Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes cannot locate my music from my external hard drive

I am using the most uptodate software for mac book and itunes. Having followed all other discussions and located the media folder using preferences itunes still cannot locate my music, this is really frustating! All of my music is the the itunes media folder within the itunes folder on my external harddrive and it still wont find the music. Futher to this my library should have about 50,000 songs in it but itunes library is only showing 354 songs that all have the ! sign beside them.

Please can someone help me as this is annoying!

PS. this method worked fine on my windows until itunes had updated, since the recent update and my move to macbook pro my media cannot be found

MacBook Pro, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 12:02 PM

11 replies

Jul 26, 2012 12:17 PM in response to turingtest2

i have always run my music from my external harddrive so have never had to move the files to a computer/mac so this is why i wish to keep them there, also because it is over 500gb.

selecting a track and getting info itunes says it is in the file i would expect it to be in.

User uploaded file

my itunes library.itl file is located in the itunes file on the external hard drive, same file as the itunes media file

Jul 26, 2012 12:32 PM in response to misstoffeepenny

Oops, excuse me I think I misread the initial problem. 😕

This solution might be more on track, though I don't understand why the 354 songs your library does list are broken...

Empty/corrupt library after upgrade/crash

Hopefully it's not been too long since you last upgraded iTunes, in fact if you get an empty/incomplete library immediately after upgrading then with the following steps you shouldn't lose a thing or need to do any further housekeeping. In the Previous iTunes Libraries folder should be a number of dated iTunes Library files. Take the most recent of these and copy it into the iTunes folder. Rename iTunes Library.itl as iTunes Library (Corrupt).itl and then rename the restored file as iTunes Library.itl. Start iTunes. Should all be good, bar any recent additions to or deletions from your library.

User uploaded file

See MusicFolder Files Not Added and Super Remove Dead Tracks for tools to catch up with any changes since the backup file was created.

tt2

iTunes cannot locate my music from my external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.