Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will iTunes match work with movies or tv shows not purchased from iTunes.

I have a collection of DVD's that I backed up on my computer and imported to iTunes. I would like to pay for iTunes match the same way it works with ripped cds. Does anyone know when or if this will happen? I don't want to pay for the same DVD twice, just so I can take advantage of iTunes Match.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 9:06 AM

21 replies

Jul 23, 2012 5:22 AM in response to ltlowaist

I agree with TooDarkPark. I would not hold my breath waiting on the movie studios to approve anything like iTunes Match for video. They want you to pay them for every instance of their content you watch, and since ripping DVD's is technically illegal in the US thanks to the movie studios they aren't going to change their stance anytime soon.

Oct 4, 2012 2:21 AM in response to ltlowaist

Once you have imported DVD into iTunes, find the movie file in Finder and just drag it into your Dropbox folder. Then go to any other device and watch it there.... works perfectly whether it's another of your devices or somewhere you can log into Dropbox. I import DVDs I've bought into iTunes on my iMac then drag into Dropbox if I want to watch a movie on my MacBook Air (no DVD drive) when away from home. It's actually better than if iTunes match were to cover DVDs not bought from iTunes because you can watch anywhere, not just on your other iCloud devices.

Nov 29, 2012 10:30 PM in response to msr314159

I don't think Dropbox would be able to handle my 2TB plus of movies and TV shows 🙂

A decent solution for users without that many movies though. However it's no help for Apple TV users, at the moment at least. Maybe when apps are finally implemented on the ATV Dropbox will make one.

If iTunes Match included movies I would be sold on it. But yeah, it probably won't happen any time soon.

Jan 22, 2013 7:55 AM in response to sfrancis928

I don't see why they couldn't ever provide this service. Vudu is providing a DVD->Digital Copy "matching" service for $2 per movie, and I believe Walmart is doing it for UltraViolet, too.

Jan 24, 2013 1:23 PM in response to ltlowaist

I'm with Ridikelus. Apple/iTunes and the movie studios are missing the boat here. I know Apple is anti-disc/anti-Blu-ray, but that is still mine, and a lot of other customers preferred way of purchasing movies. I have used the Walmart service, DVD to Digital Copy. $2 for SD, $5 for HD and it works great. If Apple doesn't come up with a solution to this, they aren't really leaving me a lot of reason to stay with iTunes. Vudu/Ultra Violet are now linked together (with Flixster) and all of my digital copies are safely stored in the cloud. Through Flixster, I can download them to my iPad and take them with me (well, alot of them...not all yet). I'm seeing less and less reason to get my movies through iTunes. I just was given the option with my Hunger Games Blu-Ray on whether I wanted the digital copy in iTunes or in UltraViolet...and I chose Ultra Violet. Gives me way more options for playback.

Apple better think of something quick.

Jan 27, 2013 4:51 PM in response to umbrelladrink

Yeah the only with UV is that the licence is limited - unlike itunes, where, one you own the movie, you own the movie.

That's one big reason to hate (as I do) UV. Another is that once you download the movie ('for keeping forever' unlike the online version) then it is only valid on the one device you downloaded to - you can't transfer it from your macpro to your macbookpro. So you have to then wait for another (painfully slow) download of a film that you already downloaded.

Don't believe? Try moving your Sony folder from one machine to another - it won't work. So if in 3 years time, when you licence on UV has run dry, and you upgrade your MBP, you've lost that copy.

A few films have already stopped the downloads eg Jeff Lives at Home. Others just won't let you download eg Spider-Man 2.1.

UV ***** and I hope it dies.

Jun 9, 2013 9:40 PM in response to ltlowaist

so, after reading, there is no way I can watch my movies on mi iphone 5 without saving in it? its not fair if im paying por itunes matchh that i cant upload my movies to, and there is no space on mi iphone to save all the gb that a movie include

there's something to do? or i cant watch movies on mi iphone? 16gb is not enought memory to save movies and we all know it

Jun 10, 2013 6:02 AM in response to hexonxonx

Getting a larger phone isn't at all necessary. The VUDU/Ultraviolet "Disc to Digital" service that I mentioned above is exactly like iTunes Match, but for DVDs. Match your disc, pay $1 each (they have a bulk discount), and then your movies are available from the cloud anytime and anywhere - such as on your 16GB iPhone. Then you can give your DVDs away.

I'm a big fan of Apple, but this is a gap in their service offerings that VUDU/UltraViolet fills nicely.

Jun 10, 2013 8:43 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

I agree that for whatever reason, they probably haven't gotten the industry approval that they need to do this. But VUDU/UltraViolet has. Plus, that opens you up to being able to watch your movies from the cloud on non-Apple devices, because iTunes is only on Apple TV.

When will iTunes match work with movies or tv shows not purchased from iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.