8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2014 11:55 PM by Will Cheng
br121 Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

My USB thumb drive won't update the amount of free space. It's constantly saying it is full, even if I delete the files on it.

It's the same on all of the thumb drives I use.

It there a "refresh" button - to get it to update the amount of data on it?

I transfer large video files between an iMac and PC computer.

Any suggestions?

iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, iPhone OS 3.1.2, Mac OS X Lion 10.7
  • br121 Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

It appears that I will have to format my thumb drives upon every use of them, once they are full - so that I can get more data on them again. There's got to be an easier way to do it.

• radio50 Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)

If you delete files on the thumb drive, they'll go into the trash on the thumb drive, and thus will take the same amount of space (I think).

Solution:

After you delete the files, and with the thumb drive still plugged-in, empty the trash.  That should recover the space.  Then you can finally eject the thumb drive.

If you were to eject the thumb drive and then try to empty the trash, it won't work, because the computer can't find the trash on the thumb drive itself.

• babowa Level 7 Level 7 (26,120 points)

You don't need to reformat; simply empty your computer's trash bin as suggested while the USB drive is still attached. Space is not recouped until the trash is emptied.

• Knoddix Level 1 Level 1 (140 points)

I know this is an old post but Just a heads up this issue tends to be caused by hidden files ( ie when you delete some files for some reason or another the files become hidden away in the trash folder but anyway the root cause is not important however the simple solution/work around is so basically we need to be able to view hidden files in the finder now you could use terminal but I wouldn't recommend that for the everyday mac user as it can cause some serious damage if you type the wrong thing into it and if your advanced enough to be using terminal then I would recommend you google how to enable hidden files in the finder using terminal.

Now for those of you who are still reading I would recommend you download invisiblix using the following link http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25872/invisiblix then follow the instructions on the site to install the app once installed open the app switch to show hidden files mode them open the flash drive and delete anything in the trash folder and that's it you should have now freed up the space you were looking for without the hassle of erasing the drive

Ps . Hide files / folders after you have finished because most hidden files are hidden for a reason (ie they are needed for the computer to function properly)  and secondly if you are running OS X 10.8.x then you might need to hold control and then click on invisiblix then select open because of OS X 10.8.x gatekeeper feature

Good luck people

• TechartteacH Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you for this!...I read your comment after I had ejected the thumbdrive.  However, I plugged it back in, deleted a few more items from the thumbdrive, then emptied the trash on the Macbook Pro. All free memory was then restored on my thumbdrive. YEaH! It seems that when I went back to move more to trash off the the thumb drive, it was able to find it the drive and the old trash.  Thanks again  

• JanetBalaam Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Yes you are right, I removed my 'usb flash drive'before emptying the trash, so I pluged it back in, deleted somthing off of it that I knew I could easily put back again and the new 'trash' found the old 'trash', great.  I then empted the Trash and my space was clear again.

• Shabab28 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks! Worked like a charm!

• Will Cheng Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I had that problem and I followed your instructions, and yes it worked! Thank you very much! That was extremely helpful!