Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set snooze duration for Mountain Lion notifications

I have just upgraded to Mountain Lion and absolutely love it. My computer is faster and everything works more fluidly.

One change I don't particularly like is that I cannot set the length of time with which my notifications "snooze".

In the past, I'd get a reminder and I'd be able to specify whether I would be reminded in the next 5 mins to 2 weeks. Now the only option is 15 minutes.

Does anyone know how to tell Notification Center how long I want my reminders to snooze??

Thanks.

-Jeremy

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, 4GB RAM

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 3:40 PM

191 replies

Jul 27, 2012 4:17 AM in response to Jeremy J. Dodd

Basically I do welcome Notification Center in Mountain Lion. But me too I'm really missing the ability to choose from various snooze times like in Lion and all the previous OSes. I used to use this a lot with iCal reminders, sometimes snoozing for 15 min, for 2 hours or sometimes even for a week. It was a good and flexible system. Please Apple, could you bring this back?

Werner

Jul 31, 2012 10:16 PM in response to Jeremy J. Dodd

I'm sure there are about 15 million other of us who noticed this flaw within seconds of installing Mountain Lion. The notification system is one of the most prominent features of Mountain Lion. How could Apple dare be this sloppy? This is outrageous.

I for one am not going to ooh and aah over Mountain Lion if it has a flaw this glaring.

What an amateurish gaffe. I really hope this isn't the beginning of the answer to the question, will Apple fall apart without Jobs?

Aug 1, 2012 1:43 PM in response to Jeremy J. Dodd

I'm surprised and disappointed too. I rely absolutely on a system of reminders for various events, some of which I like to defer for a day or even a week, others of which I like to defer just for five minutes. Microsoft Office actually offers more options for time of deferral than iCal used to, so I was hoping Apple would add to their offerings, not remove them entirely. I really hope they bring this back soon -- it's enough to make me switch from iCal to the Google calendar.

Aug 3, 2012 9:47 AM in response to mynameisgabe

Everyone, please submit feedback directly to Apple here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html)

If we get enough people speaking up, hopefully they'll issue a fix in their first OS update.

Here's a sample submission you can just cut & paste to make things easier (obviously, embellishments are my own):

----

The new OS is amazing. Mountain Lion is significant improvement over Snow Leopard, and it's obvious.

That said, I am missing one thing from Snow Leopoard, and that is the ability to set the snooze time on my calendar reminders.

I know I am not alone in this desire (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4141605?start=30&tstart=0).

I hope that you can not just return the variable snooze times for ical reminders, but make them better than they've ever been.

Thanks!

----

Again, the goal is to get Apple to issue a fix in their first OS update. If enough of us submit feedback, it can happen!!!

-Jeremy

PS: the link in the mock submission is to another thread with 30 times as many comments as this one.

Aug 7, 2012 7:16 AM in response to Addle

Addle wrote:

I'm sure there are about 15 million other of us who noticed this flaw within seconds of installing Mountain Lion. The notification system is one of the most prominent features of Mountain Lion. How could Apple dare be this sloppy? This is outrageous.

I for one am not going to ooh and aah over Mountain Lion if it has a flaw this glaring.

What an amateurish gaffe. I really hope this isn't the beginning of the answer to the question, will Apple fall apart without Jobs?

This along with the inability to sort reminders except by manually dragging them makes me think Apple's software development process is really starting to fall short. Espcially since, as you point out, Notifications was touted as such a cool new feature. Now they've made it unusable!

I left my 2¢ and then some in their feedback loop, hope everyone else does.

Aug 10, 2012 10:48 AM in response to Jeremy J. Dodd

Two things are badly, badly wrong with the notification center:

1. Lack of options to set snooze to remind in 1 hour, 1 day etc. just like the original iCal. This has rendered my Mac totally useless in my task management.

2. Lack of options to set aler banner location. Top right is extremely inconvenient for me. I've always got stuff up there I need to access frequently in my workflow. Safari tabs, bookmarks, Safari Reader, website menus, etc. Now I'm compelled to "snooze" various alerts incessantly to keep working. Option to display alerts in other screen corners should be a no brainer. Bottom right is much better, well - it should be easy to give the user many options with this.

I am skeptical about the direction Apple is going with the OS. It gets more bloated every time, and clarity, functionality is compromised. Maybe they release too soon, without properly thinking / testing. No longer can one say "it just works", because it frequently doesn't. I'm sure there's a lot of amazing stuff going on deep inside the code, but the improvements are not readily apparent to the user. They used to be so good at usability.

Very sloppy. I still love my Mac, and the OS, too, but for the first time in almost 10 years I'm developing an interest in Windows, they say Windows 7 is pretty good.

Come on, Apple. A lot of this stuff should be pretty basic. Let's hope the next update will fix these things. Looking forward to it.

Sep 12, 2012 5:22 AM in response to Jeremy J. Dodd

If Apple doesn't fix this ridiculous oversight, I'd like to know a way to disable it and simply rely on my reminders from Microsoft Outlook 2011. At least with that solution, I can snooze something minutes, hours, days, and even weeks.

John Gruber frequently brags how much Apple does everything perfectly, but this is a great example how Apple does sometimes drop the ball, and in this case, it is a ridiculous overisght that has been already reported and should have been fixed by now.

Sep 30, 2012 9:06 AM in response to Kingdaddy

Few days ago my MBP 13" mid 2012 still run well Lion... just before 10.7.5 update messed completely Spotlight indexing and TM backup tasks. These problems (described in several threads on this forum) also probably corrupted my Time Machine backup. I spent 3 days trying everything that could be tempted: no way to fix it.

Spending more time to reinstall system from Clone or else, I finally decided to try Mountain Lion (not that brand new anymore) upgrade.

In 2012, at our computing age, Apple's developpers are still allergic to "variables" in their apps, "variables" that would give possibility to customize snooze time (like in Busycal for instance). It's certainly easier to offer only few "hard coded" choices (and not always very logic, don't hesitate to tell me if "Repeat in 1 minute" in iCal snooze time choices is very useful).

But not having a single possibility to set/choose snooze time for Apple Calendar alerts is as much unbelievably stupid that it is very unreliable for customers 😠.

Notification Center is great improvement at first glance but such regression makes Calendar and Reminders almost unusable.

Besides the whole workflow based on iCloud is disrupted 😕.

Apple's decision-makers obviously never have serious jobs, appointments... to fullfil, they might spend their time playing (and preferably with our productivity and our nerves)!

Apple wants to be ahead? Good! But IMO emergency is to turn professional first ⚠

Set snooze duration for Mountain Lion notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.