Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rosetta Stone (v.4.1.15) Error 8111 under Mountain Lion

When launching Rosetta Stone v. 4.1.15 under OS X Mountain Lion, I'm getting the following error during the license verification process:

"8111 There was a minor error. Click OK to continue. -1"

Before I upgraded my Mac from Lion (where Rosetta Stone was working) to Mountain Lion, I had replaced my hard drive on the Mac. So, I first powered down my Mac and pulled out the existing drive with Lion and working Rosetta Stone on it and replaced it with a brand new hard drive (larger capacity). Then I installed Mountain Lion on the new drive. Then I used the existing Time Machine backup and Time Machine restore function of Mac OS to bring personal files, applications, and settings from the backup (made in Lion) into the newly installed Mountain Lion. Every other application (besides Rosetta Stone) that I had installed under Lion worked in Mountain Lion after this process was completed.

I called Rosetta Stone support, and the gentlemen I spoke with thought that the problem was due to me not having deactivated the license under Lion, so the Rosetta Stone license verification server was thinking that I was trying to activate Rosetta stone on a third computer with the same Activation Code. So today I decided to boot up my Mac with the old drive that still has Lion installed on it. Once my Mac booted up, I launched Rosetta Stone, and the license verification completed normally, so I was able to use Rosetta Stone. Then I deactivated the Rosetta Stone license under Lion and received a Deactivation Code. After that, I was given a confirmation message that the deactivation succeeded. Then, I booted my Mac into Mountain Lion, launched Rosetta Stone, entered the Activation Code, and received the same exact 8111 error. I have now tried to activate the Rosetta Stone license under Mountain Lion several times, and I keep getting the same 8111 error.

So, the problem was not with Rosetta Stone license verification server thinking that I was trying to activate a third computer with the same Activation Code. Before I upgraded to Mountain Lion, I had Rosetta Stone software activated on two Macs with the same Activation Code. I am NOT trying to install this software on a third Mac. I am trying to run it on the same Mac that I was running it before I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion.

To me it looks like there is a problem between Rosetta Stone and Mountain Lion in that for some reason the verification of Rosetta Stone Activation Code is failing under Mountain Lion, whereas it is working fine under Lion.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 11:12 AM

24 replies

Jul 31, 2012 2:58 PM in response to sirozha

After several days of going back and forth with Rosetta Stone support, and their useless advice, I finally figured out how to get Rosetta Stone TOTALe 4 to work under OS 10.8 Mountain Lion. Below are the instructions; follow them attentively, and you should get Rosetta Stone TOTALe 4 working under Mountain Lion.

Getting Rosetta Stone 4 to work under OS 10.8 Mountain Lion

1. Download the Rosetta Stone package from http://www.rosettastone.com/v4upgrade

2. In the Finder, search for "rosetta stone kind:app" without quotes.

3. Drag the "Rosetta Stone TOTALe" application to Trash. This is your existing installation of Rosetta Stone TOTALe that doesn't work under Mountain Lion.

4. In the Finder, go to /Library/Application Support/Rosetta Stone/TOTALe and locate the file "tracking.db3" (without quotes).

5. Select this file and hit the "Return" key on the keyboard.

6. Rename this file to "tracking-backup.db3" (without quotes).

7. Click on Apple, click on System Preferences and go to Security and Privacy > General; under "Allow applications downloaded from:" select "Anywhere".

8. Go to the Downloads folder and find the file "Rosetta_Stone_TOTALe.dmg" (without quotes) that was downloaded in Step 1.

9. Double-click on this file. Then in the window that opens, double-click on the "Rosetta Stone TOTALe.mpkg" file (without quotes).

10. Install the Rosetta Stone TOTALe application.

11. In the Finder, locate the mounted package with the Rosetta Stone installer and eject it. (This step is important in order to be able to locate the updater package later on.)

12. Quit the Rosetta Stone TOTALe application.

13 In the Spotlight or Finder, search for "rosetta stone kind:app" without quotes.

14. Launch the newly installed Rosetta Stone TOTALe application.

15. The application will prompt you to download an update.

16. Agree to downloading the update and wait until the download is finished.

17. The application will tell you that the update was downloaded successfully and that once you hit "OK" it will launch the updater. However, it does not launch the updater. Instead, you should open the Finder, and under DEVICES locate the mounted updater package.

