Previous 1 2 Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2012 6:10 AM by Bilbo_cheshire
eex12 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi,

I recently bought this Ipod Classic from a person on Ebay but he didn't list the Generation and I'm trying to find out what it is.

My serial number is: 8k91****c7

Thanks

<Edited by Host>

iPod classic, Windows 7
  • Niel Level 10 (298,461 points)

Click here for information.

(67563)

• eex12 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Niel,

This doesnt help me because it doesnt say the GENERATION of my ipod. I need to know if its 4g. 5g 6g 7g, etc

Thanks

• TooDarkPark Level 4 (1,585 points)

Not to be mean but in this case, Google is your friend. There was only one 120GB iPod Classic and the generation popped up in my very first 120GB Classic search.

Hi,

It doesnt say the generation... like 4G 5G 6G 7G... It just says Ipod classic 120gb late 2008...

• Niel Level 10 (298,461 points)

That's a sixth generation model.

(67568)

• Bilbo_cheshire Level 4 (1,780 points)

Hi eex12,

Just curious, why the interest in the Gen?

Niel is right s/n ****c7 indicate the iPod Classic 6th Gen R.1

Officially I think Apple doesn't release a 7th Gen, they tag it as 6th Gen. Rev2,

unfortunately everyone is calling it 7th Gen. for 160GB.

A  more important info, is, which iPod software is shown in the iTunes summary page, in your case it should be at least ver 2.0.2, which has the latest updated codecs.

If the software is ver 1.1.2, which you cant upgrade, then it is a 5th Gen iPod Classic, and some of the newer song and video format doesn't work.

Have a nice day!

Thanks guys.

Uhm I'm thinking of rockboxing it later on becuase most my music is in FLAC which I dont see why Apple doesn't support FLAC... I mean why not? Its pretty stupid if you ask me

Rockbox, is compatible with 5th Gen or earlier, as the new 6th Gen, uses different firmware, with new Audio chip by CirrusLogic. You may have to replace the firmware with emCore, then load Rockbox.

Sorry that's all I can think of, I haven't got a 6G to experiment.

Have a nice day!

Thanks,

I dont understand all this emcore and audio chip stuff, is there any tutorial on how to do it? Or is there any other software to allow your ipod to play FLAC? I hate using iTunes as well so yea. I really want to rockbox it but I dont think I can...

If you know people who has  Rockboxed thier iPod 6th Gen, (or 5th Gen) asked them about the sound quality and try to hear their iPod sound quality as well.

Rockbox maybe doable, if you can tell me what is your iPod Software version as shown in the iTunes summary page?

You may not like what you hear, after you have RockBoxed your iPod, as I dont think the new iPod Cirrus Audiochip can handle FLAC encoded data.

But some of the functionality might not work, as they say it is not stable.

Would be easier if you convert and try a few of  the FLAC songs format to Apple Lossless format or HE-AAC and play it on your iPod now.

Sorry, got to close this, I got nothing else to contribute. or suggest.

Good Luck!

Hi,

the version is 2.0.1

How do I convert into Apple Lossless or He-ACC? and are they the exact same as FLAC, soundwise?

You got to update your iPod software first to the latest 2.0.2 or maybe 2.0.4

When you connect to the PC and iTunes launched, go to the summary page as below, under the Version segment, click the check for update button..

Here is an iLounge Article on iTunes get yourself familiar with it.

Read the section on importing digital music.

when you get to AAC encoder section, read a bit more on high Efficiency Encoding

Basically, before you import your CD music to iTunes library.

1. Access your import settings in iTunes menu Preference-> Advanced
    2. Choose your Audio format to HE-AAC bitrate 320kbps

Experiment and Have fun!.

Thanks,

What does updating do?

So pretty much I can only play 320kbps? How do I change to apple lossless?

Updating is installing the latest iPod  software in your iPod, which has the original ver. 2.0.1 with lots of bugs.

It is all in the iLounge article, this forum wpould go to hundreds of posts between you and me, to explain the functionality of iTunes, which is better address if you post your query in iTunes community forum.

Previous 1 2 Next