Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MagSafe LED not lighting?

Anyone else here having trouble with the MagSafe connector LEDs not lighting at all?

I don't get either Amber or Green charge indications when the adapter is plugged in - the LEDs remain stubbornly off. Despite this, the battery does charge.

MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Mar 23, 2006 12:56 PM

25 replies

Mar 27, 2006 8:02 AM in response to n5k

Hi,

Look closely at your MagSafe connector. Are all the pins extended? Take a small implement and gently push on each pin. Does it extend again when you remove the pressure on it?

On my MagSafe, two of the pins, the outer two, have lost their springs, it seems. You can push them in and they just stay there. Thus often the MagSafe does not connect with the laptop, it does not charge, behaves as if it were on battery power ('cause it is) and the light on the MagSafe connector remains off.

I can get the pins out by holding its business end facing down and tapping on it (there's clearly very little friction on these pins) or by swinging the connector in an arc and then carefully connect it to the laptop. With a little luck / persistence and no big movements subsequent to connecting it, I can maintain the power connection.

Now, I'm entirely unwilling to send the whole thing (laptop and all) back for replacement, so I'm going to see if (or when) a replacement power brick is available. Fortunately, I work just a few blocks from an Apple store and just a mile or so from a Fry's. Call me foolish, but I'll buy a new power brick before I'll surrender my MacBook to repair an entirely separate component.

Randall Schulz

iMac 20" Core Duo; MacBook Pro Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Mar 27, 2006 10:14 AM in response to Randall Schulz

I have this problem. I sepnt over an hour on the phone to different apple people and eventially they said they would send me a new power supply for free.
Their package arrived today and all they sent me is the plug you put into the adapter to plug into the wall, not the actuall adapter!
Not only that, they sent a US one (2 pins) and I'm in the UK! So even if it were the right part, its for the wrong country!!!!!

I'm very annoyed.
I hate talking to apple too as they never seem to have a clue what I'm on about. Like I said, I was on the phone for over an hour explaining it as they didn't have a clue about the magsafe connector, and I spoke to different people!

Mar 28, 2006 10:00 AM in response to Randall Schulz

I'm hoping that when I take the clearly broken and
clearly unabused unit in to the store they'll swap it
for me on the spot. Clearly it cannot be out of
warranty at this point.

That is what I would expect or that AppleCare would send you one. There is no reason for them to want your MacBook Pro for an obvious problem with the power adapter. They are available as far as I can tell so now would probably a good time to go over lunch or something. Don't forget to sign up for an appointment online before you go though.

Mar 28, 2006 7:38 PM in response to Randall Schulz

Hi,

I took the broken brick with the un-sprung contacts into the Apple store today. The genius (where did they come up with that one?) gave it a quick look and said they'd replace it for no charge. 10 minutes of fiddling with on-line forms, a trip to the back to get the new part, all to the backdrop of a kid playing with some preschool alphabet software that she couldn't get past the 'J' page, and I had my new brick.

It was all no-muss, no-fuss, but I sure hope the problem does not reoccur.

Randall Schulz

iMac 20" Core Duo; MacBook Pro Mac OS X (10.4.5)

May 1, 2006 7:55 AM in response to Mark Moore5

I had a similar problem a 5 days ago. My magsafe connector's LED did not light and therefore, my 2 week-old macbook pro's battery failed to recharge.

I brought it to the apple center to be checked and it annoys me that they could not provide a replacement. I will have to wait for 2 weeks before I can get my adapter back.

Right now, my new MBP is utterly useless. For someone like me who uses the MBP for business, I say it isn't worth having an excellent machine if you can't get a dependable support system (read: BATTERY CHARGER) and a corresponding competent service.

I hope apple will do something about this. Coz if not, I would be forced to conclude that my apple is nothing but a "LEMON."

macbook pro Mac OS X (10.4.6)

May 1, 2006 7:59 AM in response to Mark Moore5

I had a similar problem a 5 days ago. My magsafe connector's LED did not light and therefore, my 2 week-old macbook pro's battery failed to recharge.

I brought it to the apple center to be checked and it annoys me that they could not provide a replacement. I will have to wait for 2 weeks before I can get my adapter back.

Right now, my new MBP is utterly useless. For someone like me who uses the MBP for business, I say it isn't worth having an excellent machine if you can't get a dependable support system (read: BATTERY CHARGER) and a corresponding competent service.

I hope apple will do something about this. Coz if not, I would be forced to conclude that my apple is nothing but a "LEMON."

May 2, 2006 12:24 PM in response to Mark Moore5

I have been experiencing the same problem with the MagSafe connector - it is intermittent and very frustrating. In my case the outside pins are protruding, but the inner ones are recessed - also the middle pin looks very thin (as if a shield or outer wrap has come off the wire. I have contacted a local dealer (I am working 3,000 miles away from my home right now) - if this connector does not get sorted out soon, I am screwed!

May 2, 2006 9:27 PM in response to lewizofoz

In a pinch, you can deal with this issue until a replacement is available.

Get the pins that have lost their springs to extend using either centripital force (swing the cable) or hold it face downward and tap on the connector.

Then set the open MacBook on its side, with the MagSafe socket upward and lower the connector with pins extended onto the socket. You can usually get it to connect like this and charge.

You obviously cannot use it while charging, but it’s better than nothing. It got me through a few days until I got to the store for a replacement.

Randall Schulz

iMac 20" Core Duo; MacBook Pro Mac OS X (10.4.6)

May 3, 2006 8:43 AM in response to Mark Moore5

I'm having this intermittent connection problem, too, but it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the pins in the MagSafe. Occasionally I can get it to light (and therefore power) by jiggling or bending or otherwise manipulating the cord. Can anyone out there help me? Is there a chance it's NOT the cord? How do I talk to Apple about a replacement?

May 8, 2006 6:33 AM in response to Daniel Owen

ive got the same problem. thing is, its the second time!

it first happenned with the outer two pins, and they gave me a replacement brick and plug. i was pleased with this, except a few weeks later its the inner pins that stopped retracting. very annoying.

i manage to charge the mbp, but only when its positioned sideways, with the pins retracted due to gravity. you wouldn't think that a top of the range machine would require such backward methods. another example of a beta version mac (like others, mine makes weird whineing sounds).

will go to the apple store again, but just hope it won't be another mission to get a genius appointment.

MagSafe LED not lighting?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.