Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I changed my Apple ID and password. Both are verified but when I try to login to iCloud from my iPad iCloud still shows the old ID and there is not a way to change it.

I changed my Apple ID and password earlier this week and both are active and verified. iCloud on my iPad still shows the old Apple ID and I don't see a way to edit it or change it to the new ID. Any suggestions?

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 10:47 AM

18 replies

Jun 21, 2012 10:50 AM in response to Steven from OK

Welcome to the Apple Community.

In order to change your Apple ID or password for your iCloud account on your iOS device, you need to delete the account from your iOS device first, then add it back using your updated details. (Settings > iCloud, scroll down and hit "Delete Account")

When you delete your account, all the data that is synced with iCloud will also be deleted from the device (but not from iCloud), but will be synced back to your device when you login again.

Aug 14, 2014 1:11 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I had this similar issue, but with a twist...

My husband is switching jobs and has both a work iphone and ipad using one icloud account. I had assumed that both had been being backed up to icloud daily when plugged in, however, after I made the change I discovered the phone may have never been backed up to icloud. Now he's gotten a new iphone and we are having trouble moving his contacts over and I don't think they were ever backed up to begin with. The apple id has not changed on either of the old devices yet because I have not deleted the account off the devices because I was scared to. Any advice???

Aug 14, 2014 2:32 PM in response to karlafromapex

To move a copy to your new account, do the following:

1. Download the app My Contacts Backup from the App store to the old phone. (If you have more than 500 contacts to transfer you will need the “Pro” version. (If you aren't sure, start with the free version...it will tell you if you need to pro version when you run it.) Use the app to back up the contacts on the phone as a vCard attachment to an email that you send to yourself. Confirm that you have received the email.
  2. Open the email on your computer and save the attached vCard (.vcf file) to your desktop.
  3. Sign into your new iCloud.com using your computer web browser and import the vCard file from your desktop to your iCloud account as explained here: iCloud: Import a vCard. Confirm that the contacts are now in your new account.

Aug 14, 2014 9:31 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I have the same problem where i changed my iCloud account email on my Mac and updated the password, but on my iPhone my old iCloud email address still shows up and my new/old passwords don't work.

I then tried to delete the account but a pop-up keeps coming up -

"Password Required. Enter the Apple id password for (my old iCloud email) to turn off Find My iPhone."

and since none of my passwords are working, my account doesn't get deleted!

I hope please someone can hep me!

Aug 15, 2014 4:23 AM in response to 625floppy

I Changed my Apple ID password on my laptop Where my new email address already was. Then when I went to my devices (both iPhone and iPad) I entered the new password with my old email when those pop up boxes showed up. That stopped those horrible continuous Pop up boxes. Then I went to settings on each device under iCloud and deleted the iCloud accounts. then I went back into settings on each device, under iCloud and created new iCloud accounts entering my new email and password, and it worked. It changed to my new email address. Hope this works for you.

I changed my Apple ID and password. Both are verified but when I try to login to iCloud from my iPad iCloud still shows the old ID and there is not a way to change it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.