Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture vault bigger than library??

The last time I updated my vault after upgrading to 3.3, the vault is now almost 200 gb bigger than my library. How is this possible? What is going on? I updated again to 3.3.1 but nothing changed.

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 5:57 AM

16 replies

Jul 8, 2012 7:08 AM in response to francescarussell

I have a new 20GB Aperture Library and my first Vault generation is 40GB.

The reason is the new Aperture library has virtually no Previews saved but the Vault has generated 18GB, presumably a full set of previews.

Not sure of the necessity for generating a whole raft of previews, not sure why "half size" previews (which is my default setting) in the Vault take up almost as much space as masters, but that seems to be what is happening. I will delve in a bit deeper regarding Preview settings etc and I suggest you do the same.

Jul 8, 2012 7:34 AM in response to LD150

OK looked a bit deeper. Vault is producing full size previews of most of my new library, thus doubling the size of the Vault. This includes images that I have browsed in Aperture so that a preview should have existed??

Anyone know how to forcee Vault to use the preview settings of Aperture? Or should I update previews before creating the Vault?

Jul 9, 2012 4:15 PM in response to LD150

I don't use Vaults, but I took a small, separate managed Library and let one be established for it. The resulting size of the vault was essentially identical to the original Library, only ever so slightly smaller than the Library.

How are you are you observing the size of the Library, btw?

Insofar as what should be in a Vault, see:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH7627

Which pretty much says a vault for a managed library should be an exact copy.

Ernie

Jul 9, 2012 6:43 PM in response to francescarussell

Similar problem here. 17gig iPhoto Library after I used Aperture to relocate the Master files to another drive. (16,500 images, 600 are still Managed). 43gig of master images moved to that other drive -- but shouldn't be touched when I create a Vault.

Created the 'empy' Vault okay but when I tried to update it, I got a "Not Enough Disk Space" error. It says it needs 170gig (yeesh!) but there is only 52gig available on the volume.

Other Vaults have been okay since 3.3. This is the first one I tried to create from an iPhoto 'conversion'.

Jul 10, 2012 7:17 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

Sorry, said virtually none, ie almost none. My sloppy language. In fact there are quite a lot in number but small in volume compared to the full size previews that vault creates to fill in the gaps.

If you look at the highlighted line in the vault it corresponds to the top line in the library, so all the folders above that are previews that are in vault but not library. There are others further down that are vault only folders. In terms of size the additional lines in vault add up to 20 GBytes whereas the folders common to both total less than 18 MBytes on both sides.

Cant get an image count from package contents, don't know how. I am guessing at 50k a preview with the preview settings I am using, that's about 360 saved previews out of 12,000 masters in the library.

Is the fault with aperture not saving the previews, or is the fault with Vault ignoring preview settings, I wonder.

Jul 10, 2012 7:20 AM in response to LD150

In the Package view, if you right-click on the Preview folder, both in the Library and in the Vault, the sizes does not match -- is that correct?

The advice that Leonie gave that very small images may not have Previews generated may be the answer, but that is not at all clear. I would expect the 5 MB jpegs to need one, however, with the setting you have cited.

Ernie

Jul 10, 2012 7:36 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

That's what i don't understand, it's saving previews of 168kB images and not for 5MB ones.

If it were not for the quaint one folder with silly name per preview I could do some more analysis but it's like a word-search. It's a new library, new mac, new Aperture, one big import from folders. Can't think what else to try if rebuild has no affect.

Yes preview folder size in library 18MB, in Vault 20GB . Masters in both places around 20GB. With thumbs of 3GB thats total library of 23GB and vault of 43GB

Jul 10, 2012 11:47 AM in response to francescarussell

I too am having problems with Aperture 3.3.1

I have two 1Tb external drives: one for the library (something around 300-400Gb) and the other for the vault.

I deleted my old vault completely, and created it from scratch. It's apparently about 560Gb.

However when I try to update the vault, it says there's not enough space because it needs an *additional* 420Gb. Presumably this is on top of the 560Gb it already uses for the vault. Huh? In that case how did the vault get created in the first place.

Do we have to assume that any vault needs 3 times the space of the library it's backing up? This seems crazy.

Jul 11, 2012 1:22 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

Further and final experiments as I am now leaving this til someone else looks at their preview content. I'll also post in the other thread then stop.

First I Restored the testLibrary from the test Vault. All the full size previews were written to the library which was then 43GB.

Second experiment I forced generation of previews. All the full size previews were deleted again by Aperture. Back to 23GB.

However the folders remained - empty!

Aperture vault bigger than library??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.