both your latest folder and synched folder: E:\iPod_Control\Device\Trainer\Workouts\Empeds\nikeinternal. Take all your runs from the latest folder -- these are the ones that aren't uploaded -- and copy them to your desktop. Put one back into the latest folder from your desktop and try to upload it to Nikeplus. Continue until you get one that won't upload: It's the one that's corrupt. Remove it from the latest folder and get Nike to input it manually. You should have no reason to restore your iPod.

(If you know a bit of XML, you can get all the information from your corrupt runs. The distances are in km and the pace and duration are in milliseconds -- this is standard for programming).

Jul 6, 2012 11:36 AM in response to mcd410x

I have a nano6.

I am not able to synchro.

But reading Nike guide on the nano6 I have found that, you can read it on this discussion:

ipod nano and nike plus

or :

(http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/active)

“Nike+ Active is taking a break.

The site will be down while we move to the new Nike+. Your steps, runs and gym workouts are safe and sound. When Nike+ Active returns this fall, your data will be there -- on a platform that lets you do more than ever before. Thanks for conquering the world with us, and, in the meantime,check out the new Nike+.”

Jul 10, 2014 4:08 AM in response to alexxx101

Please refer to the following thread for information and resolution:

Nike+ temporarily unavailable

In particular please have a read of ProZach99's comments and mine also.

Basically the problem is caused by a corrupt or empty Nike+ workout file on your iPod.

My theory is that the empty file is being sent to Nike+ however as it doesn't contain the signatures and certificates required to be accepted by Nike+ it is being rejected. iTunes must then get a response of some sort back from Nike+ saying that the file cannot be received, thus iTunes interprets that response as the Nike+ website being unavailable and produces the spurious alert saying so.

So in short all you need to do is delete the empty/corrupt file then re-sync your iPod and all should be okay again.

No need to do a restore nor move all your unsent workout files from the 'latest' folder as mentioned by other posts. Instructions as per above link.

iPod Nano doesnt have a manual Backup option and I'm not sure if iTunes automatically does the backup every time you connect it up to your Mac/PC. So the only way to backup your Nano would be to do so manually, by copying your files to a hard drive.

Good luck!

Any questions, please feel free to ask! 🙂

nike+ website temporarily unavailable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.