Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Development Marketing

I know this may seem outside the scope of this forum, but it really isn't. I need views on this that are really technical in nature, and require the technical knowledge of the devlopment community with respect to the time required for developement, the environment for developers, etc.

I have now two rough outlines of the application I intend to produce. One is very simple, but far from complete. An application developed from it could be used as a demonstration piece to partners, co-developers, investors, etc. I estimate it will take me about 3 or 4 months to learn the code and produce the application.

The second outline is more complete. If I make a complete project out of it, there are efficiencies involved in aiming for the more complete application from the beginning. But I would be doing all the development myself. I expect it would take me a little over two years to complete the project.

If I go for the more complete project, I also have to aim for a more complete business approach to the marketing, as I cant spend that much time on a project without compensating myself for it. But that means I have to enter the realm of competition over security, strategy, etc, which I currently know zilch about when it comes to development, specifically.

So I'm not looking for answers from anyone, or for anyone to tell me what to do, but I wonder if anyone has any views, insights or ideas about any of these concerns that I can throw into my thoughts before I pick a course?

iMac

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 8:40 AM

8 replies

Jun 22, 2012 8:42 AM in response to mark133

"If I go for the more complete project, I also have to aim for a more complete business approach to the marketing, as I cant spend that much time on a project without compensating myself for it. But that means I have to enter the realm of competition over security, strategy, etc, which I currently know zilch about when it comes to development, specifically."

Big project or small, how do you plan on "compensating" yourself?

Jun 22, 2012 9:10 AM in response to msuper69

A small project, with just enough of an example to get someone else started on the course to completion, I could give away. But if I have to devote more of my life to the project, I'll have to get more aggressive about how the business plan is developed, which I would rather not do.

I've been trying to 'give away' the design for years, but none seem to get it. The Department of Justice has deployed a number of crime-mapping programs that use part of the initiative, and a scientific facility in Alaska has taken up the concept of measurement driven, rather than thesis driven research, and there have been some efforts to make time/space stamps widely available for data entry (cell phones, etc), but the real deal can't come together without the platform. And as much as I try to describe it, the critical difference between the potential of single variable, multitude/magnitude handling on a common platform when compared to the usual type of analysis that is done today simply eludes people.

But if I have to develop the platform with a business approach, the platform itself must be complete, yet that would only be the first phase of the plan. The rest would consist of the the most profitable deployment phases, and the marketing of training, not in the application itself, but in number theory and how to use the platform correctly.

Development Marketing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.