Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shadows adjustment seems messed up in 3.3.1

Okay, so I think the 3.3.1 update was created mainly for the Retina dispaly on the new MBP, with its rich blacks and such. Because now, the shadows slider has no visible effect on my images until I get near a value of 30 or so, whereas I used to see a difference instantly. And the 'Brighten Shadows' quick fix option does absolutely nothing.

I think this is finally going to push me over to LR. There has been a problem with every single update that I can recall, and I use the software way too often to have it waste my time. Unless I'm missing something ... anyone?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 8:25 PM

2 replies

Jul 12, 2012 8:31 PM in response to Frohmaster

You can recreate the old H&S adjustments - see Kirby Krieger's Thread:

How to not miss that olde-tyme Highlights & Shadows 7-slider Brick

Basically you use an image, that still has the Version 3.2 Highlights & Shadows adjustments and create an adjustment preset (effect) from this image. Then you can use the advanced controls again for all images.

Regards

Léonie

Jul 12, 2012 8:48 PM in response to Frohmaster

I suggest reading these two comments as well:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4088360?answerId=18854821022#18854821022

I have since bound this to a keyboard shortcut in Aperture using "Aperture➞Commands➞Customize". I recommend finishing the set-up by assigning the Effect (which is null until you change the sliders) to a keyboard shortcut.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4055517?answerId=18740709022#18740709022

... The new Brick is more useful than I first thought. Like you, I was used to the _scale_ of the sliders in the old Brick, and shocked to find that what I had internalized as "enough" had become "not visible".

You have to train your mouse-hand with the new Brick's sliders as a totally new Brick, not as a modified version of the old Brick. Now that I am comfortable with the scale (and the variation within the scale, as you point out), the new Brick is nowhere near as useless (and offensive for this) as I first judged it to be.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- links semi-corrected; ASC not working reliably (sorry)

Shadows adjustment seems messed up in 3.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.