18. Click on the mounted updater package and run the updater application.

19. Once the updater application finishes, quit it.

20. In the Spotlight or Finder, search for "rosetta stone kind:app" without quotes.

21. Launch the newly updated Rosetta Stone TOTALe applicatoin.

22. You will be prompted for the activation key. Enter the activation key that came with your Rosetta Stone Software.

23. Quit the Rosetta Stone TOTALe application.

24. In the Finder, go to /Library/Application Support/Rosetta Stone/TOTALe and locate the file "tracking.db3" (without quotes).

25. Drag the "tracking.db3" file to Trash.

26. In the same location (/Library/Application Support/Rosetta Stone/TOTALe), find the "tracking-backup.db3" file, select it, and press "Return".

27. Rename the "tracking-backup.db3" file to "tracking.db3".

28. In the Spotlight or Finder, search for "rosetta stone kind:app" without quotes.

29. Click on the Rosetta Stone TOTALe application. It should launch with the user progress that you had before you upgraded to OS 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Aug 2, 2012 8:20 AM in response to sirozha

I also solved the problem (and I was not reading carefully, I only have 10.7.4, not Mountain Lion 10.8).

However, I can help some users I'll bet. Go to http://rosettastone.com and sign in using your email address and password you used to set up TOTALe. The site will then check your system. If you're like me, your version of Rosetta Stone Daemon will be out of date (something.7 instead of something.8). Upgrade it and voila - activation will work.

Here is a link for those who can't remember the password. However, it may not work if your'e not logged in, I have not tried it.

http://resources.rosettastone.com/rs3/updates/speech/executables/3.2.18/macintos h/RosettaStoneLtdServices.dmg

Aug 16, 2012 8:18 AM in response to CelloG

Hi there,

I need your help badly. I am running 10.7.4 Lion, and I'm getting 'Fatal Application Error #1141' everytime I try and open Rosetta Stone V4.1.10 and 4.1.15. I'm tempted to just upgrade to 10.8 and follow the above steps if it is working, and the Rosetta support team want to make me bury myself alive. After an hour of conversation, I was told I had to wait until Monday to be refered to 'Tier 2'. It is Thursday.

One thing they did say however, was that there should be a Rosetta Stone Daemon file present in Activity Monitor when I launch the Rosetta App. There is no such thing. Not even after I've downloaded the link you provided.

Could you please guide me through everything you did to make your Rosetta work on 10.7.4?

Thanks for your time.

Aug 26, 2012 10:11 AM in response to sirozha

Well as I upgraded to my new mackbook pro and used a time capsule backup to move all my programs to the new macbook, it appears that the only program trashed was Rosetta Stone. You will need to contact supprot to deactivate it on your old computer and then reaccitivate it on your new computer. Problem was activation failed. I was told to reinstall the program, but the install also failed. So not getting help from rosetta stone support, I found on the internet to update Adobe AIR (did not help) and then found the 29 step process above, which actually worked! The links they gave me from Rosetta stone would not install (nor would my original disks!), but the link above worked. You would think by now they would have fixed the update problem, but in Mountain Lion, it does not update as discussed above in step 17. The only changes to the directions above are that you have to locate a different update package since they have a newer update (4.5.5 as of now). Look for a file of around 130MB that says 4.5.5 update when you "get Info" on it. It will not show it in the filename, nor does the filename say it is an update. Run this installer, put back your tracking file and you are good to go!

Jeff

Dec 8, 2012 11:09 PM in response to sirozha

I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.2, and just ran into this issue tonight after doing a Time Machine restore with 2 Rosetta Stone languages installed (Chinese and Spanish) and have found (I believe) a much easier fix than described above.

I noticed the error message in Console:

12/8/12 11:02:11.320 PM RosettaStoneDaemon[2669]: This process is attempting to exclude an item from Time Machine by path without administrator privileges. This is not supported.

I then enabled my root user in the Terminal with:

'sudo passwd root'

It will ask you for the root password. If you've already got a root user set, then ignore that part.

Log into your computer from the Login Window as the root with the password you just set and launch Rosetta Stone. I then entered the Activation Codes for both languages and it activated successfully. I then logged out and back in with my normal Admin user and launched Rosetta Stone and everything appears to be back to normal.

Hope this works for everyone.

Rosetta Stone (v.4.1.15) Error 8111 under Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.