Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari not working in proxied network

We access the internet through a proxy. Since installing mountain lion this morning, it refuses to load any pages from the internet. Given me "You are not connected to the Internet" error messages.

Local servers are accessible and the network is working because I can access the internet with firefox just fine.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 17, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 16G RAM, core i7 @ 2.5Ghz

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 8:09 PM

12 replies

Jul 26, 2012 7:27 PM in response to drekka

GOT IT!

Apple changed the valid locations where Safari can read it's proxy pac file from.

As I understand it (much help from this thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4136735 ), Safari reads the network settings when it starts up and if a proxy pac file is defined, it reads the file.

However - and this is the important thing - it is only allowed to read it from a list of specific locations. If it's anywhere else, Safari will fail to read it (silently) and simply not work. You can validate this by looking for this error in your system logs:

27/07/12 12:59:42.243 AM sandboxd[24973]: ([24972]) WebProcess(24972) deny file-read-data /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/custom-proxy.pac

This is where it gets a little tricky, in Mountain Lion the list of valid locations appear to have changed. You need to look in (and this is different from Snow Leopard and Lion)

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/WebKit2.framework/WebProcess.app/Contents/Reso urces/com.apple.WebProcess.sb

To see the list.

In my case I created the /Library/Managed\ Preferences directory which did not exist. Copied the pac file there, set the new location in my network preferences and restarted Safari to get it to read the file.

Now everything works.

Apr 26, 2013 8:19 AM in response to Tim Kimpton

Need people to do bug reports to Apple.

The way it works is that they may mark it duplicate but the more they get, then the higher it gets shifted up the ladder and a more higher priority it gets!

If we want this fixed rather than having to hack it all the time we need it reported that we want Safari and what ever frameworks it uses to respect and adhere to the settings set in the System proxy settings!

safari not working in proxied network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.