Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

synchronizing Notes to iphone (without using iCloud of course)

Hello.

I can't find a way to synchronize Notes to my iPhone directly (using internet based services like iCloud for personal data out of the question of course). How?

Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, 6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 Memory, ATI Radeon HD 4870

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 9:58 AM

16 replies

Jul 31, 2012 6:07 AM in response to BlueVFR

Hello, thanks for your reply. I don't think I have an e-mail account enabled for notes (and reminders, by the way), and if I had, I wouldn't use, it, for the same reason. But—this goes to all who read this and to apple in particular—am I to understand that there is acutally no way to synchronize these items other than uploading it to the company? That would in fact be completely outrageous and a reason to start seriously hacking the system.

Jul 31, 2012 1:37 PM in response to esa ceduti

I think Reminders actually uses Calenders, but I haven't got that working yet, either locally or through iCloud etc.

If you have any IMAP email (Perhaps even hotmail/gmail??) I think you can use Notes with it.

But, I've so far found no way to sync Notes without syncing through somebody's internet company (whether Apple in the iCloud or my own ISP email company). Apple wants us all in the cloud. Its seriously rude to be honest.

Aug 7, 2012 6:12 PM in response to BlueVFR

sorry, of course this doesn't solve anything, I pressed the wrong button and can't see how to undo it. I will under no circumstances sync anything via internet. It's time to hack all this, as it is time to rise the walls of data protection. (And after all, maybe the question will go away. I won't use an iphone anymore anyways, I think, since the only way to make sure one isn't monitored is to take out a phone's batteries.)

Aug 8, 2012 2:38 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

Pretty sure, that like many who used to sync through iTunes to Mail, he'd like to sync to his desktop without having to put all his notes onto the internet.

I'd have preferred to do that to, sync through iTunes to Notes on the desktop. However Apple have left no option to do that with the new Notes program on ML. It has to be through an IMAP email account (I'm doing it but its not through iCloud, its through my ISP). I'm not happy about it but I'll live with it. If you don't have a @me.com account, you have to set one up to sync notes, and this will give you another Apple ID as well. I don't want to manage two if I can help it.

With a couple of recent incidents (like the journo who had the lot deleted from MacBook, iPad and iPhone) remember just because it's cloud doesn't mean its totally secure and backed up.

Aug 8, 2012 2:36 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

iTunes, Wlan, as I sync calendars, contacts, media files if desired. In 10.7 / Lion, Notes did sync over iTunes. They were integrated in Mail on the mac and a standalone application on the iPhone, but did sync through iTunes. Well. That is the way it was, and I don't see why it didn't just stay that way. But you ask how I'd like it to be. I think having reminders on the mac and notes as a standalone application is not a bad thing, but I'd like them both to be synchronized over iTunes along with everything else. If you're asking about a possible hack, I don't really mind. Maybe an unsupported yet operational application named gettheheckoutofmydata.app that synchronizes them directly over wlan. What would be your suggestion?

Aug 8, 2012 2:48 AM in response to esa ceduti

You can drag a Pages document - or other text file - to a compatible app in iTunes to be opened on your iOS device? Don't save the doc to iCloud but locally only. It's in the File Sharing section under the Apps tab of your iOS device in iTunes. You can see a list of apps that you have installed there. Would that work?

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any chance of Apple going backwards and abandoning iCloud - or whatever the next iteration of their cloud offering will be.

Aug 9, 2012 5:45 PM in response to Olive123

I agree in part with Olive123, but I will not go to windows. I want to sync all my data locally, not using iCloud or a email account, and now I can't.

I think Apple should give the option. iCloud is a mess for me with a lot of time sync my devices locally and when i turned to use iCloud I had a lot of problems, duplicates eveywhere etc.

Please Apple give me options!!!!

synchronizing Notes to iphone (without using iCloud of course)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.