Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to sync ipad with itunes. Message appears "ipad could not be synced because sync session failed to start" I am able to sync my ipod, though. Unsure if related but I am not able to download itunes update either. Pls help

Unable to sync ipad with itunes. Message appears "ipad could not be synced because sync session failed to start". I am able to sync my ipod though. Unsure if related but I am not able to download itunes update either. After clicking on download button, nothing happens. Please help

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 1:37 AM

8 replies

Jul 16, 2012 8:01 PM in response to ekisobe

I had the same problem with my iPad 2. Tried everything suggested by others but nothing worked. Finally this is what solved it.

1) Eject and unplug iPad. Restart MacBook Pro (OS X 10.6.8). Update iTunes to version 10.6.3 via Apple/ Software update.

2) Plug in iPad. Start iTunes (obviously 'failed to sync' message will appear). Select device on iTunes. On Summary page do a restore of iPad. It will ask you if you want to backup your iPad. Choose to backup. You will need a fast internet connection because it will update the iPad software to the latest version before restoring.

3) Choose to restore from backup.

4) Finally do a sync.

This worked for me finally after a day of trying all other methods.

Unable to sync ipad with itunes. Message appears "ipad could not be synced because sync session failed to start" I am able to sync my ipod, though. Unsure if related but I am not able to download itunes update either. Pls help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.