Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cant send emails

Hi,

I cant send emails from my main account

Connection Doctor says I am connected for send and receive. I have created test accounts, I can send from them, but not my main account. I think I have to delete a cache, but dont know how. Please help.

I am on 10.6.8

I think ther is information on this on Apple support articles, but I can get to it as it is on maintenance.

Please help.

iMac, Windows Vista, Windos Vista running on Parallels

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 12:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 3:31 PM

Is your main account an old MobileMe or dot mac account?

Or if not, what is the part after the @ sign?

26 replies

Jul 9, 2012 12:46 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

Thanks for responding. I dont have MobileMe. I am in France. I have 4 SMTP servers for sending emails.

Most recently I have been able to send emails from two of them - the Google account and the Orange account. They are . . . .@gmail.com and . . . .@orange.fr

I have tried completely removing all the information for sending and recieveing emails, then re-inputting it all. Also long power off with mains plug removed.

I have had this problem before and had to go to Apple 2nd level support to get it fixed. Unfortunately I did not keep a record of what was done. I will this time!

Jul 9, 2012 1:00 AM in response to sirtopher

This is really bizzare. It is nearly 10 am local time. The computer was off overnight. It has been on for about 20 minutes. Just now it asked me to select a server to send the emails, I chose Orange and it has just started sending the 6 emails that were in the out basket. I just sent a test message, that went too.

I spent the whole weekend trying to shift them - failed. Just now they went by them selves.

I dont get it. Can anyone explain?

I am not going to call Apple now, I will wait and see what happens.

Jul 10, 2012 12:08 PM in response to BDAqua

Yes is sort of works now. But the program on my computer is still unreliable. Since the above post it stopped again and recovered. I have discovered that I can make it work by doing the following.

1. Delete the chaches

2. Close and open Mail

3. Restart the Mac

4. Wait for time to pass.

I use the iMac in the UK and in France (La Bell France right now). Each time I change location I have trouble with mail.

Now I know I an not clever enough to do it, but if I could retrieve an error log would it be possible for an Apple expert to analyse it and find out what is wrong?

Jul 10, 2012 1:51 PM in response to sirtopher

It's possible a log could help, if you can narrow it down to a few lines.

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

But it sounds like if location changes cause it, then it may be authentication or ports used... generally one ISP won't pass, especially Send mail from another ISP's domain without using SSL.

Example, you connect to french.isp.com & try to send mail from you@uk.isp.com without proper port & authentication, then it'll fail.

The receiving email ports are:

IMAP is port 143

IMAP-SSL is port 993

POP is port 110

POP-SSL is port 995

Outgoing ports are...

SMTP and SMTP-SSL is on ports 25, 587 and 465. Port 587 has to be SSL, and port 465 is enforced TLS-wrapped and is generally used by Outlook users.

Jul 10, 2012 2:13 PM in response to sirtopher

To get the logs, which are by no means simple even for a second level support to decipher but to get them anyway and post them launch the conneciton doctor, click show details, followed by check again.

There will be a lot of text, especially with four active accounts. It's best to post them if you find a problem while only one email account is enabled.

I have a better idea than what I propose with the exception of giving us logs for the one bad account.

Let's use some isolation, simple tests and observations.

1) Go to Mail>Preferences>accounts

2) Select one account at a time (you should see 4 on the left side)

3) Click the Advanced Tab

4) Remove the checkmark "Enable this account"

5) Do the above to 3 of you4 accounts.

-don't worry, your emails are all still there but they hide as a result of removing the tick next to "Enable this account"

-Close the mail preferences window and save

6) open connection doctor

7) All green lights?

8) If yes, then send an email to yourself

9) does it go out and come back?

10) if yes then this account is fine

You can now go back to the beginning of the steps, and disable this good account and enable one of the other 3 acocunts that we had disabled. Do one account at a time. Eventually you should find the culprit through connection doctor or sending / receiving email actions.

----

Also, what do you mean by loactions?

I use the iMac in the UK and in France (La Bell France right now). Each time I change location I have trouble with mail.

Do you mean physcial locations? Does a different wireless or wired network produce different results? Is this what you are meaning?

