Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone photos have disappeared!

I just did a long trip in Europe and had a whopping 9,000 photos on my iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1. A couple of days ago, the phone started acting funny when I took video (cutting it off after 30 seconds, for example and rebooted) and slowed to a crawl when I was taking pics. It would sometimes just restart on its own. I still had 2GB left on my phone.

To make some more space, I turned off Photo Stream. About two hours later, I went to edit some photos and the phone restarted on its own. When it came back on, all 9,000+ photos (and my folders) were gone.I took a screenshot of the empty photos section, now that's the only picture in there... When I go into Settings/General/Usage, it indicates I still have 2GB available on the phone, which leads me to believe the photos are on there somewhere (or it'd be more like 20GB+ available).

Any help is appreciated. I'd sure love these pics back... Thanks!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 8:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2017 6:01 AM

2 days ago i just got this problem too.

Now i found a soloution!

Your iphone's available storage is too low.

You should free some space with deleting apps, then your photos start coming back.

Then free some space witch deleting some of your photos.

From now you have to have some free space on your phone something about 1GB.

And if your you loose storage again, your phone would have same problem again!

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2017 6:01 AM in response to johndeguzman

2 days ago i just got this problem too.

Now i found a soloution!

Your iphone's available storage is too low.

You should free some space with deleting apps, then your photos start coming back.

Then free some space witch deleting some of your photos.

From now you have to have some free space on your phone something about 1GB.

And if your you loose storage again, your phone would have same problem again!

Apr 15, 2017 4:26 AM in response to randers4

Hi, I just noticed that more than 500 plus pics and videos from my I phone 6 photo albums have disappeared. My phone had storage issues but all those pics were backed up by i cloud. I checked my recently delete album and there is nothing there. I noticed innthe settings that the iCloud Photo Library was somehow turned off and I just turned it on. I switched offf my I phone and switched it on again but the data is still not there. I am really depressed . Can some one help :(

Jul 20, 2017 7:41 AM in response to johndeguzman

User uploaded fileranders4Jul 1, 2012 8:32 PM in response to johndeguzman

User uploaded file Level 9 (63,063 points)

Jul 1, 2012 8:32 PM Re: My iPhone photos have disappeared!in response to johndeguzman

You could always try force closing the Photos app and resetting your phone: double-tap the home button, locate Photos in the list at the bottom, tap and hold it until it wiggles, tap ➖ to close it, finish by tapping the home button. Then reset the phone: hold the on/off and home buttons until you see the Apple logo (ignore the off slider that appears first), then release.

I tried this and at first it didn't seemed to have worked fully. When it had reseted the phone only about 600 of my 9000+ images were there, I worried for ages but then after about 5-10 mins its just started to restore all of my images by its self, with a circle wheel at the bottom saying 'Restoring...' and now its slowly restoring all my images of 2 years.

About 15 or so minutes later and all my photos have been restored, I have closed the photos app and reopened it and even turned my phone off and on again and they are all still there.

Just to clarify for people as this first post was done in 2012 its July 2017 and I have a Iphone 6s+ with ios 10.2.1.

P.s Before I did this tactic I had read on a later post about deleting apps for memory... it didn't work and so I looked at the earlier posts and saw this one. I however don't know if the deleting of the apps helped towards the outcome I achieved overall or not.

Apr 12, 2017 4:33 AM in response to johndeguzman

I have an iphone 6 with 60GB storage, ios 10.3. I've been using this phone for over 2 years now.

There is nothing in my Camera Roll, although if I check the storage I can see that 22,2GB is just photos. I had over 10thousand pictures on my phone, which might be a lot, I know, but I had no issue with them until now.

Yesterday, they just disappeared. Sometimes when I open Photos they slowly start to recover but then Photos suddenly quits and if I reopen it, its empty again.

I really don't want to reset my phone without saving all the pictures first. I deleted my music, all my applications, but that didn't help either. My Macbook doesn't see anything, and iCloud is empty as well (in storage my photo stream says 471,6MB). Any tricks or tips?

