Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old school drag-and-drop with trackpad no longer possible?

In Mountain Lion, the old-school drang-and-drop trackpad gesture no longer works. That would be double-tab-hold-drag.

There is now an option for a three-finger drag, which is just mind blowingly unnatural.

Is there a preference or special command that can bring back good old trackpad drag and drop?

Thank yuou.

😕

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 1:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 2:01 AM

🙂

system preferences>accessibility>mouse and trackpad>trackpad options>enable dragging(without drag lock). *catches breath*

sorry I am having difficulty uploading an image.

18 replies

Sep 2, 2012 9:49 AM in response to Gabriel_Rdc

There's a tip that makes the new three finger drag and drop very nice indeed.

To drag over long distance (or even short distances) put your index finger, and second and third finger down. But then lift your index finger and gesture with it to guide and flick the item. Try it to move a window -- three fingers on the title bar, then slide and flick with your index finger. Or to resize a window, by doing the same in the upper left hand corner. It turns out to be much better than the old double-tab and drag technique.

Dragging to select text is probably still easier using the keyboard: Double click to highlight the first work, then shift-option (or arrow) to select additional words.

Sep 3, 2012 3:57 PM in response to MaxWisconsin

Let me tell you that I LOVE the 3-finger drag, and found out that for dragging long distances I can actually drag from one side of the trackpad to other, lift my hand, reposition it at the other end and continue dragging (obviously, I need to do it fast or the drag will end). To me it's more natural than double tap + hold or placing 3 fingers and flicking the index.

Nov 12, 2012 7:35 PM in response to anselmo Stiffan

To anselmo Stiffan:

Which problem did you solve: the double click with one tap or three finger drag? I too have aluminum 2008 MacBook, and I found the preferences and accessibility section but seem to fail in finding the right combo of preferences I'm used to or like. Ok, so the three finger drag is good, but click or tab... drives me bonkers!!! Everything was fine for me even after updating to Mountin Lion back in July 2012, but then all of a sudden in October 'my trackpad doesn't work the same. I don't even want to get on the computer anymore, because I'm annoyed and I cannot click on my user account to login with plugging in a mouse or using keyboard shortcut functions. It's hit or miss with my trackpad working, it freezes after awhile, then I have to plug in the darn mouse. I checked my trackpad firmware, it said up to date....I may have to actually start a new discussion??? But to continue venting... Some menu's need one tap, some require double tap... I cannot use one click unless its set to left or right for alternate menu's. Its just bad in my carpel tunnel and frustrating... I've been searching discussions for similar issues and I saw this. I saw you had an older Mac? It's funny how I switched over 4 years to Mac and mine is almost obsolete? I'm afraid to take it in only to pay more money. I guess my real question besides double clicking option would be if other folks with "the older Aluminum" 2008 MacBook models are having similar problems?

Nov 12, 2012 11:09 PM in response to DJ Jenn

I quote the reply of "The smoke monster":

system preferences>accessibility>mouse and trackpad>trackpad options>enable dragging(without drag lock)

Initially I didn't realise where the accessibility preference was. In System Preferences do not click on Trckpad because the option is not there. Look down on the right side and you find the Accessibility; then follow the instructions as per above.

My MacBook trackpad is now back to one year ago behaviour.

Anselmo

Jul 6, 2013 10:22 AM in response to Gabriel_Rdc

I have a mid-2009 13" MBP that I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion to Mountain Lion. Doing this saved the

"settings" from OS to OS. I ran into some problems when doing a restore, and had to deselect "tap to click." In doing so, it apparently wiped the preferences for clicking with the trackpad. When I re-selected tap to click, I was no longer able to double-tap to drag. I too was going to revert to snow leopard in effort to regain double tap to drag - three finger drag is non-sense!

After following your steps, double tap to drag is working perfectly. You're digging definitely saved me time and effort, much appreciated!

Old school drag-and-drop with trackpad no longer possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.