Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I sync reminders with Google ?

OSX Mountain Lion and iOS experts : how can I sync Reminders on my iPhone with Google (Tasks?) ?

In Mountain Lion : I can choose Google as the Reminder account, although nothing is sync'ing.

And in iOS, it's even worse : I can't even choose Google for reminders (only iCloud).

So why would I not use iCloud then on both devices (desktop and iOS)? Well, because I'd like to use Google as the calendar (for sharing purposes with non-iCloud users) and apparantly, it's not possible to link reminders to iCloud without also linking your calendar to iCloud?! (It's one single item in Mountain Lion in the iCloud settings : "Calenders & Reminders").

Am I missing something?

Many thanks,

Kris

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 10:29 AM

Yeah, using Mountain Lion's new features using only Google services (not iCloud) seems either at best confusing and at worst down right broken. Here's my setup so far:

I've got my Google Calendar & Reminders hooked up to OSX. The Calendar is working fine, although I've no idea how or why Reminders get synced on Google's side. Like you say there doesn't seem to be any way to sync Google Reminders with iOS. The new Calendar app is downright ugly, I reckon I'll be sticking to using Google's web app, but by setting it up like this at least I get Calendar notifications in the notification centre.

I'm also syncing Calendar & Reminders under iCloud too, but just not taking any notice of or using the default iCloud calendar that appears. I then enabled syncing iCloud Reminders on my iPhone, so now Reminders are syncing both ways between OSX and my phone.

Pretty messy, but it works.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2012 10:29 AM in response to kvdv

Yeah, using Mountain Lion's new features using only Google services (not iCloud) seems either at best confusing and at worst down right broken. Here's my setup so far:

I've got my Google Calendar & Reminders hooked up to OSX. The Calendar is working fine, although I've no idea how or why Reminders get synced on Google's side. Like you say there doesn't seem to be any way to sync Google Reminders with iOS. The new Calendar app is downright ugly, I reckon I'll be sticking to using Google's web app, but by setting it up like this at least I get Calendar notifications in the notification centre.

I'm also syncing Calendar & Reminders under iCloud too, but just not taking any notice of or using the default iCloud calendar that appears. I then enabled syncing iCloud Reminders on my iPhone, so now Reminders are syncing both ways between OSX and my phone.

Pretty messy, but it works.

Jul 26, 2012 10:31 AM in response to kvdv

Yes thank you for this question! I do not want to have an @me email address for crying out loud! I am using google and I am more than happy with it. It is a great email provider - sorry Apple u have done a lot of better stuff with your hardware/software. But there is no advantage for us consumers to switch to the @me addresses - except the one that u seem to have created here.

Please do not turn into an evil data sucking vampire company. I would hate you for this and abandon your products. nobody likes data sucking mega corporations.

Please enable reminder syncing with google asap. Show your consumer that u still like them.

Jul 26, 2012 11:33 AM in response to Patman1890

I let them create an @me email address for me (I guess you need to do this to get Notes and Reminders syncing properly right now) but I have no intention of using it! I don't have any Mail accounts set up on Mountain Lion, neither Gmail or an @me address (just planning on using Gmail in Chrome), but Notes and Reminders are syncing fine under iCloud.

Jul 26, 2012 10:25 PM in response to kvdv

You cannot sync Google Tasks with Reminders but there is a way to sync everything the way you want it. In your iPhone go to Settings and Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Under Accounts in your Gmail make sure that your Google Calendar is set to ON. Then go to Accounts and iCloud and make sure that Calendars is set to OFF but that Reminders is set to ON.

Now move to the Mac. In System Preferences - Mail, Contacts & Calendars add your Gmail account and select Mail (if you want) and Calendars & Reminders. This will only Sync your Mail and your Google Calendar, not your Google Tasks. Google Tasks will not actually be anywhere I have no clue why it says Reminders there. Next add a new iCloud account and select Calendars & Reminders. Since you are only using iCloud for Reminders and are not actually using the calendar anywhere since you have everything configured to sync with Google, you should not have to worry about duplicating events or reminders in any way. The only annoyance is that in iCal you will have to go to Preference (just once) and make sure that your Google Calendar is set as your default calendar so all events will get added to the right place. There will also be 2 iCloud calendars listed called "Home" and "Work" but you can just uncheck those and never use them for anything. Now you will have all your GCal events in iCal and all your iCloud Reminders in Reminders syncing seamlessly on both your phone and computer. Hope this helps! 🙂

Jul 27, 2012 1:38 AM in response to kvdv

This was the solution for me :

If you are a Google user like me (Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Contacts) you will probably run into trouble getting the Reminders and Notes working. After trying a lot of things I just gave up and decided to stick with Google, except for the Reminders and Notes. In other words : I'm now using iCloud for these two and it works perfectly : very fast and without any trouble whatsoever. There seems to be a catch because of the fact that Notes are tied with a @me.dcom email address and Reminders are tied with an Apple iCloud Calendar, but in fact, you can just ignore them and keep using Google for that.

