Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ports 80 and 443 locked?

I am trying to use port 80 adn 443 for remote access to my Iomega Media Drive, theses are the only ports the Iomega can access.

I have opened them in the router, but the continue to be blocked. I cannot figure out what is keeping these two ports closed, but something is. I can open other ports, just ot these two?

Any guidance on the subject appreciated.

Henry

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 9:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 9:22 PM

Some ISP's block those ports, because they don't want you to run a public web server.

10 replies

Jul 11, 2012 8:20 PM in response to Henry Cline1

Those are the default ports; you don't need to specify them.

This discussion has nothing to do with OS X, so I'm going to sign off now. Make sure the device has a static private IP address, not an address assigned by a DHCP server. On the router, make sure the correct TCP ports are forwarded to that address, and that incoming connections aren't blocked by a firewall. You will of course need either a static public IP address or a dynamic DNS name for your router, and in the latter case, you'll have to make sure that name is updated when your IP address changes.

For the record, I think what you're doing is a big mistake, especially if you have any confidential data on that little consumer gadget. The risk of being hacked is high. If you access the device with HTTP, your password will be sent in the clear, and so will the data. That's frankly ridiculous.

Feb 13, 2016 9:03 AM in response to cameronfromglasgow2

I also found this helpful. It seems strange that Apple, potentially the largest organisation in the world requires specific access to these ports, and ISPs cannot have these open! tHanks very much for your comments

Linc Davis is NOT Apple. He is just a fellow Mac user that has been contributing to the Apple forums for a long time.

And how is Apple responsible for a Iomega Media Drive?

How is Apple responsible for some ISP's blocking port 80 and 443 for home users so they do not set up a home business on a non-business internet connection (they also tend to block ports 25, 465 and 587 mail server ports to block home computers becoming spam servers), etc...

In other words, I do not understand your comment.

Ports 80 and 443 locked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.