Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal notification from shared calendars

Hello,

I'm using iCal for sharing my work calendar with my wife. Every time, when I chage something in my calendar, my wife gets notification in her iCal

User uploaded file

It would be ok with just one event. However, I'm working shifts (hopefully that's correct expresion 🙂) and every month I add about 20 events, so my wife gets 20 notifications with the button "OK". In OS X Lion, the calendar just changed and that was all. In Mountain Lion it shows you notification about everything. Can I turn it off somehow?

Thanks 🙂

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 10:28 AM

64 replies

Jul 29, 2012 11:55 AM in response to jakudo

Ooookay. Well, have you also tried deleting and re-subscribing to those calendars (quit Calendar in between)? Or blown away the preferences file?

Are both of you using Mountain Lion? You referred to "iCal" not "Calendar", which may have just been an accident, but maybe there's some hitch if you're not both using ML... clearly I've gone to guessing. Sorry I don't have an answer for you afterall.

Jul 29, 2012 12:05 PM in response to sandrift

Sorry, my mistake. It is Calendar, I didn't know that iCal has been renamed to Calendar:)

Yes, all macs are using Mountain Lion (I've triet that between 4 Macs and 4 accounts) and it is the same on all of them (maybe it's some new feature of ML).

Preferences file? Where can I find it?

No problem, at least you're trying to help 🙂

Jul 29, 2012 12:34 PM in response to jakudo

I'm not optimistic about the preferences file solving this problem, but the preferences folder lives in your Library folder (~/Library). You can get to it by opening a Finder window, then in the Menu bar, choose "Go > Library" while holding the option key. The Finder window should now show your user Library folder. Go to the Preferences folder and find the file com.apple.CalendarAgent.plist and delete it.

Disclaimer: Although deleting preferences files is usually harmless, please make sure you have backed up your computer before you do this, as I'm not responsible if doing so causes problems.

If none of this works, you could send feedback to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ical.html (ironically, still labeled iCal)

or here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

or both!

Aug 5, 2012 12:41 AM in response to Jeremy Angoff

I am having the exact same problem. I can't work out how to turn it off. I've looked in preferences, as well as right clicking on the calendar itself.

My girlfriend uses Lion, with ical and I am on ML with calendar. I turned off the notifications which affects notification centre, but not the invitation portion.

I can't seem to find any resource on the web which deals with this problem either. I will keep trying and report back if I can work it out.

Aug 7, 2012 7:09 AM in response to madruy

Just got off the phone with Apple Support -

The suggestion was go into System Preferences_Notifications_Calendar and set Alert style to None, then RESTART computer.

Have asked wife to do this to see if she stops getting the "notification" in her Calendar -

I have restarted, I am waiting for wife to add an event to her calendar - (she is away from her computer, and I am at the office)

iCal notification from shared calendars

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.