Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook HDMI to TV has no sound

I can connect my tv to my macbook pro through a HDMI cable and the picture shows up perfectly. However, the sound goes through my laptop speakers and not through the tv. When I go into Preferences --> sound --> output, there is not option to select for the hdmi, just the internal speakers. How can I get the sound to go through the tv instead?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2017 6:09 AM

In my situation, I could see the HDMI option in Settings. I tried restarting both computer and screen, interconnected and not; went through all settings on both and nothing helped. Then, all of a sudden, the power went out. Macbook kept going on battery as the TV shut down. A couple of minutes later, power was back on and everything was working fine.

So, I recommend not only restarting the monitor but actually unplugging it from power for a moment.

I use an LG UHD 43" as an additional display.

111 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2017 6:09 AM in response to ashhhbee

In my situation, I could see the HDMI option in Settings. I tried restarting both computer and screen, interconnected and not; went through all settings on both and nothing helped. Then, all of a sudden, the power went out. Macbook kept going on battery as the TV shut down. A couple of minutes later, power was back on and everything was working fine.

So, I recommend not only restarting the monitor but actually unplugging it from power for a moment.

I use an LG UHD 43" as an additional display.

Jun 16, 2017 11:38 AM in response to KimchiGyrl

Thank you so much this information! I also have a 2009 Macbook and Insignia TV. And nothing I did would work until I found your post about using the auxiliary cord. For others who are having the same problem, I would add that I do not have a "pc audio in" on my tv. Mine says DVI audio in. Even after using this auxiliary cord, the option to select your tv still does not show up under Preferences>Sound>Output. However, under the Input tab, there was an option for Audio Line in Port and I choose that. My tv remote doesn't work (other than volume) once the laptop is hooked up to my tv so I would be curious how KimchiGyrl is able to use hers.

Aug 19, 2012 9:18 AM in response to ashhhbee

i have this same problem, however i downloaded sound flower lion, and now the hdmi option shows up, but i get a message in the window telling me "the selected device has no output controls".

i am using a rocketfish adapter and a dynex hdmi cable as suggested to me by a future shop employee

any help would b appreciated thanx

k

Jan 10, 2013 11:49 AM in response to onarock

I juat bought a 13" MacBookPro with retina display. I followed all your suggestions but still no sound coming out of the TV. I'm planning to call an apple adviser, as I'm still within the 3 months full support timeframe. My sound system on my HDTV TV can come directly from the TV or from a hooked up stereo system. I tried it either way with no success. I probably will have to get a senior advisor and even then I'm not sure they'll be up to solving my problem. If you have any other suggestions let me know.

Sep 15, 2017 8:20 AM in response to ashhhbee

I am having the same problem with no HMDI sound but, only with HBO GO. Other audio/visual streams work! I can HDMI stream from Facebook, Youtube, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax, Netflix, ESPN - ALL Work! I have tried changing to Foxfire from Safari, same problem with Foxfire. I have tried pretty much every suggestion on this and other threads - nothing. I am using a MacBook Pro 2010 15 inch. Funny thing is my wife has a 2014 Airbook 11 inch and HBO GO is working - for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 13, 2015 12:39 PM in response to ashhhbee

After I contacting Apple Support I was able to see "HDMI as an option for TV" by

SMC reset instructions:

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter (The charger) to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

NOTE: Option is labeled as 'Alt' on some models

4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time. (The device should not power on at this point.)

5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

- How do I know this was done correctly?

- You must hit the power button on its own after you release the buttons from step 4 to power on.

- Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Reference Article: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

—

PRAM/NVRAM reset instructions:

1. Shut down your Mac.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard:

Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears. (For systems with OS X Yosemite: before the black screen with white apple appears)

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

- How do I know this was done correctly?

- You will hear two or more startup chimes during boot.

Reference Article: Resetting PRAM/NVRAM

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1895

Oct 1, 2017 12:10 PM in response to ashhhbee

This worked for me.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-the-Sound-on-a-Mac-Computer

Open the Activity Monitor and stop the "coreaudiod" process. This will restart the sound controller for the Mac:[2]

• Open Activity Monitor from the Utilities folder.
  • Find the "coreaudiod" process in the list. Click the "Process Name" header to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Click the the "Quit Process" button. After confirming, coreaudiod will be closed and will restart automatically.

Turn your Mac off. Resetting the parameter RAM (PRAM) can fix a variety of problems related to volume control and sound output. This will reset a few settings but will not delete any of your data.

Aug 19, 2012 10:34 AM in response to Zyriab

no, it is not, but after searching these boards even more i discovered this gem, and now all is good, except that u have to change the audio each time......i think......so i mite get an audio cable to make it easier for my hon to hook up........here is the gem

"

SlugBlanket UK

DisplayPort to HDMI Sound is actually set up by using the MIDI setup utility found in :

Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup.

If you purchased an iWires cable direct from Apple the instructions are in the printed booklet that comes in the packaging. Most people don't read this as it's normally the case that when you plug a cable in to anything it just works (VCR, TiVo, Xbox, video camera etc). In this instance Apple are failing to live up to their catch-phrase as final setup is NOT intuitive; "it just DOESN'T work".

The booklet instructions basically say do the following,

Video

System Preferences > Displays. There are 3 tabs in the window; Displays, Arrangement and Color. Be sure you are on the Displays tab. Bottom left of the window tick "Show displays in menu bar" and then bottom right click "Detect Displays".

Now click on the tab named Arrangement. Bottom left of the window tick "Mirror Displays".

You should now only see 2 tabs, Display and Color. Be sure you are on the Displays tab. Select the desired resolution for your TV (probably 1080i). leave all other settings at their default values.

Sound

System Preferences > Sound. There are 3 tabs in the window; Sound Effects, Output and Input. Be sure you are on the Sound Effects tab. Middle of the window select your TV where it says "Play sound effects through:".

Select the middle tab named Output.

Select your TV from the drop-down list next to HDMI, below where it says "Select a device for sound output".

Using either Finder or Launchpad go to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup.

On the left-hand side of the window you should now see HDMI. In the middle of the window, on the Output tab, where it says "Source:" select your TV from the drop-down list.

This last action below is NOT described in the iWires notes but was required in my case, it may also be required in yours. If you CANNOT see a speaker icon next to HDMI in the list on the left, do the following:

Bottom left of the window select the wheel icon with the down-pointing triangle. Make sure that sound output is selected and that you can now see a speaker icon next to HDMI in the list of devices.

If you still cannot hear sound, log out of your account and then log back in.

You will now have sound coming out of your TV from your computer 🙂

You may have to do some or all of the above to get sound out of your TV from your computer using the DisplayPort to HDMI cable. On my Aug 2011 MacbookPro I had to do ALL of the above. If you take your laptop to a different TV you will have to do it all again so be warned.

Hope this helps. "

k

MacBook HDMI to TV has no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.