In other words: I let Apple create an iCloud Calendar when enabling iCloud Reminders, but I'm not using the Calendar and I let Apple create an @me.com email address but I'm not using it. To use Notes and Reminders I'm using the apps on my iPhone and Macbook for that. I can also login to iCloud.com using any browser to access Notes by opening the iCloud email app and Reminders by opening the iCloud Calendar app. Later this year, Apple will even provide seperate Notes and Reminders icons on the iCloud website so it will be even more transparant.

So, Google for : mail, calendar, contacts

iCloud for : Safari, Notes, Reminders, Find my Mac, PhotoStream

For Documents, I'm not using neither Google or iCloud for the moment... it's up to you to decide.

This solution has no drawback as far as I know and it works perfectly.

Jul 27, 2012 5:06 AM in response to kvdv

Here is what i did...

Google for contacts, e-mail, calendar, reminders do not sync.

create a me.com address to link phones/pads/macs and only enable reminders.

not perfect but works. and you can also add a couple of the useful things about icloud as well such as photo stream and find my mac.

iCloud- it just doesn't work (as well as you want it to)

Jul 29, 2012 2:55 AM in response to kvdv

I found this in Reminders' help section;

Set up your reminder accounts

If you have multiple accounts that contain reminders (for example, iCloud, Exchange, and Yahoo! accounts), you can set them all up in Mail, Contacts & Calendars preferences, and then see all your reminders in Reminders.

Reminders supports CalDAV and Microsoft Exchange accounts. Any other accounts (for example, Google accounts) won’t appear in Reminders.

Too bad that doesn't work. I hope they fix this in a coming update, as it looks like I won't be using Reminders until they do.

Jul 29, 2012 3:58 AM in response to BikeMystery

Cheers for that BikeMystery. So yeah, if you mainly use Google Services then the only way to get Reminders and Notes syncing between OSX ML and your iOS deviceis to activate Notes and Reminders under iCloud and create an @me address and an iCloud calendar. That's a bit pants really.

If you do have an Exchange or Yahoo! account set up in Mail, Contacts & Calendars does that allow Notes & Reminders to sync with iOS without iCloud?

Aug 27, 2012 10:45 AM in response to BikeMystery

Too bad that on the list of changes that Mountain Lion brings we find this wonderful announcement:

Multiple accounts

Reminders works with CalDAV services like Google Calendar and Yahoo! Calendar. You can also create reminders that appear only on your Mac.

Not very consistent in my book.... Will stick to the complicated (though workable) solution for now. I am definitely not prepared to give up gmail any time soon, and neither is my company.

Nov 4, 2012 4:16 AM in response to kvdv

If you configure GMail as GMail and not as Exchange on your iPhone you are at least able to sync your notes to Google. Unfortunately with GMail as GMail configured there is no option for syncing contacts or shared calendars. The fix that I configured GMail once as Exchange and once as GMail with only notes activated there.

@w1nt3rmut3: pls shorten your post... looks ugly. thx.

Dec 17, 2012 4:08 PM in response to kvdv

I've just deleted and then re-added my Google account to my iPad (and iPhone,) using the Exchange setup, and now "Reminders" does appear as something I can sync (alongside Mail, Contacts, and Calendars.)

(Reminders did not appear their previously.)

Too bad this Exchange setup is goong away for non-paid Google users, come February 2013:

http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2716936

I think I'll just go back to using iCloud to sync Reminders.

Dec 17, 2012 4:39 PM in response to pnfigaroa

Yes. 6.0.1 to be exact. I got "Reminders" to appear as a syncable component in the Google/Exchange setup on iOS, but with brief testing couldn't actually get Reminders to sync this way between iPhone/iPad/Mac. And so, as I said, I'm just going to revert to syncing Reminders via iCloud instead. Especially because this Exchange/ActiveSync method for syncing free Google accounts is going away in 2013 anyway.

How can I sync reminders with Google ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.