Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

drag n drop not dropping

I can drag, but Mountain Lion won't let me drop. It appears to be "stuck" as if i'm hovering over a different folder and it will open that folder but regarless of mouse or keboard press, it wont release and drop.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 12:49 PM

37 replies

Jul 29, 2012 8:22 AM in response to fountainjim

Some of the live-action layering is changed in 10.8, probably a result of becoming more iPad like in the OS. Where objects underneath used to become selected on hover they often no longer do which means you can't drop whatever you are dragging. I noticed this in the iTunes Infowindow fields. The imperfect solution was to put iTunes in front and drag objects from a browser in the background, which still works.

Jul 29, 2012 7:26 PM in response to Gnarlodious

Very interesting finding.... lastly night I let the ML turned on over night until this morning. I found that the dragged icon now can be dropped as expected.

In addition, I reported another two problem last night that hot corner suddenly cannot work and menu bar cannot be displayed in full screen mode. Again, in this morning, both problem disappeared, where it can work properly.

Then I rebooted the system. Interestingly I experienced the same three problem again. After few hours, those few problem were suddenly disappeared.

Jul 30, 2012 3:29 PM in response to fountainjim

Also having this problem. It happens across applications (Ableton Live, Numbers, Finder, etc). It happens whether I use a physical click-drag or a three-finger drag. It also seems to cause the current application to beachball.

There are some drag-drop actions that are fine, for instance using the drag selection rectangle in the Finder or Numbers (to select many columns of a spreadsheet). The drag-drop actions that appear to be problematic involve dragging an item, like dragging a file from one folder to another. When you go to drop the item, it stays stuck the mouse cursor, even if you switch applications using Command-Tab. Doing this with Activity Monitor open shows a spike in CPU use after releasing the mouse, so perhaps there's a bug in whatever action takes place that normally causes the drop to happen.

The best way I've found to get something un-stuck from the mouse cursor is to click a menu at the top of the screen. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to force it to drop the item where I want.

Jul 31, 2012 4:20 AM in response to sisoft

🙂 Great, this is the final solution to solve all problem I reported. This solved my question .

After unintalling Air Display, dragged icon now can be dropped as expected just after reboot. Hot corner can work as expected just after reboot. Menu bar can be shown properly in full screen mode when mouse was moved to the top as expected just after reboot.

Without uninstall, the workaround is to wait for an hour for my ML to be stablized. It means that after about one hour, those problem would then be resolved automatically, but it means I cannot reboot my ML if do not want to wait.

Aug 14, 2012 12:51 PM in response to Craig11

That is exactly what triggered the same issues that I'm seeing. I rebooted after re-installing my Display-Link drivers and could not get the menu-bar in full-screen mode, nor could I drag and drop anything. Put the MBP to sleep and after waking up, all seemed well. Hopefully this is something addressed in 10.8.1 when it gets released to the public...

Sep 25, 2012 6:50 AM in response to fountainjim

Some more info to add in case it helps someone, AirParrot will trigger this drag n' drop problem:

http://airparrot.com/support.php#dragDrop

Supposedly the problem is a set of drivers for certain Nvidia cards that are buggy.

I believe that the ultimate problem may be Apple's since I ran into this with iDisplay also - although I guess you could argue that multiple developers are making similar mistakes.

In any case, I was able to workaround the problem by turnning off my screensaver. I can live with Energy Saver sleeping the display instead of the usual animated neon moebius strip.

K

drag n drop not dropping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.