Skip navigation

TS1307: Mac OS X 10.5: Can receive email, but not send email

Learn about Mac OS X 10.5: Can receive email, but not send email

TS1307 Can't Send Mail in OS 10.6.8

2553 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2012 7:30 AM by MrHoffman RSS
alibi Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 2, 2012 3:18 PM

I cannot send mail. This has been an occasional problem. I'd send and a pop-up would offer me choice: Cancel, ~Trash, or Save as Draft. I'd save and successfully send as a draft. The last few days I've had to the saved draft and send in  Eudora. Today I spent some time on this. At first it looked all right in Mail/Preferences/Accounts, smtp.west.cox.net.user name--then it persistently included (Offline), but Mail menu bar/ Window showed Take All Accounts Online dimmed and Take All Accounts Offline as the active option. At this time I could receive but not send mail. I have edited the smtp server list a number of times. No show of offline there. When I'm done (Offline) again pops up on theOutgoing Mail Server (SMTP). I deleted the account and recreated it and could not send. The (Offline) did not appear after the smtp.cox.net.user name. Early 2006 iMac, OS 10.6.8 

The settings are OK, the same as in Eudora. I'm baffled!

Message was edited by: alibi

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • MrHoffman Level 6 Level 6 (11,710 points)
    Jul 2, 2012 4:32 PM (in response to alibi)

Cox reportedly requires TCP port 587 with SSL/TLS enabled, or TCP port 465 with SSL/TLS enabled.

Have you checked to see what hte Connection Doctor tool (Mail.app > Window > Connection Doctor) reports?

Is anything relevent listed in the console logs around the failures?  (Applications > Utilities > Console.app)

Jul 3, 2012 12:27 PM (in response to alibi)

This seems either an application or preferences corruption involving mail, or something weird with the Cox mail servers, or the connection to the mail servers.   That it's sometimes working is pariticularly weird.

Is anything relevent listed in the console logs around the time of the failures?  (Applications > Utilities > Console.app)  That can sometimes point to problems.

If the logs don't show anything, I'd get your settings to mostly work, then reboot and see if that clears things.

Ensure you have a good backup or two of your disk before proceeding...

Then try creating a temporary new user with a different short name than is used anywhere else, and log in and set up mail there, and see if that works.  (That'll spot plist or config or other user-local errors.)  Leave the user around temporarily.

I'd then work up to loading the 10.6.8 combo update (and not the delta update), as a potential way to clear a corruption.  Try your "real" user and the temporary user.

Then (as a last-ditch, probably won't work) repair permissions and verify volume, using Disk Utility when booted from your installation DVD disk.  Try both users.

And then next step is to reload OS X.

But this is all a guess...

Jul 6, 2012 3:49 PM (in response to alibi)

If there are corruption or stability issues with unrelated applications and components, including Keychain Access and apparently with opening apps, then the OS X system appears to have a low-level software or hardware corruption, or failure.

Based on the dumps shown, I don't think there's an InputManager around.  (Those can cause weird problems.)

It's time to get a backup.  Preferably two, as you don't want to lose your data.  Onto external disks, or a disk and a Time Capsule backup from Time Machine, or...

Then reinstall OS X atop itself using your distribution disks, and then use Software Update to patch to current.

If that fails, then wipe the disk, install, and tell OS X to install onto the wiped disk and use the Migration Assistant to pull the files in from the backup, and patch to current.

As an alternative to reinstalling, have a chat with the folks at the local Apple Store or Apple retailer, and see what they suggest.

Jul 13, 2012 7:30 AM (in response to alibi)

Your system is corrupt.  Given the lack of backup access and given that more you work with a corrupted system, the more likely additional files can be corrupted or lost.  This is your call, of course.

The only thing I'd be looking to do with the existing (corrupt) disk is looking to get an additional backup or two off of that device.  Additional copies of my data, and out on external devices.

I'd then suggest installing a hard-wired connection to the Time Capsule (both for speed, and if your WiFi is possibly also wonky), and I'd install a new copy of OS X on the external disk, and restore your system from the contents of the Time Capsule. 

If you trust your internal disk, wipe that disk, install a fresh copy of OS X there, and then install from Time Capsule there.

If the system is presently covered under warranty, check with the AppleCare folks directly.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.