Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No picture on other side in FaceTime

In face time the other side is not seeing my picture. My side shows other person and me in corner so camera is working. Other person is seeing black screen.

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 5:10 PM

18 replies

Nov 7, 2015 5:17 AM in response to Lelabare

I too am having trouble with this. I have Apple working on it with no success so far. I have reloaded the iPad software and set it up as a new machine - still no joy.

I have tried Skype and that does not work either, the camera is not recognised.

The camera works fine, taking pictures with the front camera.

I am waiting for another call back from Apple Support for the next round!

Nov 9, 2015 3:16 AM in response to Lelabare

FWIW, I'm still having the same problem although my wife is now hassling me to take the iPad into the nearest Apple store for them to look at it.

I have tried re-booting the device and all those sorts of things although I haven't gone to the extent of a re-build from scratch yet. The strange thing is that if I 'Facetime' the iPad using my iPhone (but admittedly with both devices within the same wi-fi zone), then everything seems to work properly at each end but when we then try to 'Facetime' our children in other parts of the UK we end up with no picture at the other end.

Rgds Ian

Nov 9, 2015 8:25 AM in response to Iankv

Still no solution yet. I have spent hours with Apple Support on transatlantic phone calls (at their expense!) and they are baffled. I have reloaded the software to no effect. They have asked me to take my iPad into our local Apple Store Genius desk to be checked out. They have waived the charge because they want to know too. They have been brilliant and have spared no effort for a solution. I have tried using Skype and that will not recognise the camera (I have checked out all permissions)

The iPad is going in on Wednesday 12th November 2015. I will post a report on what happens.

Nov 10, 2015 5:02 AM in response to Lelabare

Having same difficulty with FaceTime and no photo showing from my camera to my daughter. Voice comes through without any trouble. Have done all updates and turned on and off ipad. Now what? My main purpose in the purchase of the iPad was for FaceTime so very frustrated As it has worked for 2 years without trouble

hhoping someone has found the answer. Apple Store is 75 miles away

Nov 17, 2015 3:12 AM in response to WingateCampbell

Apple Store replaced my iPad to no avail. Everything is the same, well almost. Last night, a FaceTime call was without an image at the other end and then, intermittently the image appeared for a second or two before disappearing again.

I am sure it has a connection with the 9.1 upgrade but is not simple, there must be other factors too. It has been suggested that it could be related to a narrow upload bandwidth with ADSL but even that is not conclusive as the same router works with another 9.1 iPad.

It is a complete mystery which makes little sense.

I will be going back to Apple in the States later.

Nov 17, 2015 3:25 AM in response to Lelabare

I booked an appointment at the Apple store yesterday (Monday16th Nov), on Sunday my son facetime'd us and for about one or two minutes he received a picture at his end and then it all went blank at the same time as a message saying "paused" came up on the screen. The message disappeared but the picture didn't reappear at his end so we had to end the call and reconnect using my iPhone.

So yesterday, went I went to the Apple store, everything worked pefectly and I was even able to Facetime my son just to check. So at the moment I have an iPad that appears to have fixed itself - don't ask me how - we will see what happens over the next few days and I will post the result here.

Rgds Ian

Nov 17, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Iankv

I have experienced this too. For a few seconds, a call worked, sort of, the image coming and going.

My local Apple Store did not know of the problem and replaced the iPad but nothing changed.

It must be a function of 9.1 but combined to something else as nor all 9.1 iPads are affected.

Mine has worked on a different network but the connection was too poor to be conclusive.

The mystery continues. I am waiting to talk to Apple Support in the States again.

No picture on other side in FaceTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.