Let me know, I'll chime back as soon as I can and do report back on your findings using the method above to check on an account by account basis which in itself is atypical of me to request but the issue is hard to figure out. The locations bit, for me anyway, needs some more detail.

----

Also, this extremely well put together article can prove most useful! …http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3276?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Incidently, this link does mention location, here is what Apple support has to say on location and how it can affect email.

Yes, I am connected from a new location

1. In the Mail Connection Doctor, double-click the row that has a red dot next to an account name containing "smtp".
  2. Click the Advanced tab.

If your Internet service provider and email service provider are the same company, and your SMTP authentication is set to "None", you may be able to send email only when you are directly connected to the Internet via your Internet Service Provider.

Kind regards

Alex

Jul 11, 2012 1:42 AM in response to sirtopher

Dear All,

You have been fantastically helpful, over the next few days I will follow your advice and see what I can find.

For your information the 4 email providers are

.....@onetel.com - cant get it to work in France, OK to recieve, not to send.

.....@gmail.com - does work in France

.....@O2.co.uk - currently not set up in preferences, because I could not get it to work

.....@orange.fr - does work in France

In France the network is - Linksys modem/router connected to iMac and time capsule with eathernet cables. WiFi on router and time capsule switched on.

In UK - O2 modem/router connected to time capsule by eathernet. iMac connected to time capsule by WoFi.

Jul 11, 2012 2:24 AM in response to sirtopher

Hi Sirtopher

I found some added information.

Here is talktalk.net's official page on email settings, it's the best I could find:

http://www.onetel.co.uk/faq/outlook-express-and-microsoft-outlook-xp.html

also

http://help.talktalk.co.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/1668/~/what-are-talktalk's-em ail-settings%3F

This page is very useful when calling an ESP for settings, incase those provided in the link above are too daunting. Consider the table in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1277, print out the pages that have the table. When on the phone with onetel (I think it's talktalk) you can ask them all the questions in the table, write them down on the printed table and keep it around for reference. It should also help you input the correct settings.

Why onetel does not work in France is interesting, are you using proxies?

The same would apply for O2.co.uk but their e-mail settings are obviously different so here is the link for them but I could only find settings for POP3, http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,question=ref (user):str(Mobile),CASE=11009

This page is also useful but I am not sure why so many providers are hosted here for Orange, I will leave for you anyway, http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/506007

Hope this helps further.

Jul 13, 2012 2:03 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua, Thanks.

I have looked at the log in Console (first time ever, thanks for telling me about it). I could not see anything related to Mail problems.

I checked the sending ports, as sending is my problem. I am using SSL on Gamil and Orange. These services work today. I spent yesterday evening trying to send emails - total failure.

So far I can send on Gmail and Orange today 11 am French time, from past experience I have no confidence that it will last.

Jul 13, 2012 2:13 AM in response to LostAccount

Hi LostAccount, Thanks for your help.

I have looked at the Onetel links and tried the settings. Still failed to get it working. I will try to contact onetel and verify my password, perhaps I have it wrong.

I do have a VPN service that I use in France, but it is only enabled to watch UK only videos and TV. It is definitely off when I use Mail

I will also have a another go at O2 using your tips. But at the time of writing I can send emails with Orange and Gmail. But who knows when this will change!

For the moment I wont touch the Orange settings but I will look at the linl.

Jul 14, 2012 1:42 AM in response to sirtopher

I will try to contact onetel and verify my password, perhaps I have it wrong.

Mail would be requesting your password if it were incorrect.

I do have a VPN service that I use in France, but it is only enabled to watch UK only videos and TV. It is definitely off when I use Mail

I believe you are talking about a proxy setting. Either way, if it is VPN, it wouldn't affect Mail. VPN is typically used to act as a tunnel between you and another point on the internet, it's used to establish a secure connection between two points.

You may have a large email that is try to go out and never concludes, therefore Mail sort of gets 'stuck', I wonder if this is the case. Viewing the activity window may reveal a thread that never ends.

If the affected email accounts is an IMAP account, try removing it from Mail>Preferences>Accounts and it back or before this recommended step, go to the Mailbox menu and choose "Synchronize all accounts"

I hope this helps. Good that Orange and Gmail work.

I cant send emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.