Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fullscreen with dual monitors still broken

Now that Mountain Lion is released, I was hoping this fullscreen issues (shown here in 10.7 https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3196329?start=0&tstart=0) would be fixed.

Fullscreening an app still makes the second monitor useless linnen pattern. If I want to fullscreen an editor on one monitor while using the other for reference/IM/music/whatever, its not possible.

Would love to hear about a coming fix for this or any interm solutions poeple may have.

15" Macbook Pro Core i7 w/ HD screen, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 10:01 AM

39 replies

Jul 25, 2012 11:42 AM in response to wesbos

WOW, so I STILL can't update from Snow Leapord then? I absolutely CAN NOT believe Apple hasn't fixed this issue. It bothers me to no end that I purchased a Mac Pro just so i can have a computer thats severly undersupported. I guess I should just throw away my two other monitors?

Feedback has been left, for months and months, PLEASE fix this ASAP Apple.

Jul 25, 2012 11:54 AM in response to David M Brewer

Did you try 10.0 developer preview?! That was just really scary. Doesn't count in my books. There was also OSX server 1.0, which might count. Wasn't ready for production until 10.3 where I come from, but 10.1 didn't do daily kernel panics or lose files that you're copying, unlike 10.0.

Still, that's at least 8 versions. Just saying. You'd a thought that various window/screen modes would have been perfected. I still can't believe that you can't put the dock on the screen you want, and the menu bar on a different screen.

Jul 25, 2012 2:37 PM in response to fishffishstinks

fishffishstinks wrote:

Apple seems to be reverting to the days of single-tasking applications. Even in full screen metro apps in Windows 8, you can use the desktop on the second screen at the same time.

And then there are the guys with half-a-dozen displays on their Linux boxes. Those work just fine, too, I bet.

I bought Lion, but am still running Snow Leopard. As it stands now, this 5-year-old MacBook 2,1 (4GB RAM, 600GB SSD) will never see an upgrade and will be used for as long as it can still present a viable work environment for the development/testing I need to do in Windows under Parallels Desktop. I had every intention of purchasing a MacBook Pro Retina with Mountain Lion, but I will not purchase more Apple hardware until such time as they fix this problem.

DOS and DESQview did full-screen mode task switching beautifully ... in 1990. Twenty-two years later, I expect better from Apple.

Jul 25, 2012 4:33 PM in response to Guttsu

Just to clarify, Guttsu, you can have two windows open and maximized in two seperate monitors in Mountain Lion just the same as in Snow Leopard. Spaces integrates beautifully with two destops —until you bring an app into fullscreen (note this is different then just maximizing it).

The problem is that apps running in fullscreen take up one space on every display, insted of just one space on one single display. Most apps (with a few notable exceptions) have nothing to display on a second display so the space is waisted.

Jul 26, 2012 8:40 AM in response to wesbos

I thought this was supposed to be fixed in Mountain Lion. In fact, the What's New in Mountain Lion page on the Apple web said, has this to say:

Go full screen on any display

If you have a secondary display connected to your Mac, you can take an app full screen on either display. Drag the window to the desired display and click the full-screen button.

So what happened?

Aug 1, 2012 11:37 AM in response to Simonp123456

Apple has entered new levels of ********. Windows 8 might just hand them their collective behinds on a platter.

Back in the late '90s I remember the fruity iMac ad, in a world of grey desktop PCs.

Now with a grey & drab Mountain Lion, complete with functionally useless "features," and a fruity Windows 8 with at least some imagination, I'd say the whole game has been reversed.

Apple has become its own enemy.

Aug 4, 2012 5:24 AM in response to wesbos

I'm having the same issue that is related to this case. Apple is likely to look into this issue to get resolved i suggest many of you that having this issue please give a troubleshoot to Apple (Report it here http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html) against this case so they might will fix this issue on the next version of Mountain Lion 10.8.x hopefully Apple can look into fixing this issue if not try to submit the report again and again than the Apple developers will be forced to work on this case.

I hope this information will be helpful to all of us!

Good Luck everyone!

Sulaiman

Aug 13, 2012 7:31 AM in response to wesbos

It is possible to get rid of the linen (it took some time to go through the options). In parallels, exit full screen mode, then go to the Virtual Machine menu. Select Configure, then go to Full Screen. You can then un-check Use Mac OS X Full Screen. It will get rid of the linen, however I find its particularly glitchy on my laptop's display. Parallels is displaying fine, but any app that is loaded in my OS X seizures... Parallels FAIL.

Fullscreen with dual monitors still broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.