Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create midi files for logic

Hi,

I have some sounds in WAV and MP3 that I'd like to use with Logic Instruments such as ESX24. I assume in order to use these with this I need to convert my files into midi. How do I do this, and then how do I get the ESX24 to recognise/find these midi files?

Cheers

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 6:02 AM

21 replies

Jul 2, 2012 7:32 AM in response to snerkler1

You seem to be confused about MIDI, so now is a good time to read up a bit about it!

Drag your audio files onto an audio track in the Arrange window, select them all and right (or ctrl) click, then select Convert>Convert to New Sampler Track (Select 'Create Zones from Regions' give the Sampler Instrument a name and hit OK).

As if by magic...

Jul 2, 2012 8:13 AM in response to chorleyman

Thanks for the reply. That's not really what I'm trying to acheive though. I've got a sample of one note of a specific sound that I want to be able to make melodies from.

For example if I have my keyboard hooked up I can open up ESX24 for example, choose a sytnh sound, or piano sound and then play my piano and it will play the sound pitched to the particular note I press. I want to somehow convert my sample 'sound' so that I can open it up in something like ESX24 and the play the sound in the whole range of pitches/notes on the keyboard. Does that make sense?

If I use the method that you describe I can only use that one note.

Jul 2, 2012 9:44 AM in response to snerkler1

Oh, I see - in that case, you'll need to load up an EXS and hit the Edit button in the top right hand corner - drag your audio file onto the Edit window - I think, by default, a zone is created that covers the range of the keyboard, but there are range parameters for you to specify if necessary, best to have a go first and take it from there - it can get to be quite complex, so once you've got the basic idea the Logic Instruments manual has all the details. There are also video tutorials available (some free on YouTube - some are good and some are terrible) which can be a good way of learning about these things. I tend to avoid the ones that begin 'Yo, wassup' and the like.. he he..

When you close down the Edit window, it will ask if you want to Save the instrument, or you can hit the 'Save as' menu item first.

Jul 2, 2012 11:39 AM in response to snerkler1

Correct what? That's the way it works! It's the same reason why good sounding instruments are multi-sampled.

The original pitch is the only one that's going to sound true. Chipmunk effect as you go higher, thumb on tape real as you go lower. A musical note can have an internal loop that minimizes the effect but you will never completely diminish it.

Why does the subject line mention MIDI files?

Jul 2, 2012 2:03 PM in response to chorleyman

Thanks for the replies. I'm struggling with the manual to be honest, it's a very steep learning curve. The manual assumes you know a certain amount of knowledge already, and for complete newbies it's like reading a foreign language. For example it talk about compresseion and how to use logic to do this, but does not explain what compression is and why it's needed. At least not that I've found so far anyway.

As for having MIDI in tha title. I was obviously mis-informed as to what MIDI is. I thought it was the sound/program that could then be manipulated by instruments such as EXS24 to create notes 😕

Jul 2, 2012 2:33 PM in response to snerkler1

Yeah, I know - at least you realise that it is a learning curve, so you have to absorb one bit at a time and eventually you start pulling the bits together.

The manual makes more sense as you go along as well - the terminology and concepts involved have to be a learned thing too, so it takes time.

If you really want to get into something, you just keep doing it, though - don't even think about having an end point when you know everything.

You must learn exactly what MIDI is, though, because its a very basic communication system that works very well and its definitely gonna be around for the foreseeable future, so it was a very strange title for your question he he....

Jul 2, 2012 2:37 PM in response to chorleyman

Thanks. I can tell already that it will take a very very long time to get to grips with, I just wish I'd started years ago. Fortunately I know the fundamentals of how music is constructed, but how to get the software to do it, how to mix it and do all the tweaks I've no idea yet. At least I've worked out how to construct beats using the logic instruments, and today I've learnt how to create beats using slicing (using the Amen break; my favourite), as well as use my own sampled sounds with EXS thanks to you. Next thing is multisampling. Really enjoying it though, can't get off it.

Jul 2, 2012 4:23 PM in response to snerkler1

As for having MIDI in tha title. I was obviously mis-informed as to what MIDI is. I thought it was the sound/program that could then be manipulated by instruments such as EXS24 to create notes

Just to add some clarity here:

MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface. It's a communication protocol that was developed many years ago to allow communication between 2 or more items of hardware eg keyboards or synths or samplers. For example, you could play on one keyboard and another one would also play, because it received basic info via MIDI such as the note played, how hard/fast it was played, how long it was held etc etc.

When sequencers were introduced, they also used MIDI and allowed you to record this info, so that your performances could be reproduced and even edited. Many years later, we have this grand and complex thing called Logic Pro. Now, when you play your keyboard, it's MIDI info that moves into Logic and triggers the samples in EXS24.

Hope this adds just a little bit of light....

How do I create midi files for logic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.