Apr 16, 2017 12:46 PM in response to Tishri

Your recently deleted should have them unless there was not enough data to store a deleted copy but I doubt it. IOS should just see the data as deleted but physically store it in the same place. You should see recently deleted, as this is not the 80's days of DOS and the CMD prompt. Many users sometimes will find the switch on the right of an icon under Settings > iCloud > [app icon] suddenly on the off position. It can do that when it stops syncing with iCloud. The kicker is you will not know. There is not way to know until a problem surfaces that your iCloud.com wasn't receiving your iPhone data. The bigger kicker is once it starts to sync again it sometimes erases the data on your iPhone instead of merging it. The "engineers" of apple always blame the users. You should be depressed. Don't be lazy and store your data locally. Back up your phone on your PC or Mac. And back up your PC or Mac. Set up your PC/Mac for daily back up to an external hard drive. Do a full back up to iTunes onto your PC/Mac as often as possible. I'm on the fence about using iCloud. It's nice to have your specific files of the day restorable at any time rather then just from your last back up run time, but, the risk a sync issue with iCloud will erase all your data on your devices is pretty bad. You can't restore data to your iPhone when iCloud is the issue. Overall, probably better to risk one day of data loss and back up yourself versus losing all your data when iCloud is being unpredictable.

You never care, until it happens to you. You learned the hard way iCloud is not as reliable a paid service as they lead you to think.

Aug 15, 2017 5:22 PM in response to johndeguzman

I had this exact same problem and this is the ONLY thing that worked for me:

First, let me start by saying that I tried everything. I deleted all my apps to free up space, I deleted RAM memory, I restarted my phone... etc. Some people here suggested snapping a few pictures until the photo app restored my 9000+ pics, and to my surprise, it did start restoring but it crashed a few moments later and my picture count went back to 0.

So this is how I managed to recover my pics:

- Check your storage, if your photos app is still taking up a lot of space on your phone it means your pics are still there (they are just not showing up on the photos app)

- Download an app on your Mac or PC called iExplorer where you can view the contents of your iphone on "disk mode" (a bunch of folders). They have a Demo version that does the job. I found all my pics on a folder called DCIM and then exported it to my laptop.

Aug 22, 2017 4:08 AM in response to johndeguzman

I had the same problem today and found this thread. I was so frustrated when all of my photos/videos suddenly disappeared. Luckily, I accidentally found a solution for this. I connected my phone to my laptop to check if I would be able to retrieve the photos/videos but the DCIM folder was empty. I hit refresh then my photos/videos started to appear. 🙂

Jul 1, 2012 8:25 PM in response to johndeguzman

If you synced to create a backup (or backed up to iCloud) while these photos/videos were still on your phone you could try restoring your phone to this backup (which will revert all settings and data to those contained in the backup, not just photos). If you have already synced again since losing your photos this won't work as your backup will have been overwritten.

To do this, prior to connecting your phone, open iTunes and to to Preferences, on the Devices tab check "Prevent...from syncing automatically". Next, connect your phone and right-click on its name in iTunes on the left sidebar and select Restore from Backup, choosing your most recent backup. When done, you can go back to iTunes>Preferences>Devices and re-enable automatic syncing.

Jul 1, 2012 8:32 PM in response to johndeguzman

You could always try force closing the Photos app and resetting your phone: double-tap the home button, locate Photos in the list at the bottom, tap and hold it until it wiggles, tap ➖ to close it, finish by tapping the home button. Then reset the phone: hold the on/off and home buttons until you see the Apple logo (ignore the off slider that appears first), then release.

Jul 1, 2012 8:44 PM in response to johndeguzman

Based on what you said earler, it sounds like the photos/videos are either no longer on the phone, or something is corrupt preventing their access. You can check Settings>General>About to see home many photos are reported as being on your phone. You can also connect your phone to iTunes and look at the capacity guage to see how much space is reported as being use by photos and videos.

My iPhone photos have disappeared!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.